‹ Prequel: A Welcome Burden
Status: Please comment!

Blue on Black

Chapter 20

For days I've sat here in the medical bay of the mansion waiting for Chey to wake up. For days she hasn't even moved a muscle and neither have I. I'm just too afraid to leave her side in fear that she'll wake up and I won't be here. Seeing her laying on this slab makes me think back to the day we had arrived here. She looked about the same as she does now and I thought I was going to lose her forever. Now I'm pretty sure I might. Jean hasn't noticed any improvement of her back wounds and she's still losing blood from them. I don't know what to do. I can't just give up on her. She never gave up on me.

"Logan?" I turned my head to see Jean walk into the medical bay.

"Why don't you take a break. I can watch her."

"No. I don't wanna leave her." I said as I gripped her hand tighter.

"You haven't eaten in days. You need to eat."

"I will when she wakes up." I stated.

"Logan...she's going to be alright. I know things looks lousy right now but she will heal. It just takes time."

"Don't you think I know that?" I snapped. Jean lowered her head and I sighed.

"I know you know but sitting her and not eating is not going to help her. If anything happens I'll come and get you." I looked back at my girlfriend before standing up. Jean was right. I needed to eat and sleep to be strong for her.

"You'll let me know if she's waking up?" I asked and Jean nodded her head. I left the medical bay and made my way to the elevator before stepping on.

I hadn't seen Charlie in days. She needs an update on Chey. Once the door opened up to the main part of the mansion I went looking for Charlie. Since the whole incident here at the mansion, Charles gave the students a few weeks off while things were being repaired. I made my way to the cafeteria first and when I entered I immediately spotted Charlie sitting with Storm. I went over to the line and grabbed some food before sitting down bed to them.

"Logan! How's mom? Is she awake yet?" Charlie questioned me as she wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm sorry Charlie. There's no change yet." The little girl's happy face turned sad as she pressed against me.

"Will she get better?"

"Of course she will but it's gonna take some time." I said trying to comfort the girl.

"I wish she would wake up now."

"Me too Charlie...me too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Another week has passed since Chey was last awake and well. During this week, Charlie has come down to see Chey but only a few minutes. She sits and talks to her adoptive mother while I eat and get a couple of hours of sleep. Over this last week, there has been some good news. The wounds to her back have finally began to show signs of healing and the blood loss has stopped. It's still a waiting game to see if she wakes up. I know she's going to though. Chey is strong and can fight through anything that life throws at her.

I sat in my usual spot beside her on a chair holding her hand. I squeeze it ever so often to see if she responds but there's been nothing. In some strange part of me, it's saying that she'll never awake up while the other, and more stronger side, says she'll be up and walking around like nothing ever happened very soon. Right now Charlie is down here in the medical bay with me sitting on the other side of the table. I can tell she's getting tired.

"You should go to bed Charlie." I said looking up at the young child.

"But I'm not tired." After saying that she let out the biggest yawn.

"Yeah right. You have school in the morning so...go on to bed. I'll come and wake you up in the morning." I said as I got up from my seat and went over to her side.

"You promise?"

"Of course sweetheart. You remember the way from here?" I asked and she nodded.

"Goodnight dad." Charlie wrapped her arms around my waist giving me a tight hug. A smile tugged on the corners of my face hearing her call me dad.

"Goodnight Charlie." I said before she let me go and left the medical bay.

I listened to her footsteps as they walked over to where the elevator were. I went back around the table and sat down in my spot taking Chey's hand again. I leaned over next to her ear and placed a gentle kiss to the side of her head. I figured since Charlie always talks to her I would give it a shot.

"Chey...I'm not sure if you can hear me but if you can I want you to listen closely." I paused for a brief moment to sigh, "You know I'm not very good at this. Quite pathetic really but I've never been the open type until I met you. I miss you Chey. I miss your laugh, your smile...hell I miss seeing those eye change color with your moods. Please don't leave us. I need you in my life and so does that little girl. Charlie would be devastated if she lost the biggest influence in her life. Please...please wake up." I whispered into her ear before placing a kiss to her lips.

I sat back in my chair and watched her but his like when I squeeze her hand there's no response. I place my forehead down next to her side and give her hand another squeeze. Suddenly I felt a small squeeze. My head shot up to see Chey with her eyes open.

"Logan."

"Chey." I said as I got up and leaned over her our faces just inches apart.

"You forgot to say I love you." I chuckled lightly as I smiled before kissing her lips. For the first time that I can remember tears came from my eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Cheyenne's POV~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The place around me was like a sea of darkness. That's the only way I could describe what I was experiencing. I wasn't falling but I could feel myself floating in place. Amongst the darkness that surrounded me were voices...voices I was all too familiar with. The voice of my father and his wicked bitch echoed with the voices of my mother, random people I had met, the students at the mansion, Professor Charles Xiaver, Charlie, my bandmates, and Storm. They were all talking at once like a jumbled mess.

The talking seemed to go on for an eternity before a bright light came my way ushering the darkness away. I was blinded by that bright white light and covered my eyes before seeing a flowy silhouette. The silhouette became clearer as it walked towards me. I smiled when I said the figure was my mother. She looked the same before the tragic death took her from me.

"Mom?" I questioned as she smiled right back at me as she held her arms out.

I raced towards her and we engulfed each other. I could feel her touch and the smell of her French Vanilla perfume. She was dressed in the uniform we had buried her in.

"Yes honey it's me."

"God I've missed you so much." I said as I held onto her tightly.

"I've missed you to Cheyenne but you cannot stay here with me."

"What do you mean? Aren't I dead?" I inquired and she shook her head no.

"I'm afraid not darling."

"What is this place?" I asked as I looked around at the solid white exspance.

"This is the midway point between life and death. This is where I've watched over you since my death."

"I always knew you would be. Somehow I could feel it." I said looking up at my mother.

"That's all apart of being what you are. What I have passed down to you."

"You were a mutant?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yes I was but I hid it well from everyone. Your father what I was when we first met. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from him."

"It's okay mom. You know that karma will come back on him." I stated making her chuckle.

"Yes it will." My mom paused as she broke our hug but taking my hands in hers, "Listen baby girl. We don't have much time left. I just wanted you to know that I love you and I'm so proud of what you have become but you can't stay here. There's two people in your life that need you more than anything. One day your time will come and I look forward to meet Logan here before we walk through the gates into our eternal life."

"I don't wanna leave you mom." I said feeling tears well into my changing eyes.

"I know and I don't want you to go either but it must be done. You've defeated Stryker for what he has done and he's paying for his act torture on so many mutants. Take care of Charlie and tell her about me."

"I will." I said nodding my head as my mother began to fade away. I looked down at our hands as her's disappeared and she was gone from sight.

The bright white light once again faded back into darkness. My body floated in the still air as all of the voices were gone. Then a single voice echoed through the dark expanse.

"Chey...I'm not sure if you can hear me but if you can I want you to listen closely. You know I'm not very good at this. Quite pathetic really but I've never been the open type until I met you. I miss you Chey. I miss your laugh, your smile...hell I miss seeing those eye change color with your moods. Please don't leave us. I  need you in my life and so does that little girl. Charlie would be devastated if she lost the biggest influence in her. Please...please wake up."


Hearing Logan's voice break as he spoke broke my heart but suddenly I went flying and I could begin to feel the roughness of Logan's hand. He was squeezing my hand. The next thing to I felt was my hearing come back. A beeping from a machine beside me was annoying and I slowly opened my eyes. I took a quick glance around the room before turning my attention to Logan. I gently squeezed his hand and his head shot right up.

"Logan." I said with a smile on my face.

"Chey." Logan stood up and leaned over me. Our faces were barely inches apart.

"You forgot to say I love you." Logan chuckled before closing the small gap between us and kissing my lips. I looked at Logan's eyes as he shed tears. I've never seen him shed a tear before. I guess there's a first time for everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
**Yes she's awake!

So how am I doing? Let me know in the comment section.

Also there's only one more chapter left in this story so please go to my blog entitled Please Vote.

Thank you and I hope everyone has a great day and week!**