There's Only One for Me

Three/

My heart pounds in my ear as I close the front door.
Allison and Jason came running in, both with towels around their waists; Allie is wearing a pink polka dot bikini and Jason’s wearing blue swimming trunks.

“Daddy!” Allie yells and I smile, despite my mood, and hug them both.

“Enjoying the pool?” I ask with a grin and my children nod enthusiastically, they run out again and soon I hear splashes made in the pool.

“Han?” I ask as I walk up to the kitchen where I hear pots and pans.

“In the kitchen baby”

This is it – the moment of truth.

“Hey” I whisper and let my arms snake around her waist from behind, she turns around and my eyes glaze into her blue pools

“Hey, what’s the matter?” She reads me like a book, always has. I have never in these past 10 years been able to keep anything from her.

“How was your day?” I ignore her question and she frowns slightly but let it go and answer me; “Well, I have a case about a man that tried to kill his wife, he’s now seeking full custody of their children. It’s bad and emotional and I’m so exhausted”

I frown and pull her closer to me, “I’m sorry to hear that”

“How was your day?”

“My day was…horrible”

She frowns, “Baby talk to me, what happened?”

“Before I tell you, please know that I love you so much and I wish I could magically make this disappear but I can’t. I love you”

“What’s wrong?”

“Just…please…tell me you love me too”

“Of course I love you, I love you so much”

“Some woman…she uh…she’s accusing me of uh, she’s accusing m-making her pregnant”

Hannah pulls away as though I burned her, my eyes flood with tears and I mutter out a weak ‘no’

“You cheated on me?” She growled and I shrunk back as my lips quiver, she can’t leave me, she can’t leave me.

“Answer me Matt!” She yells and I flinch and stammer out a ‘no’
“I promise you I didn’t cheat on you, I promise you. She’s lying”

“Oh my God, I can’t believe you. I can’t believe you did this”

“I didn’t do it” My voice cracks, “I didn’t cheat on you. I was drunk, I know that, and I did flirt with her but I never cheated on you”

Hannah frowns, “I want all the details, right now Matthew. You’re gonna tell me everything”