Till The End Of The Line

Chapter 14

"Frankie, you need to get some rest" Maria yelled at the girl who had been punching the bag hanging from the ceiling for the past hour. She'd been down in the gym since she arrived just four days ago. Maria wasn't sure if she was eating or sleeping, worry written all over her face. "You're no help to yourself or others if you're all worn out"

"You've been at this for days, Dugan. Take a breather" Fury chimed in, leaning against the wall. "Why don't you take some time and try to figure out what else you can do"

"I have" she told them, punching the bag one more time sending it flying across the room. Fury chuckled.

"I haven't seen that since I first went to Steve with the Avengers Initiative"

"So as you know I can read and put messages in people's minds. I can also make them do things"
she thought about Maria slapping Fury's arm, and watched both their surprised faces when she did so "It just came to me yesterday. I did take a little nap and everything came flooding to me I heard them standing around me talking about what they wanted me to do"

"They were creating a serum for specific enhancements?" Fury questions; giving Maria a look. "That's pretty advanced. We can't even do that yet"

"We can, you just don’t have the right people working on it" she walked over to the two, taking their hands and bringing them to the small table in the corner of the room. Sitting them both down while still holding their hands, she put her memories into their minds.

Frankie's eyes wondered around the lab. Next to her was the Doctor, holding his clip board firmly. He was speaking German to the man in the suit next to him. She'd started picking up the language, understanding a very little bit.

"What can she do?" he asked. The Doctor looked down at her, watching her closely.

"We've only injected the super solider serum so far. Enhancements come next. We are working around mind stuff; manipulation, control, distortion. After the process is complete, she will be able to control the minds of the targets. Making them do as she pleases, with just a few simple words"
Both men laughed, walking a few paces away from her and out of her hearing range. An agent walked by her, mumbling other things that were on the list of possible powers to another man.


"So your powers revolve around the mind?" Maria asked, shaking Frankie from her head.

"So far, that’s all I've been able to do. I've been trying some of the ones that other guy was talking about but no luck yet"

"That’s a pretty cool thing you can do though" Fury butted in. Frankie couldn't help but laugh a little bit.

Frankie listened to the two people she had left and rested for the rest of the day. She played around with the old cell phone in her hand, constantly typing Bucky's number and clearing it again. There wasn't going to be anyone on the other end of the call. Why should she waste her minutes and battery on someone who couldn’t call her to inform her anyway?

She jumped when her phone started buzzing and she saw Sam's name pop up. Answering it quickly, she heard him complaining.

"What's wrong Sam?"

[i["He is one cranky old man today"

She laughed. She missed the two of them. She had a feeling as too why he was cranky. It was around the time of his mother's passing. Sam huffed on the other side when she told him to give Steve the phone.

"Steve, don't take it out on Sam. He doesn’t know. What's in your head?"

"I know he doesn’t know" he apologized to Sam "just miss her that’s all. Miss everything from back then"

The all-mighty Captain America, though some people forget, was still a human being. He had feelings and memories and felt grief and lose. He never really shows this side of him, only to Frankie. They talked for a few minutes, allowing him to clear his head. He told her where they were heading next.

"Shuri is still working on getting the solider out of him. He's still under. She said she should have him done soon. She's going to work with him while he's awake as well"

"Next time you're there, just give her the picture and stuff for him please" she was short, still annoyed and upset that he didn’t call her himself to tell her everything. "Be careful Steve, please"

"I will Dum Dum. We both will" he promised.

Shuri was frantic running around her lab. The last few days she'd been a bit preoccupied with what was happening in her own family to focus on anything else. Now that things were going back to normal and her brother was now crowned the king once again, she could focus on her task at hand.
She sat in her chair staring at the man on the table. She'd taken him out of the cyro tube and began to defrost him essentially. She looked over all his features. His chin was covered in stubble; his long dark hair fell lightly around his face. She checked over his arm, making sure everything was settling okay and his body wasn't irritated or rejecting the new technology. She was interrupted by someone walking in and placing a package on her desk.

"Captain Rogers said this was for him when he awoke" the tall man informed her, leaving her alone with the stranger again.

"You are loved by many people" Shuri informed him as he woke up. He brushed his hair back with his hands, rubbing his eyes next.

"How long was I under this time?" he asked.

"Only a few days" she smiled at his surprised look.

He had underestimated the young girl.

Maria found Frankie in the gym. Shaking her head, she sat and watched her. Her strength was definitely more than Steve's. But she was still new to the serum. She'd been with Fury and Maria for a few months now. All she did was practice her powers and work out. She was a full time agent now, even if the agency no longer existed.

"Steve called for you" Maria told her once Frankie had taken notice she wasn't alone. "Said he might need your help soon"

"Did you tell him I'm not an Avenger?" Frankie snapped. Maria made a face causing Frankie to apologize immediately for snapping. "What's going on?"

"They can't find Wanda or Vision. Steve is getting a bit worried"

"The two love birds aren't allowed a night out without being spied on?" Frankie rolled her eyes.

"The three of them will be picking you up in a few hours" Maria told her, walking out of the gym. Frankie was confused as to why there were now three.

Bucky lay in his little cottage, arm folded under his head while he stared at the ceiling. He'd been working with Shuri every day since he was woken up. The solider was no longer in his head. Sargent Barnes was officially back. The only thing pushing him forward with his healing was knowing he'd be able to be with Frankie again without hurting her.

Upon waking up from his deep freeze, he had a package waiting for him. A letter from Steve told him that he'd informed Frankie and how she took it. He felt bad, knowing it made her upset that he didn’t tell her himself. He told him where she was and where he'd be, giving him both their numbers. He stared at her number almost every day, nervous to try and call her. In the package was also the picture of him and Frankie from the cabin. It was new; she'd printed it out for him. His was worn and torn apart. He wasn't sure what to say to her when he saw her again.

"Nat!" Frankie cheered out, seeing Natasha on the jet with Sam and Steve. She now understood why Maria said the three of them.

It didn't take long for Frankie to track Vision and Wanda. Tapping into her mind, she was able to see where Wanda was. Taking a look around, recognizing some of the structures around, she knew they were in Edenborough. Just a few miles from the city, Visions beacon turned back on. He'd switched over to his natural state. Frankie stared at Steve, knowing something was wrong.

Two people or things or whatever they were, were attacking Vision and Wanda. Steve, Nat and Sam interrupted it all and helped the two. After a fight, they brought the two injured avengers onto the jet where Frankie was waiting with supplies.

"It is very nice to see you again Frankie" Vision smiled.

"Who the hell were those people?" Sam asked, sitting down and trying to catch his breath.

"I don’t know, but they were after the stone" Wanda told them.

Steve's phone started ringing; Tony's name popping up.

"Something's wrong" Steve just stared at them all.