You

One.

Joanna White peered over her sunglasses as her old neighborhood came into view. She had a lot of memories from this neighborhood. Some good, some not so good. She vowed to never return to this neighborhood,let alone city when she left, but a death in her family had finally brought her back to this place eight years later.

You're All I've Got Tonight by The Cars began playing on her radio as she turned onto her old street and memories of the past flooded her mind...

In the spring time of nineteen eighty two, Joanna White's parents moved to a quiet neighborhood in Blue Island, Illinois. She had just turned two years old and was overly excited about having a new bedroom to call her own. While her parents settled in and got jobs, Joanna would be next door with Mrs. Lovato and her two sons.

As the years passed by, Joanna became really close to Tony and Steve, although he was older, and Tony's cousin Matt. Pretty soon, Tony and her were inseparable. She found Tony interesting because of his love of music. She loved music too of course, but not the way he did.

By thirteen, he was already in a band. Joanna was by his side no matter what. Even if it meant sticking by his side during his time with that band and the rumors that had spread about him being racist. She knew better, he was just ecstatic to be in a band finally.


Joanna pulled into her old driveway and shut the car off. She left the radio on as she rested her head back against the headrest of the seat and closed her eyes. She silently prayed the guys were off on tour so she'd be able to do this funeral in peace and leave before being recognized.

Joanna and Tony were at a Halloween party. They couldn't find a date to the party so they decided to be each others dates. He introduced her to alcohol and weed that night, which she happily indulged in with him.

The pair found themselves alone in a room taking turns on a blunt.

"Thanks for being my date tonight Jojo," Tony murmured through a cloud of smoke.

Joanna nodded with a smile, "Of course."

"You're pretty cool for being a chick."

"Um thanks?" She raised an eyebrow.

"You believed in me when hardly anyone else did. I'm glad I'm lucky enough to have you in my life."

"Same here," she smiled, watching as he lifted a bottle of whiskey to his lips. She shook her head when he offered her the bottle, "I think I'm good on that for a while."

He nodded and stole another drink before placing it on the end table next to his leg. His clouded eyes found themselves roaming her body while she continued to smoke, unaware her best friend was checking her out.

"I wanna try something Jo," he said barely audible.

She went to ask him to repeat himself but instead was being pulled into his lap. His lips attached themselves to hers. She got so lost in the moment, she didn't even tell him this was her first...well everything.


Joanna didn't realize she was crying until she felt teardrops hitting her arm. She let out a frustrated sigh and wiped the tears away. She then checked the time on her radio noticing it was about time for her dad to be getting home.

Grabbing her pack of cigarettes and lighter, Joanna got out of the car and decided to wait for him in fresh air and warm sunlight. She hopped up onto the trunk of her car and leaned back against the windshield and began smoking. About five minutes into her cigarette, she heard squeaky brakes. Footsteps soon filled her ears next.

"Mr. White won't be home for a few more hours. Can I help you with something?"

Joanna sat up knowing for sure it was Tony. She let out a sigh of relief when she looked towards the voice, "Hey Matt."

"Holy shit Jojo?!"

She grinned, "Yeah."

He pulled her into a tight hug, "Look at you all grown up! And with black and pink hair? Nice."

She laughed into his shoulder, "It was my only abnormal color left to use. I've officially dyed my hair every color known to mankind."

He chuckled and released her, "So what are you up to now?"

"Not much honestly," she shrugged.

"Interesting," he chuckled, "You moving back?"

"Nah, grandpa died. I'm here for the funeral."

"Damn I'm sorry to hear that, he was pretty cool. You're at least staying a couple days though?"

"Probably not."

"That sucks. My birthday is coming up, it'd be cool to have you around again."

Joanna sighed deeply, "Aw Matty boy, I'd love to but I can't."

"Can't or won't?"

"Matt."

"Jo," he mocked. "He's not even gonna recognize you."

"I doubt that."

"C'mon we haven't seen you in what, ten years?"

"Ah, but we've been in contact for at least five of those years, "she countered.

"True but not face to face. C'mon Joanna, we've missed you so much. Please?"

"When did you become so naggy?"

He chuckled and grinned.

"Ugh fine, I'll stay until your birthday, but after that I'm gone."

He pulled her into a tight hug, "Thank you."

"He catches on, I'm gone brother," she mumbled into his shoulder.

"He'll be too far gone to even realize there's another girl around for a few days."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"We'll talk about it after the funeral. He's-"

"Tony's shit faced again Matt!"

Joanna looked over Matt's shoulder and saw Nick and Jeremiah holding up a barely conscious Tony. She shook her head and focused back on Matt, "Drugs?"

Matt sighed deeply, "Yeah and alcohol of course."

"He's pathetic."

"That's why I say he won't recognize you. Look, let me know when the funeral is, I'd like to go with you to pay my respects. Jere and Nick probably will too. I've gotta get him to bed so he can sober up a bit and continue recording."

Joanna nodded. Once Matt turned to head towards the guys, she waved at both Nick and Jeremiah. With that she grabbed her stuff and decided to grab something to eat while she waited for her dad to get home.