Newcastle

Chapter One

Spring had just settled all over the state of Minnesota. All of the snow from the harsh previous winter months had finally melted and left the ground covered in puddles. The rabbits and birds had finally come back from their winter hiding place. The world had suddenly began to feel so much bigger, and I was leaving it. Not the entire world, just the only one I knew. I was leaving the United States all together, not particularly to my own wishes, but to my family’s. My Aunt Florence had fallen ill and I was the one chosen to be sent abroad to take care of her. It came as no surprise to me that I was the first and only choice of all my family members to send across the Atlantic. It was no secret that I was trapped. Trapped in a relationship with a man who knew no other way to show love than through pain.

Everyone in my family knew of Jason’s plan to propose within the next couple of months. In the beginning of our relationship, my parents had done their best to justify his abuse due to the massive business empire the Bell family had built, falling under the spell that living such a plush and lavish lifestyle would help dull some of the pain. I suppose you can only come home with a black eye or a bloody lip so many times before enough is enough. My parents weren’t the only ones to blame. I too, had tried to justify the pain if it meant living my life on a silver platter. It took me two years to learn that money really can’t buy happiness. It would be an understatement to say that Jason was less than pleased to find out that I was leaving, especially with no promise of when I was coming back. Never, I had hoped.

I had already landed in Ireland. After a short period of time, my taxi arrived at the airport and I was being carted off to Newcastle, the small seaside resort town where my aunt lives. I sat down in the backseat of the cab and propped my head up on my hand. I had been in desperate need a break. I needed a breath of fresh air such as this. Besides, my Aunt Florence was getting old and she was too nice of a woman to be in such a big house all by herself. I tried to tell myself that this is what was best for me right now. I tried to tell myself that if I just managed to stay here long enough, when I inevitably had to return home, that Jason would have just disappeared. Maybe enough wishful thinking will make my dreams come true.

The ride to Newcastle wasn’t terrible, perhaps thirty minutes from the airport with a speeding cab driver. The ride was mostly silent except for a few grunts from the driver when he hit a pothole. When we had reached town, I was in awe. Never in a million years had I expected it to be so beautiful. The slow rolling waves of the Irish Sea were hypnotic. The town itself was nothing special, but charming nonetheless. However, the ride through town only lasted about five minutes before we had come to a winding gravel road leading up a hill. I had thought the cliffs and rolling hills of the outskirts of Newcastle were enchanting, until I saw Byrne Manor.

I had gotten out of the cab quickly, the driver being so nice as to bring my bags up to the door for me before zooming off back down the hill. I must have stood at the door for two minutes before I had finally gathered the courage to ring the doorbell. I only had to wait thirty seconds or so before the massive wooden door swung open and my Aunt Florence’s smiling face was greeting me.

“Oh, finally,” she gushes. “It’s my darling Audrey.”

Aunt Florence had rushed me into the house, saying something about how she would prefer me not being outside her house at night due to some recent animal attacks in the area. Other than practically dragging me and my suitcase into the house (and being very strong for a sick old woman) she was very happy to see me.

“Oh, my dear,” she sighs contently before throwing her arms around me. “It’s been so long, much too long.”

“I agree, Auntie Flo,” I say, hugging her back. “Almost six years now.”

“Six years?” She exclaims, almost in exasperation. “So you must be eighteen now!”

I nod and smile.

She raises the back of her hand to her forehead in mock lightheadedness. “My God, how you’ve grown. Especially into such a fetching young woman.”

My cheeks begin to burn in a blush and I smile. I thought of myself as many different things, but never once as ‘fetching’. I thought that my skin was much too pale, and I completely loathed the faint speckling of freckles across the high points of my cheeks. My hair was long, straight, and naturally black as night. I thought that my eyes were much too big, and my irises much too green. I was only five feet and three inches tall and so skinny my body look emaciated and frail despite being perfectly healthy, and the paleness and dullness of my skin certainly wasn’t doing me any favors. I knew that I looked like the undead, but I was flattered that Aunt Florence thought otherwise.

“Anyhow, darling, you must be exhausted from the long trip you had. I can only imagine how much you’d like to be in bed right now.” she says. “Just go up the master stairwell and go down the hall to the right. Your bedroom is at the very end.”

I nod in thanks and lean down to pick up my suitcase and carry-on, but Aunt Florence makes a dismissive noise and waves my hand away. I look up in confusion.

“What are you doing, darling?” she asks. “You really think I’d have you carry your own bags up the stairs?”

“Well, Auntie, I’m not really comfortable with you-” I’m interrupted by her laughter.

“Not me, you silly little thing,” she laughs, briefly reaching behind me and pulling on a long golden rope. “My hired help will be happy to carry those up for you, dear.”

It seemed like milliseconds after she pulled the rope when a young man entered the room. My heart felt like it got caught in my throat. He was tall, somewhat muscular, and somehow had skin paler than my own. Despite having an even lighter skin tone than myself, his skin was radiant and healthy. It was practically glowing. He had medium-length light auburn hair, with rich caramel highlights. His eyes were gleaming under the light and colored hazel, so deep and rich they were almost like amber. His gaze was intense, but his eyes were soft and gentle.

“Mrs, Byrne, how can I be of assistance?” he asks in a voice so gentle and smooth. Even though he’s talking to my Aunt, his eyes don’t leave mine, not even for a moment. I was drowning in them.

“I’d like you to meet my niece, Audrey. She’ll be staying with us until further notice. Audrey, this is-”

“Victor,” he says softly, bright ethereal hazel eyes staring me down.

My palms grew sweaty. “N-Nice to meet you,” I fumble over my words like a child who had just learned to speak.

“The pleasure is mine, Miss Byrne.”

“You can, uh - you can call me Audrey.”

“Audrey.” he repeats. The way he said my name sounded like poetry. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to speak again without swooning, so luckily for me my Aunt spoke up before I had to.

‘I’m glad you two have been acquainted,” she says cheerfully. “Now Victor, would you be a darling and show Audrey to her room? She’s incredibly jet-lagged.”

“Of course, Mrs. Byrne,” Victor replies, taking a few steps toward me. “May I?” he asks, motioning to my bags on the floor.

“Y-Yes,” I answer shakily.

Victor picks up the bags that I could barely carry like they were filled with helium. “Please follow me this way, Audrey.”

I say goodnight to my Aunt before following Victor up the grand staircase, almost too engrossed in the sheer beauty of my Aunt’s home to hear him speak to me.

“If I may ask, how long will you be staying in Newcastle?” he inquires. We reach the top of the stairs and are met with a long hallway stretching both to the right and left of us. The upper floor of the house is nicer than any five-star hotel I’ve ever been to. The carpet is a rich, luscious red. The paintings hung on the walls look more expensive than any student loan.

“I’m not sure,” I respond honestly. I had a feeling deep down in my gut that I would never want to return back to the United States. After arriving in Ireland, it was the first time I had felt truly safe in years. I didn’t want the engulfing feeling of sanctuary to leave me anytime soon. “I’m assuming until my aunt gets better.”

He hums in response. “Yes, she hasn’t felt her best in quite a while.”

“Do you know what’s wrong with her?”

He shakes his head. “No ma’am, no one does.” He stops at the end of the hallway. “You’ll be staying in this room here, miss.” He sets my bags down on the floor and opens the door, motioning for me to enter. “I hope you’ll find the room to your liking.”

I look at him and walk into my new bedroom. It was hard to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor. The bed was king sized, with four posters made of mahogany and rich plum colored bedding. I had a matching mahogany vanity adorned with a large mirror, and multiple bottles of expensive perfume resting on it. The curtains were long and very obviously expensive, much like everything else in this house.

“It’s beautiful,” I breathe out softly. I turn to Victor. “It’s perfect,” I tell him. “It really is.”

“I’m glad that you like it,” he answers smoothly. “I’ll be sure to tell Mrs. Byrne. Now, would you like me to fetch anything for you before you rest for the night?”

I shake my head. “No, thank you.”

“Alright, Miss -” he pauses for a moment to correct himself. “Alright, Audrey. I hope you sleep well.” He gives me a charming smile before turning around and heading back down the hallway.

I manage to wait a few moments before my curiosity gets the better of me. I poke my head out of the doorway to get one last glance at him, but he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
hello, thank you for reading the first chapter of my first original character story. i haven't wrote for a couple years now and i think i'm still pretty rusty. this is the first time i've published one of my works for a couple of years now, and the word 'nervous' is quite the understatement. but thank you for checking this out regardless. it isn't much now but i have big plans for my characters and this story. i plan to update this story once a week, so the next chapter will be published on 11/20/18, or maybe even earlier if i can manage to pull another chapter together. once again, thank you so much for reading, and i hope you're as excited for this story as i am.

xx