The Monster at My Side

Chapter Two

Kyo’s POV

“Tooru! You’re home early!” Momo greets me. I merely grunt in response, kicking off my shoes as I duck into the room. She busies herself in the kitchenette, tying an apron around her waist.
“I'm making your favorite: steamed dumplings!” She sings as I toss my bag onto the couch I've been sleeping on.
“Do we actually have pork today?” I question, recalling the less than satisfactory steamed cabbage dumplings we had last time. My stomach groans at the thought of food. I couldn't recall the last meal I had.
“I got it from Kisaki. His boss gave him some leftovers that they couldn't sell. They're still okay for another day or so.” She grins, her cracked lip nearly splitting again in the process.
“Do you need any help?” I question, already knowing the answer. No. I move to the sink, rolling up my sleeves before running warm water over my hands.
“Hmm...nope! I made the dough earlier. I'm just going to stuff them now. I'll put some extra pork in a few for you.” She adds with a wink, rolling shredded cabbage and pork into balls. I move to her side, tugging the bowl of ingredients closer to me.
“Put some extra in for yourself.” I murmur, scooping up mounds of chilled vegetables.
“There won't be enough for dad then.” She frowns, eyes downcast.
“Good.” I scoff, “Do we have any spoiled meat you could give the bastard?” That earns me a heated glare.
“I know you and he got off to a rocky start this morning, but you could try to keep your thoughts to yourself. We're really trying to start fresh this time! Just give him a chance!” She scolds.
“Putting daisies on roadkill isn't going to make it any less rotten.” I grumble.
“That's disgusting!” Momo grimaces, stuffing thin sheets of dough. I merely shrug, chuckling to myself. I reach across her, taking a small handful of dough to start stuffing.
“Your arms are looking better.” Momo comments, pointing out my exposed forearms. I feel the blood rush to my face and fight the urge to tug my sleeves down to my wrists. “I'm glad to see you don't have any new cuts.” She adds.
“Yeah...” I murmur, unconsciously hiding my face in layers of wispy, unruly hair. “Your face isn't looking great.” I huff, noting her swollen lip and eyebrow.
“How rude!” She tuts, playfully shoving my side. It's only now that I get a good look at her face, noting a scrap of white hidden beneath her thick bangs. Frowning, I whisk the layer of hair to the side to find a thick layer of gauze bandaging.
“This is new.” I narrow my eyes as she quickly averts her gaze.
“I bumped it off one of the cabinets this morning.” She shrugs, attempting to hide her lies. “I should know better than to leave them open!” She laughs. I furrow my brows, icy glare fixed to her wavering eyes. Brushing my fingertips over the gauze, I note the way her body jolts. The wound was obviously fresh, and still sore.
“When did he do it? While I was at school? I knew I shouldn't have gone!” I hiss, letting my fingers fall. I could feel the blood boiling beneath my skin. “Did you even go to work today?” She shrugs away, shoulders falling as she turns back toward the bowl of filling.
“It wasn't him!” She assures. “I really just hit it off a cabinet.” My face was hot with rage as I tugged the bowl from her grasp, nearly throwing it to the floor.
“Why do you cover for him?!” I resist the urge to raise my voice. “I know it was him. It's always him!” My limbs shook, mind reeling out of control.
“Tooru...I'm okay.” She turns her gaze to mine, warm touch resting on my forearm.
“No you aren't...Where is he?” I finally growl, ripping myself away from her to begin my hunt.
“It wasn't him!” There is panic in her voice as my feet lead me to the only bedroom door, kicking it open. His body is sprawled over his bed, empty bottles of booze litter the floor.
The mere sight of him sends me into a crazy frenzy. My ears fill with white noise as I move across his room, kicking debris aside. All I see is red as I pull him toward me by the collar, his drunken gaze unable to meet mine. His lips turn up in the corners, a slur of words spewing from them. My vision tunnels as my fist connects with his ugly face.
“Tooru, stop!” Momo's weak voice cries as her body rushes between us.
“Why do you always protect him?!” I his, throwing him back into his bed.
“Because, he's our dad! He's the only family we have!” She quickly takes my hands in hers, noting my now split, bloody knuckles.
“He's YOUR dad!” I hiss, pulling away from her. “You're my family...not him.” Her somber gaze meets mine as I stumble out of the room, grabbing my bag from the couch. She follows closely behind me as I move past the kitchenette and into the stairway landing. I didn't care that I hadn't had a bite to eat since yesterday...I couldn't stay under the same roof as him for one more second. She wouldn't like what I'd do to him. I shove my feet into my worn shoes just as her delicate touch warms my shoulder. I fight the urge to shrug away.
“I'll go to Kisaki's tonight. Would that make you feel better?” Her soft voice offers. Letting my shoulders fall, I nod before throwing my bag against my back. Anything would be better than her staying here.
“I'll see you there.” I finally murmur.
“I love you Tooru.” She smiles.
“I love you too Momo.” I utter before disappearing down the steep, narrow staircase.
xoxox
“Kyo! I wasn't expecting to see you today!” Kisaki comments after opening the door for me. “Another fight with the old man?” He questions with a crooked grin.
“Something like that.” I shrug, “Do you mind if I crash here for a few days? It's pretty cramped there.”
“I don't know that there's much more room here, but you're welcome any time.”
“Thanks.” I sigh, lips turning into a smile. The gesture feels foreign to me. “Oh, Momo is planning to stop over later.” I quickly add, remembering her plans.
“Nice.” He nods weaving throughout the cramped hall and into the basement.
Black wires crisscross along the cement floor of the musty, dimly lit room. Old, mismatched carpets are thrown here and there to help keep our feet warm. A pair of hand-me-down brown, floral printed couches stretch along one side of the room. On top of an antique looking end stand (which I had assumed came from a thrift store) sat a very full ash tray. A single cigarette balanced atop the mound, smoke still billowing from it. I didn't know how else to describe the space, apart from the feeling of “home.”
“Check out this new bass line I've been working on.” Kisaki assumed his musician role, grabbing his bass and strumming along. It was catchy. Most of his stuff was.
“Is anyone else coming over today?” I questioned.
“Kaoru and Shinya might stop over. Die has a date.” He shrugs, not looking away from the instrument. I nodded, grabbing Die's acoustic and strumming along with Kisaki. I wasn't necessarily good at guitar or drums, but I could get by. It was easier for me to come up with lyrics if I had a tune to work with.
Two days had passed. I'd been working on music with the guys and helping out in the shop “after school.” The guys and I had come up with some great, new songs since I've been skipping class. I wasn't about to go back now.
“You haven't been to school in a while, have you?” Momo questioned as I helped her clean up. It was past 10:00 PM. I pretended not to hear her as I swept burnt crumbs out of the large oven.
“They've been calling here.” She warned.
“As if anyone cares.” I grumble.
“I care.” Momo frowns.
“I don't. As soon as I'm 18, I'm getting the fuck out of there, and out of here.” I growl.
“Where will you go?” She questions, obviously concerned.
“On tour.” I shrug, as if it were obvious.
“That's still months away, Tooru. You can't skip that much school.”
“I know...” I grumble.
“If he gets the phone call before I do...he's gonna be pissed...” She warns.
And if he gets pissed, he'll take it out on her. Because she doesn't stand a chance against him.
“I know...” I repeat.
“As long as you know.” She has a look of disappointment on her face.
“I'll go back tomorrow.” I finally groan.
“Give it a chance.” She smiles, “You might make some friends...or even meet somebody.” She adds with a wink.
Meet somebody...
'W-Were you waiting?' She stuttered, tucking a lock of auburn hair behind her ear.
'I didn’t want you getting stuck out here…what with the sticky doors and all.' I teased, enjoying the way her milky skin would turn pink from embarrassment. I held the door open for her as she rushed to my side.
'T-thank you.' Her pink lips twisted into a smile as her emerald gaze locked with my own.
Why did that pop into my head? Shaking the thought away, I quickly roll my eyes. Right now, my only concern is taking La:Sadie's on tour.

Saya’s POV

“So how did your date with Shouji go? That was like two days ago, right?” Ayumi questioned as she peeled apart her melon bread. We were outside eating lunch. It was a beautiful day.
“It was nice.” I shrugged. “We didn’t stay for long since I had to catch the train.” Honestly, it was boring. I was preoccupied the entire time, and he just talked about kendo.
“We need details!” Emi pressed.
“There's really nothing to talk about.” I shrugged, taking a bite from my bento.
“So you didn't go any further?” Ayumi prodded. I blushed, recalling the deep kiss we'd shared.
“Something totally happened!” Emi squeals. “It's written all over her face!”
“I'm honestly surprised.” Ayumi smirks. “And here I thought you'd live the rest of your life like some untouched virgin saint.” She teases.
“Shut up.” I mutter, glancing away as I stuff more food into my mouth. I didn't dare tell them that the only reason I had enjoyed the kiss, was because I had been thinking of Tooru-kun. What was wrong with me?! I had a boyfriend! I wasn't boy crazy like this!
“Saya-chan!” Shouji’s familiar voice calls out.
“Speak of the devil.” Ayumi smirks, nudging Emi. Emi’s lips twist into a mischievous grin as Shouji approached us.
“Shouji.” I smile politely, “How are you today?”
“I’m wonderful! Today’s kendo match went terrifically, or perhaps you already heard?” He smirks, eyeing me.
“You placed in regionals, right?” I smiled. “Congratulations!”
“Third!” He boasts. “Two places above last year’s!”
“Congrats!” Both the girls chime in together, “That’s fantastic! We knew you could do it!”
“Thank you!” He grins. He does have an adorable smile. Emi and Ayumi always swoon about it.
“Well, I can see that you're finishing up lunch. I wouldn't want to impose...” His tone changes, it's suddenly more serious and much quieter. “Saya, I couldn't help thinking of the other night... Do you have time to meet with me later? There's something I'd like to ask you.” He averts his gaze as he scratches his head nervously.
“Oh…well I’m busy after class…maybe tomorrow at lunch?” I offer, cheeks red.
“W-Will you meet me on the rooftop then?” He blurts out.
“Okay.” I nod, the smile on his face practically touching his eyes.
“Terrific! I’ll see you then Saya-chan! Farewell Emi-kun and Ayumi-kun!”
“Bye Shouji-kun!” They exclaim, beady eyes immediately on me the second he is out of earshot.
“I couldn't stop thinking of you Saya...” Emi starts, mimicking Shouji's voice as she clutches her heart. She bats her eyes at Ayumi. “I want to share everything with you!”
“Oh Shouji!” Now it's Ayumi mocking me as she throws herself into Emi's arms. “Take me now! Make me yours!” She squeals, struggling to contain her laughter.
“Would you two stop it!!!!” I hiss. “It's nothing like that!” I cross my arms over my chest, tempted to walk away from the scene they were making.
“He's totally going to ask you to take the next step!” They squeal.
“No way.” I roll my eyes. “Why would he need to talk to me about that on the rooftop?!”
“For the romance factor...obviously.” Emi rolls her eyes.
“Everyone hooks up on the roof.” Ayumi adds.
“No one does that!” I squeak.
“You're about to.” She winks.
“I am not!!!!” I practically yell, standing up and clutching my bento to my chest. “I'm going back to class!” I exclaim, bolting for the classroom, leaving them behind me.
What if it was true? Was Shouji really going to ask me to do that with him? I wasn't ready for that! I could hardly even stomach kissing him! The only reason I was able to go further with my kiss was because I was thinking about...
Sliding open the classroom door, I was alarmed to see him sitting there. That seat had been empty the past two days. Even this morning it was empty. Tooru-kun. He sat at his desk, already scribbling on a piece of paper.
I had fantasized about kissing Tooru.
My face turned beet red.
“What’s that thug doing back?” Ayumi’s hushed tone sounds out behind me.
“I thought he got kicked out…” Emi joins in. “After the way he treated Saeko, plus he didn’t even finish his first day…”
But all I could think of was that slight smirk and fiery gaze as he stood on the rooftop, holding the door open for me. My cheeks felt ablaze.
“Ladies, come in.” Saeko drones, chattering still filled the room. She sat back in her desk, eyes deep in the book she held in her hands. “I’m almost done with this chapter…we’ll pick up then.” She drawls.
My feet carry me to his side where I can’t keep my eyes away from Tooru’s drawing. His fingers moved so nimbly, sketching every precise detail. It was a girl, but her face was disfigured almost as if she were melting. Her eyes were empty, hair flat and listless.
Suddenly, I noticed that his hand had stopped moving and I felt his gaze on me. My heart thrummed nervously.
“Why don’t you draw happy things?” I blurt out, instantly regretting my words. What the hell is wrong with me?!!!! He raises a brow, lips twisting oddly-as if he was fighting the urge to smile. Just then, I noticed how silent the room had become, and how all eyes were on me.
“Saya-kun, we’re ready to start. Won’t you please take a seat?” Saeko questioned.
“H-hai!” I squealed, quickly plopping down into my chair. My heart threatened to crawl out of my mouth. I could hardly focus the remainder of class.
As the final bell chimed, I began gathering my belongings. Just as I stood to leave, Tooru-kun passed my desk, placing a sheet of paper on it. My gaze followed him, but he disappeared as quickly as he’d appeared. Curious, I flipped the page over. On it, were two swallows dancing together in the setting sky.
My heart fluttered to life, lips turning into a smile.