New Beginnings

New Beginnings

I stood in front of the vast window in my dressing gown, coffee in hand, looking out over the marque that had been placed in the back of the grounds the day before, it was a massive estate.
This was real. The dream that I had in the night had felt real but this was now my reality.
People were mulling around with chairs, some with flowers, food, some just making final additions.
I could see mine and his parents over seeing everything, how had it come to this?
“Nervous?” A voice came from behind me, jumping me from my wonders.
“Yes,” I said turning to be greeted by the face of my best friend.
“A little?”
“Nope, completely consumed.”
“Don’t worry it will be fine, your parents are making any last adjustments and he is fine on the other side of the house. Relax.”
I took a deep breath “relaxing” I sighed as I sipped on my now ‘just about warm coffee.’
“Need a refill,” I said leaving the room and heading down to the dining room
'Cream or milk?’ I pondered standing by the table.
'Cream,’ I gave myself a wicked smile. Too late to worry about fitting into the dress now.
“You do know its bad luck to see each other?”
“I was never one for tradition,” I smiled turning to face him.
I had to suppress a giggle “love the dressing gown, its um…. very you.”
“Oh, be quiet,” he grinned walking over to me. “Is the coffee any good darling?”
“It’s wonderful, like a warm cuddle in a mug.”
“Bet it’s not as warm as this,” he said pulling me into his arms and cuddling me to him.
I smiled at his warmth, placing little kisses onto the bare chest I could get to.
“It’s funny” I said resting my head so I could hear his heartbeat.
“What is darling?”
“How we got here.”
“Are you getting cold feet?”
“No. God no, I want to be with you forever, its only….”
He lifted my head “you’re wondering if we are rushing things?”
“A little, yes”
“Elizabeth, do you truly and I mean truly love me? “
I looked into his eyes, those eyes that had magic in them, those eyes that had put me under a spell only a year before. 'Did I really love him or was it all the power of the spell?’
"I love you,” I whispered, “with every fiber of my being.”
“Good, then worry not about us rushing.”
He kissed me, so deeply, so passionately.
“Um, sorry,” a sweet male voice came from the doorway.
“It’s okay, I’m heading back upstairs,” I said leaving him and his best man to it.
“See you at the altar.”
“Yep, I’ll be the one in white.”
I could hear them both laugh as the door shut behind me.
'White, me?’
The tradition thing wasn’t my idea but mothers, I wanted a colored dress not boring, slightly insulting white, it was insulting to the purity of the color.
“What are you grinning at?” Bill asked as I re-entered the bedroom.
“Nothing.”
“You saw each other, didn’t you”?
"Yes, and now all doubt has disappeared. I want to be with him, forever.”
“Never been one for tradition have you.”
“And never will be, best start getting ready.”
I took the last sip of my coffee and went into the bathroom.
Running the shower on warm, I stepped inside. The water felt so good, washing away any lasting doubts as it cascaded down my back.
'Well chic this is it,’ I told myself as I looked in the mirror, cleansing wipes and toners in hand.
I remembered the first time I saw him, a charity event, well a mascaraed ball to be more exact.
My father’s company was putting on the show for their main charities, and being the boss’s daughter, I had a free one-way ticket inside.
My lilac ball gown seemed to be a highlight as all the attention grew around me. It was like having a celebrity status.
I remember standing next to father greeting all the guests, one by one.
Their faces hidden by the beautiful and most exquisite masks, only eyes and mouths could be seen.
We had just greeted the Lord Mayor and his wife when I saw him, blue pools of light, like a light shining through water.
I felt myself staring at him, not really paying attention to who I was saying 'hello’ to.
“Elizabeth pay attention,” my father snapped as a very important company rep came up the small set of steps and kissed the back of my hand.
“Good evening Elizabeth.”
“Good evening sir,” I nodded my head lightly.
I could still see him hovering, our eyes meeting for the briefest second, I could have sworn he smiled at me.
I wanted to meet him, really wanted too, but he was still so far away.
More handshakes, more hand kisses, I was starting to get bored.
“So glad you could make it; I know you’ve been awfully busy.”
I looked up and there he was talking to my father like they were best friends.
“Thank you for the invitation sir, I’m honored to be here,” he smiled, sending butterflies fluttering around my tummy.
“May I introduce my daughter Elizabeth, Elizabeth this is Tom Hiddleston, he will be doing some charity work with us over the next few months.”
I nodded my head and felt my heart beat a billion beats per second as he kissed the back of my hand.
“Pleasure to meet you Elizabeth,” he smiled, his eyes sending sparks through my body.
“You too,” I managed to smile back.
I could feel his fingers gently caress my hand as his slipped out of mine.
'Wow,’ was all I could muster, that touch alone was out of this world.
“Best place for a single girl to find someone,” the Lord Mayor’s wife said to me and mother as we stood sipping chilled champagne. “Nobody knows what you look like, so it’s by personality and being yourself.”
“I’m not looking,” I grimaced I was getting fed up of people telling me I needed a man on my arm. I was always happy with my own company anyway.
I could see him talking to father and a few other men from the company.
'Wasn’t looking, but was it looking for me?’
Deciding I’d had enough of being talked about like I wasn’t there, I walked off in search of my table place in the other room.
“Looks like we’re sitting together” a familiar voice said beside me.
“Hello Bill.”
Bill was the main accountant of the company, but worse than that, father had been trying to set us up for years, but we liked just being good friends.
“You look amazing as always Elizabeth.”
“Thank you,” I smiled.
I could see him looking over in our direction, it was like he was stalking me, our eyes met again, a smile spread across his face and a twinkle in his eye.
“Shall we?” Bill offered me his arm, looking over his shoulder to where Tom was watching us. “To much of a pretty boy.”
Taking his arm with a smile, we walked straight past him, not even looking at him as I went.
Bill pulled my chair out and I sat down.
“Everybody, this is Tom, he will be doing some charity work with the company over the next few months.”
Everybody said hello and I just nodded, the butterflies seemed to have lost their flutter.
I got into conversation with Bill, catching up on football banter, Tennis and summer plans.
During the first course of fresh salmon fish cakes and lemon mayonnaise father stated how well the charities had done during the credit crunch, with Bill agreeing at times, making me smile.
The main course consisted of honey roast pork, a selection of greens and mashed or boiled potatoes, and the conversation went onto family matters and everybody’s summer plans. Bill and I had agreed to go to the coast for a few weeks, staying at my parent’s cottage on the seafront.
Dessert time and my favorite, a choice of death by chocolate sponge or luxury cheese cake. The conversation was now mainly focused on Tom.
“I have to say my young daughter loved you as Loki,” the Mayor told Tom as brandy was served.
“Thank you” Tom smiled.
I giggled as Bill showed me something on his iPhone, ignoring the conversation.
“Excuse me,” Bill said as his phone rang out and he stood to leave, “be right back.”
Tom looked at me as he got up and walked over to me taking Bill’s empty seat.
“May I have the first dance?”
I didn’t know what to say, I had always sat at the side, messing around with Bill and always let everybody else dance.
“I don’t know how to dance.”
“Then I will teach you,” he gave me such a warm smile I couldn’t refuse.
“You may lose a toe,” I joked.
“I will take the risk,” he took my hand and helped me to my feet.
I could feel every eye of every person at the table watch us leave.
“You do know we will be the gossip for days.”
“I’m getting used to that.”
“I’m sorry I wasn’t really listening, what is it that you do?” I asked as we entered the ball room.
“I’m an actor.”
“Hollywood or stage?”
“Movies, TV and stage.”
“Wow, that’s impressive.”
He grinned taking my hand into his and pulling my body close to his, “let me lead you.”
I nodded, feeling flustered at the closeness.
“Eyes on mine.”
Dam, if I have to stare into those eyes I’m going to get lost in them.
I did as he said. The sweet slow classical music of the orchestra started to play. In perfect time to the music he waltzed me around the huge dance floor.
“So, Elizabeth, what do you do?” He asked as we took a break.
“I work with father, establishing contacts, oh hell I’m basically his PA.”
He laughed “it’s a good job, don’t be ashamed of it.”
“Oh, I’m not, it’s just……. I work for my father as somewhat of a spy for mother,” I whispered.
“Oh,” he looked a little puzzled. “Why may I ask.”
“She doesn’t trust him,” I smiled. “She has nothing to worry about.”
“Does she know that?”
“Oh yes, I’ve told her enough, I have plans for myself though. It’s just I only have one way out of my current situation.”
“Go on.”
“Marriage. If I get married I can leave the company. It’s all in the contract I signed.”
“You don’t sound to into that idea.”
“I’m not. I have nothing against marriage. I think it is very romantic and sweet to bind yourself to one person for the rest of your life, have eyes for that person and only that person. To love them forever. I just think it outlawed now.”
“You talk like you know,” he smiled.
“Nope, I have no idea, never been in love, but I’ve witnessed it. I’m not an easy person to love Tom, I tend to push away from it instead of embracing it. I guess I get scared, love scares me. I don’t feel like I deserve such a precious gift, I’m not worthy of it.”
He looked at me, like he was considering a purchase in a shop, an expensive purchase, “you are worthy of such a gift, you are a precious gift.”
'Wait was that some form of chat up line?’
“Hey, there you are,” Bill’s grin soon left when he saw who I was with “next dance is mine I think,” he said grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the floor, leaving Tom behind.
“That was rude” I scolded.
“I don’t like him.”
“Why ever not? He is sweet, charming and kind.”
“Because he’s into you.”
“He is?”
“Elizabeth, he never took his eyes off you, before and during the meal. I’m looking out for my friend.”
I looked over at Tom, he looked so dejected. I let go of Bill’s hand and walked over to Tom, taking his hand and leading him away. We found our way outside, into the gloriously decorated garden.
He pulled me into his arms “your friend won’t like this.”
“I don’t care. I know what I want, I knew the second……”
"You saw me.”
“Yes, how did you?”
“I felt the same.”
He rested his forehead against mine, his eyes closed, taking in my scent.
“You smell heavenly,” he commented opening his eyes again. “I need to know what you look like.”
“Is it important?” I asked feeling breathless at his touch. “I mean does it matter what I look like?”
“No, but….” He lifted my mask from my face “I need to know who I’m about to kiss.”
He moved his head in towards mine, brushing his lips over mine before pressing them gently but firmly against mine, his hands at my waist, drawing me closer to him.
I placed my hands on the back of his head, playing with his hair.
“Thank you,” he sighed.
“Can I see you now?”
He removed his mask slowly.
“Bill was right, you are a pretty boy.”