Beauty in the Dark

CHAPTER SIX-Bonds With The Moon And Death

Lark and Draven walked quickly to the Burgundy Cafe, holding hands tightly. The 'Aldon and Kirby?' thought ran through Lark's mind, in amusement. She knew that Kirby would make short work in charming him. She heard a 'damn you Al, can't keep it in your pants in one town' mutter from Draven, Lark biting her lip to stop herself from laughing. They reached the cafe within minutes, it was a deep building with a dark brown wooden roof on the edge of town, surrounded by large chestnut trees. There were no windows, as the cafe was a hotspot for Sanguinarians.

Draven pushed the heavy oak door and pulled Lark inside. The room was warm, with red and coffee striped walls, dark wooden tables and flooring, blood coloured leather chairs, black birdcage lanterns resting peacefully in the table centre with soft lighting. A large TV was hanging in the far corner, playing a vampire-friendly music channel. There were a few Sanguinarians sat in corners or on the handful of chocolate leather sofas dotting around the room, their heads buried in books and large coffee mugs, or too deep in their conversations to notice the three humans in their safe space. Though they wouldn't say a word to Lark and her friends anyway, they come here often after school. At the back wall was a large bar; full of cakes, blood and mugs of different sizes in shades of red and brown. Right in the corner of the bar, near the checkout sat on wooden bar chairs, were Kirby and Skylar, and standing at the till was Aldon. Skylar turned and saw Lark standing there, her eyes lighting up in excitement to see her but fear shadowed the light at the sight of Draven. She slowly slipped off the chair and walked towards the pair, Kirby and Aldon too wrapped up looking at each other lustfully to also say hello. "Hey Skylar, sorry I took so long getting here. I was getting to know Draven better. You OK?" Lark ran her fingers through her hair, acting the part of fearless and always-in-control leader of her little pack, despite feeling a little nervous and guilty inside. Skylar has always been so fearful of vampires and didn't like coming to the Burgundy Cafe, but went anyway just to be with her friends. Skylar had her arms crossed and was doing all she could not to give Draven a dirty look, her focus was on her beloved friend. "I'm fine. I...I mean...um...we, Kirby and I, um, weren't waiting long. W...w...why did I have to leave, school Lark?" she asked, showing her scared self but couldn't stop a small drop of disappointment slipping through. Lark was taken a little aback from Skylar's tone, but instead of dwelling on it she answers her, "Luvena was going to jump you after school, so I wanted you to be safe." "She was very worried about you, Lady Skylar" Draven said, wrapping his arm around Lark's small frame. As soon as he came into Skylar's sight, her eyes turned from joy to hate in a flash. "Thanks, but I don't need you to tell me that! And don't call me Lady, it's creepy!" she snapped, her sudden rage disappearing as soon as Lark worriedly said her name. Skylar looked down, hiding her tears muttering a brief sorry. "I forgive you, Miss Skylar. Come, I'll buy you both a drink" Draven said sincerely, pulling Lark towards the bar with Skylar linking her arm with hers.

They sat at the bar, the sexual talk between Kirby and Aldon breaking and they turned to face the three, with Aldon showing a huge toothy grin. He looked a lot like Draven, only with the same purple eyes as his mother and sister. Up close Lark could see his strong chin and muscular arms.  "Well, well, well. You've finally come to see me at work, dear brother" Aldon teased with a chuckled. Both Kirby and Skylar gasped and stared at the two vampires, eyes wide and mouths opened.  "Yes, brother of mine, I just had to see you doing something for once. Give the ladies and Sir Kirby whatever they want, I shall pay for everything" Draven smirked at Aldon. "Brother? You're brother's? Why didn't I see it? You're both gorgeous and have the same sexy smile. Oh Lark, how lucky are we? We, could become in-laws!" Kirby sung with joy. While this made Skylar shudder in horror at the thought, it made Lark and Draven blush very hard. "In-laws you say?  Well, although it's a very fast move my cutie strawberry, I'll accept your proposal" Aldon exclaimed laughing, grabbing Kirby's hand and showering it with light kisses. "Oh Aldon, my love. Let's hurry to the nearest Little White Chapel and then become one before we make, filthy, dirty, rough..." Kirby flirted, his sentence being cut off by a very shocked Skylar. "OK, OK, we get it. You wanna have sex together. Do you have to make a whole song and dance about your flirtations Kirby?" Skylar asked with a mixture of embarrassment, shyness and a hint of anger. Kirby looked at his friend dead in the eye, unsure on how to react or what to say. 'What's wrong with her today?' Lark thought to herself, concerned for her. "Chill out Skylar, we're teasing. You know I like to fuck first, date later" Kirby winked and blew a kiss. Aldon laughed and turned his attention to Lark. "So you are the Lady Lark I've heard so much about?" Aldon spoke excitedly, bowing to her. She nodded with a small smile, worried of his gift. 'All the things he could know about me' she wondered to herself, as she asked for her order.

Aldon wrote it down and took the rest of the orders. With a smile and a kiss to Kirby, he began to make the drinks, yelling to Draven, "and put your purse away bro, these are on the house." The group sat in a calming silence, their attention fully on the TV screen. A colourful, Gothic looking group with wild, crazy hair were on, rocking out and entrancing the group to nod their heads in unison. It's was Lark's second favourite band; Bats L'Adore, an all vampire rock group. The lead singer, a handsome man named Colton Black, was singing and performing with all his might, showing passion with every word he sung. While the rest enjoyed the music, Draven shook his head and looked at his brother, who had stopped what he was doing.

Bats L'Adore-My Little Fawn
Oh, you're lying on a bed, of rose thorns
Helpless, and begging, and so beautifully pitying
Let me, my dear, take that pain away
With one, sinful kiss, with blood
/
I'll turn you, into one of me
I'll own the beats, of your frozen heart
You'll be my, little fawn
Blood will, allow you to live, with me
Forevermore
My little fawn

Aldon switch the channel to the news, a sea of 'thank God', 'my ears are safe' and 'what?' quietly filled the room. The group stared at him, he quickly finished the coffees and brought them to the group. "Was that really necessary?" Draven asked sarcastically, tapping his thumb against his cheek. His brother chuckled and gave him a shrug, "probably not but I couldn't help myself. I guess I must be still a little bitter." Lark raised an eyebrow and smirked, "bitter about what?" Aldon's cheeks turned pink and a girlish giggle escaped his lips. "Oh you're too cute, I can't take it" Kirby squealed, his smile touching the corner of his eyes.

The group spent an hour at the cafe, drinking coffee and chatting away about teenage nonsense. As soon as Kirby got Aldon's number, they left the cafe and walked through the woods to get to Kirby and Skylar's neighborhood. While Kirby, Lark and Draven walked together merrily and laughing, Skylar kicked the ground as she followed behind them slowly and in silence. Draven noticed this and softly took Lark's elbow, "hey, my Lady. Is Skylar alright? I have a feeling she's uncomfortable around me" he asked. Kirby and Lark flashed a look and a nod to each other and Kirby walked ahead. "Um, how do I explain this? Skylar, isn't that fond of vampires" she whispered. Draven shot a 'I know that' look and Lark explained herself more, "Skylar's mother and younger brother went missing a few years back. Disappeared in the middle of the night, without word or trace. The police found her mother's bloody torn up body in the woods a couple of days later, she had vampire teeth marks all over her body. Her brother has never been found. That's why she's uncomfortable around you, around all vamps." Sadness flickered in Draven's eyes, he understood her pain and why she would fear him and his kind. He felt sorry for her. Lark knew how he felt, just by looking into his deep brown orbs. They continued to walk, when Kirby stopped them dead in their tracks. "Kirby, why did you stop? I wanna get home before it turns dark" snapped Skylar, running closer to him, when he held up a hand to stop her. "Shh, and stay hidden. It's Luvena" he whispered. The group moved slowly into the brushes, hiding all of themselves to see what Luvena was doing. She was alone, standing in the middle of the forest, shoving her straight light blonde hair into a high pony-tail. She giggled darkly to herself, muttering "let's see how they like this. A prank too far. They'll have to get rid of Eirlys, her band of homo freaks and those monster after this. They'll have no choice." When she turned to unknowingly face them, they all gasped in their minds at the sight. There stood Luvena McClaire, school Saint, covered head to toe in blood. Lark couldn't believe what she was seeing, 'she's finally lost it.' From the corner of her eye, Lark was shocked to see Lila was there too, sitting high in a tree watching the disturbed show. As Luvena walked off slowly and making her best horrified face, eyes all darted to the body of two dead cats and a shining kitchen knife lazily thrown on top of the animals. 

When the air felt clear, everyone fired out of their hiding places and gathered around the two poor creatures, and Lark felt uncontrollable rage. All she could do was stand still and shaking with her hand covering her mouth, as her eyes cried at the sight of her beloved cat Xena lying in a small pool of blood. Kirby grabbed onto Larks arms and whispered calming words and "don'ts" into her ear, while Draven hugged her from behind and kissed her cheek, despite Skylar's effort to get in his way. Lila checked the bodies for any small glimmer of hope of life, but shook her head and sincerely whispered, "I'm sorry, it's too late for them." Skylar just watched as Lark screamed bloody murder, letting her anger and heartache out into the world and Draven holding her harder. "She my friend, I should be the one holding her" Skylar muttered venom, believing no one could hear her, until Lila shot her a look of death and hissed, "then go and be there for her." She shakily walked over to Lark and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Why? Why would she do this? How could she do this to Xena?" Lark wept, her blood boiling and her eyes locked shut. "I don't know, but we'll make her pay for this. This is just too far" Kirby promised, uncharacteristically filling his words with hate and seriousness. He stared at Lark, knowing he had to remain calm and keep her from losing control. He knew what could happen if she lost herself to rage. Lila came towards them, knife in hand and a cold yet compassionate look on her face. "Agreed, Miss McClaire crossed a line in harming these innocent animals. I do not condone this kind of madness, and believe me I will help you get your revenge. But now is not the time for a hunt" she spoke with an authority beyond her years. Skylar dropped her hand from Lark's shoulder and pointed it at Lila, a cloud of anger filling her eyes and soul. "It's, it's your fault! This is all your fault! You and your families fault! You should have never have come here!" she yelled, fearful tears trickling down her cheeks. Lila didn't move or show any emotion, she just threw the knife away and nodded. Lark took a deep breath and opened her eyes, letting the sun hit her pupils and she turned her head to Skylar. "No Skylar, it's not, it not, their fault. It's not their fault. Don't, blame them. Blame Luvena" she sobbed.  Lark's cries broke through a little past Skylar's anger, turning her into a shivering shadow looking at the ground. No one spoke for a few moments, letting chirping birds  and rustling leaves consume the lowering sounds, of Lark's tears. Lila stared at the bodies, her instincts told her to track Luvena down and make her pay. She couldn't stand the unnecessary torture of the living, yet she stayed.

"So, Lady Lark" she said, ending the quiet and peering into Lark's watery eyes, "what do you what to do, about the bodies?" Lark wiped her tears and broke away softly from Draven's strong, safe arms. She walked to her forever sleeping cat, knelt beside her, running her fingers through it's fur one last time. "Maybe we should bury them, hey Lark?" suggested Skylar, filling her words with a fake friendliness that all could see past. Lark shook her head, "no. I wanna do this my way. I can't just bury her, she deserves more than that." Draven came to her and rubbed her shoulders, the smell of animal blood disgusting him but he wouldn't harm her nor leave her. "What do you need, my Lady? Anything you want, I can get from my house within seconds. Just tell me, and I'll get it" he said. Lark slowly stood and turned to face him. He was truly the most beautiful creature she had ever met and he was willing to do anything for her. 'He barely knows me, he didn't even meet Xena. Yet, he wants to help' she thought, a tiny smile playing on her lips. "Thank you Draven, it means a lot. I need some cloth, nothing too heavy. Some rose water, white feathers, a tea candle and some rosemary, please. Could you get all that?" she asked, hugging herself to keep the tears at bay. He simply nodded and ran off at high speeds towards his house. While Kirby and Skylar looked at their friend in confusion, she asked Lila "would you mind, I mean could you possibly freeze them? I'm not sure how long your ice gift lasts for, and I know you don't like me that much, but..." Before she could finish her speech, Lila held her shoulders firmly and flashed a smile, small and brief but still a smile. "I can get my ice to last forever. And I don't hate you, you did punch that bitch in the face for me, and it seems that you are on the side of my kind. I've just been around too many hateful humans, that I'm weary of all of them. But I will help you get revenge, and I will forever freeze the bodies. Just tell me when" she said, patting Lark's arms and stepping back. "Aw, so you can be kind?" Kirby teased, bringing some much needed humor back into the air. Before Lila could react, Draven was back with everything Lark asked for, along with his mother Belladonna. Kirby stood still in awe of such a beautiful woman, 'gay or not, even I can appreciate her beauty' he thought. Skylar couldn't look at her, she couldn't look at anyone. Belladonna rushed to Lark and engulfed her in a huge hug. "Draven told me what happened on the way. I'm so sorry Lark" she spoke so heartfelt, Lark almost started crying once more but she held it in. She thanked Belladonna for coming as she pulled away and took the items from Draven's hands. Lark soaked the long cream cloth in the rose water and wrapped both bodies within it. She placed the feathers and rosemary in between the cloth and the corpses, then placed the unlit tea lights on top. Nodding to Lila, she clicked her fingers and with a wave of her hand, the air turned from chilly to freezing and ice shot out of her fingertips, covering the bodies into an ice casket. Everyone then grabbed each others hands in a circle, and all was quiet.