Status: New

I Knew the Moment I Met You

3.

“So my Mum is called Maria and my Dad is called Eddison, so I’m kinda named after both of them. My younger sister is called Laura and her now fiancé is called Doug, my older brother is called Jace” Maddison explained in a fluster in the back of the taxi as she pulled a mirror out of her bag and balanced it on her knees as she pulled her hair out of the hair bobble and tried to smooth it out before topping up her eyeliner and putting on some lip gloss.

“Maria, Eddison, Laura, Doug, Jace. Think I got it” John nodded, biting his lip as he looked at the flustered girl sat next to him as she pulled a clean shirt out of her back pack pulling it over her head and then pulling the tank top she had worn previously out from underneath.

“You must think I’m mad for suggesting this” Maddison mumbled, rubbing her thumbs under each of her eyes before turning to look at John who just smiled back in response.

“Madds, I don’t think you are mad, I am just happy I could help” John shrugged, placing an arm around the girl and pulling her into a half hug, hoping that the taxi driver couldn’t hear their conversation, though he doubted it was the weirdest that he had heard.

“I don’t even know you” Maddison mumbled, pushing her hands through the hair she had just smoothed out “For all I know you could be a rapist or a murderer” she added, and John just laughed causing the girl to glare.

“Mads, babe, I promise you I am not a rapist or a murderer” John chuckled as Maddison rolled her eyes.

“Sure, that’s what any rapist or murderer would say. Anyway, I have a niece called Faith, she is Jace’s daughter and she is honestly the best little human being I have ever met” Maddison continued, blowing out the breath she was holding as she stared out the window.

“Got it. Faith. Niece. Best thing ever. Don’t worry, we have this covered. It’s 48 hours” John soothed, grabbing Maddison’s hand in the taxi and rubbing his thumb over her knuckles as she nodded, giving him a thin smile as the taxi pulled over outside of a red brick house only a 40 minute drive away from John’s own apartment.

“Show time” John smiled, squeezing the girls hand one more time before he paid the driver and then climbed out the taxi, slinging his backpack over his shoulder before grabbing his guitar and Maddison’s case before the house door swung open in front of them.

“Oh, Maddy, finally! We’ve been worried about you!” an older woman gasped, the odd silver strand darting through her dark brown hair as she ran out the house and encircled the young girl in a tight hug, her face splitting into a large grin as her eyes squeezed shut.

“Sorry, Mum, our flight was delayed” Maddison mumbled, waving her hand backwards to John who slowly made his way down the drive now wanting to interrupt the moment unravelling infront of him.

“Don’t worry about that sweetie, atleast you are here now!” Maria grinned, her hands cupping her daughters cheeks, not noticing the boy stood there until now “Though you never said you was bringing someone home” Maria chided, as John took a step forward offering her hand to the older woman.

“John O’Callaghan, Mrs Richards” John introduced himself with a smile, shaking her hand “Sorry about this, I didn’t know I was able to make it until last minute” John added with a small shrug as Maddison took a deep breath, wondering what exactly she had gotten herself into.

“Lovely to meet you, come on in!” Maria smiled, grabbing his free hand and pulling him into the house as Maddison followed, kicking off her vans and hanging her coat on the coat rack as their tones turned hush because of the time of night.

“Now, unfortunately everyone else is in bed. If you guys aren’t hungry you can head straight to Maddison’s room and you can meet everyone in the morning?” Maria suggested as the both nodded, Maddison pretty much racing upstairs and out of the way, John struggling to keep up as they wished her mother good night.

John stepped into what appeared to be the girls childhood bedroom, a large bed with a teal bed spread laid before a large bay window, blinds were already pulled down. A dressing table was opposite, the counter top empty before their bags were placed on top of it as Maddison shut the door behind them.

“What have I gotten us into?” Maddison groaned, sagging against the door and running her hands through has hair as John chuckled pulling his jacket off and placing it over the stool.

“Don’t worry about it until morning, for now, let’s sleep!” he suggested, as Maddison nodded, heading to a cupboard and grabbing a pair of pyjamas before heading out to the bathroom.

Whilst the girl was gone he grabbed the blanket that was folded at the end of her bed and a spare throw pillow as he began to fashion a bed near the base of her wardrobe, knowing that here he would be out of the way. Pulling off his plain white V-neck and dark blue jeans he folded them under the chair as he crawled into the makeshift bed in his boxers’ only moments before the girl came back into the room.

“What are you doing?” she asked, eyeing up the boy as he tried to snuggle up the blankets as she climbed into her own bed, pulling the covers to her hips.

“Laying in my bed” he responded quietly with a chuckle “Duh!” he added as she rolled her eyes, leaning over to throw the cover at the other side of the bed back.

“You don’t have to do that, I feel bad enough that I made you come here. Having you sleep on the floor might send me over the edge” she responded motioning to the bed “It’s not like its not big enough, I don’t mind if you don’t” she shrugged, reaching over for her bedside light and flicking it off as John contemplated what the girl had said before quietly heading over to the bed slipping into it, ensuring that he stayed a fair distance away from the girl.

“Thank you for doing this for me John” Maddison whispered quietly in the dark, rolling on her side to face the boy as she slowly shut her eyes “I know it’s an absolutely bizarre suggestion”

“Don’t worry about it, I am glad I could help” John responded in a whisper, but before the words had left his mouth the girl was sound asleep.