Status: New

I Knew the Moment I Met You

2.

“So you are in a band, huh?” Maddison asked, pointing to the guitar case wait the spoon that was covered in frozen yogurt before placing it in her mouth.

“What gave it away?” John smirked as Maddison rolled her eyes, swallowing the frozen yogurt before responding.

“You mentioned that your Grandma mocked you for it every year” she responded as John grimaced, nodding his head slightly.

“Ah, I thought the guitar case had given it away. Yeah, my band has been together for 10 years they are my best buds, if it wasn’t for them I don’t think I would have been doing it for so long” he explained as Maddison let out an awe.

“That’s so cute, let me guess. Lead guitar?” she asked, as she eyed up the banged up case that was laid by his feet and he shook his head with a grin.

“Nope, lead singer babe” he chuckled as Maddison laughed out loud at his arrogance.

“With that attitude, how did I guess wrong? Let me guess the fans eat up your bad boy looks. They all want a piece of Johnny boy”

“You are not wrong there” he laughed as Maddison smacked him on the arm “All joking aside, I love our fans, if it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t be where we are today so I try and make sure we give back to them all I can. Whether that’s free shows, making sure we do meet and greets free of cost for every fan that turns up, we will do it” he shrugged as Maddison smiled, it seemed that this John character was a nice guy.

After leaving the bar they had headed over to the food court, tucking into a cinnamon pretzel where they covered topics such as favourite colours (blue for him, green for her), favourite bands (he was torn whereas she had answered that at the moment it was The 1975), their ages (they were both 29 though she was a couple of months older) before moving onto the day jobs (she worked in an office whilst he was in a band). Even though they were only covering the fluffy topics, Maddison could tell that John was a nice guy, and it didn’t hurt that he was doing a cracking job of distracting her on the inevitable fact that she would be heading home soon.

“So if your family are from here, where have you flown in from? Do you live in a different state?” John asked, gathering up his rubbish and placing it in his now empty container as he reclined in his seat, his hands going behind his head.

“Nah, I still live in Arizona, I’ve just been in Australia” Maddison explained, swirling the remainder of her frozen yogurt around in her plastic container “My best friend emigrated over there with her husband at the beginning of the year so I went for a visit”

“What did you think of Aus?” John asked, as Maddison shrugged, a small smile playing on her moth.

“It was nice as a holiday, but I don’t think I could ever live over there” she responded, gathering their rubbish and placing it in the bin. “Have you been?” she asked tapping her nails on the table as she crossed her legs under the table.

“Yeah, we’ve toured over their a couple of times, it is a beautiful country” John agreed as her eyebrows shot up.

“Wow, toured? Your band must be pretty big” she mused as John blushed shaking his head.

“We aren’t household names but we are doing well” he replied diplomatically as Maddison scoffed, rolling her eyes at his word, she got the idea that he seemed to knock himself down a peg or too quite a bit.

“Now I think you are just being humble” she countered and John merely shrugged, swiping at the condensation on the table, spelling the letter J with his fingertips.

This time the silence was broken by John’s phone ringing, not Maddison’s for once, he dug out the pocket and looked at the name before placing it face down on the table looking at Maddison with a tight smile as she merely raised her eyebrow at him.

“You aren’t the only one who doesn’t want to speak to people this Christmas?” he responded and Maddison nodded, it was true, she didn’t have the monopoly on not wanting to go home, after all her family was a lovely bunch, but the constant worrying and nagging over her drove her mad. It was times like this when she wondered why she had turned down Jana’s offer to spend Christmas with her and Len in Sydney.

John knew that he shouldn’t have avoided Garrett’s call, after all the boy was probably sat in the parking lot right now wondering why the boy hadn’t come out yet and stressing that he had written the flight details wrong. It was just that he was enjoying spending time with this mysterious girl and he wasn’t ready to go back to his own life yet. It wasn’t like he had lied intentionally, it might have made the girl feel better to know that she wasn’t the only one that didn’t want to leave the airport, but when she had asked if his flight was delayed agreeing with her had seemed like the easiest response.

Sorry bud, nightmare with flight. Don’t think I will be making it in today. Owe you one

John tapped out the message to Garrett and sent it, he did feel guilty that his friend had driven all the way to the airport and had been sat outside it for over half an hour waiting for him but he knew that he could make it up to Garrett another day.

“Doesn’t look like any flights are making it out tonight” Maddison commented, nodding towards the screen that now stated that all flights for the next several day had been cancelled and it didn’t show much thoughts for the day after either.

“Looks like it does” John sighed, knowing he had dug himself into a hole, once Maddison had left he would head out and get a taxi back home and Maddison wouldn’t be any wiser, he would tell his family that his flight from New York had been delayed and that he would have to spend Christmas day out there, sure they would be disappointed but it would allow John the peace and quiet that he needed.

“I know we have just met but no one should spend Christmas alone” Maddison started, stumbling on her words and wishing she had a drink stronger than the milkshake she had sitting in fronting of her “It’s just I had an idea, and I know it’s a crazy one. But why don’t you come back to mine for Christmas? You could spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day there and then when the weather has cleared up jump on a flight Boxing Day? If you wanted to pretend to be my boyfriend to help me escape all sorts of shame that would be a big help. I must sound absolutely bonkers right now…” Maddison trailed off rubbing her hands over her eyes, wishing that she could have shut her mouth long before those words spewed out. The boy must think she was raving mad.

“Mads. Count me in.”