Of a New Midday

Causing the Traffic

MAYBE WE SHOULD study after this round.”

“Oh, so you won’t lose again?”

I roll my eyes, tightening my grip around my paddle, shaking my head. I think about announcing that I have to continue studying for our kinesiology exam. But considering that my exam is in four days, I’m 85% certain that I’ll have enough time to cram. One more game, or three—let’s be honest here—won’t hurt.

Phin serves while yelling out, “Kelly Clarkson!”

“Why must you always scream a an artist’s’ name every time you serve?” I scoff, hitting the ball back. “Who are you—Steve Carell from 40-Year-Old Virgin?”

We go back and forth for a while until Phin wins the round.

“Hell yeah!” he beams, throwing his hands in the air. He serves while saying, “Y’know, I’m screwed for the kinesiology exam.”

I roll my eyes again, puffing, “You always say that but you always manage to get higher than a B.”

Phin snorts.

We hit the ball back and forth a couple times until I see Phin dropping his shoulders, looking straight behind me through the glasses doors. His eyes narrow at the door, scanning whatever he is distracted by—probably a Dominos car or a pug.

Still fixated on the game, I continue to focus on winning.

“Look!” he shouts, probably just trying to make me miss.

I don’t look behind me like he’s telling me to turn as if my life depended on it, but instead I swing my paddle and watch the ball pass him.

I throw my hands up, gleaming. Looking at him, he’s just staring pass me, like he didn’t notice his defeat.

A couple more people follow Phin’s gaze, walking slowly to the door. They are trying to get a better look at whatever the commotion was.

I cave in.

I turn around and follow everyone’s gaze.

And there they are: two oddly large people fighting against their wills in the middle of the street, probably causing the traffic.

Man, New York never fails to amaze me.
♠ ♠ ♠
one/two