There Was You

20: Whatever You Are

Leaning his weight against the bathroom door frame, Iker quirked a soft smile to himself, his eyes fixed on the mess of dark hair which was still curled up against a pillow, her soft breathing the only sound disturbing the otherwise silent hotel room. He hadn’t wanted to get up, when he had woken up nearly half an hour previous, he had found Riley curled up next to him, her arm draped happily over his stomach, and he had seriously debated staying put for a few minutes before he had eventually slipped away, not wanting her to feel uncomfortable when she woke up.

He knew that she had been nervous, from the moment that she had stepped into his room the previous night, she had timid and uncertain, and whilst Iker wasn’t bothered by the idea that she had cuddled up to him in his sleep, he knew that there was a chance she would be, something which had caused him to get up, even if he was a little reluctant to. He didn’t want her to feel the need to be timid and uncertain with him.

Lightly scratching his chin, he watched as Riley stirred a little in her sleep before the sound of a light knock at the door reached his ears, causing him to frown slightly. It was early, after the wedding reception had gone into the early hours of the morning, Iker hadn’t been expecting to see anyone until at least late morning, and he was surprised by the knocking.

Sparing a brief look towards the bed to make sure that Riley hadn’t been disturbed, he shuffled towards the door and pulled it open, his eyes widening a little as they settled on Mia who stood outside. “Mia?” he asked, pulling the door to behind himself.

Mia, who’d been staring down at her phone, looked up at the sound of his voice. “Iker” she breathed “This is your room. Great. I’ve already knocked on four other doors” she added.

Iker smiled a little before he shook his head, sheepishly looking down towards his feet. “Can I help you with something, Mia?” he asked.

“I was just wondering if you’d seen my sister” Mia noted “We were supposed to share a room last night, but she never came back and I...” she trailed off as Iker took half a pace backwards, gently knocking the door open wide enough for her to catch a glimpse of Riley.

Mia quirked a grin, glancing up at Iker’s blushing face. “She spent the night, huh?” she quipped.

Iker opened and closed his mouth a couple of times, trying to think of something to say, before Mia let out a soft laugh, cutting him off. “Don’t worry” she mused “Your little secret is safe with me” she added.

“It’s not...we didn’t...” Iker spluttered, the blush on his cheeks darkening a shade.

“Whatever you did or didn’t do is your business” Mia quipped “But know this. Not one of my relatives bought the ‘he’s Nuno’s friend’ bit” she added.

Iker’s eyes widened a little, something which caused Mia to laugh, shaking her head gently. “Don’t look so worried, Iker” she mused “We’re not about to start talking about weddings and babies. We’re just glad that Riley’s met someone like you, whatever you are to her. She could do a lot worse than a friend like you” she added, her voice softening a little.

It had nothing to do with them, whatever was happening between Iker and Riley, it had nothing to do with Mia and the rest of Riley’s family, but they had all agreed that they liked Iker, and that they liked how he was with Riley. They had tried to be subtle, throughout the wedding reception, both Iker and Riley had tried to sneak glances at one another when they thought no one was watching, and when they caught each other looking, they’d smile softly and blush before they looked away, something that Mia, and the rest of her family, found adorable.

Iker blinked a couple of times before he quirked a small proud smile, shifting his feet a little. “Thank you” he mused softly.

Mia patted his shoulder gently. “She likes tea” she mused “And there’s an omelette on the room service menu. She’d love that too” she added before she stepped away, making her way up the corridor.

Iker watched after her for a second before he shook his head, stepping back into his room. Knocking the door shut quietly, he padded across the room and collected the room service menu before he sat down at the end of the bed, quietly looking it over.

“Iker?”

Iker looked up at the sound of Riley’s voice before he turned, offering her a soft smile over his shoulder. “Here” he mused.

Riley blinked a couple of times, pushing her messy dark hair off of her face, before she quirked a sleepy smile. “Hi” she breathed.

“Are you hungry?” Iker asked “I was just looking over the room service menu and I was thinking of ordering something” he added, showing her the menu he held in his hands.

Riley glanced at the menu before she nodded. “If you don’t mind me imposing on you for a little longer” she mused.

Iker shook his head. “You’re not an imposition” he quipped “I mean, believe it or not, I rather like your company” he added, smirking impishly.

Riley lifted an amused eyebrow. “Yeah?” she asked.

Iker nodded. “I mean, you snore a little” he quipped “And for someone so small, you take up a lot more of the bed than I was expecting, but I think I can probably get used to it” he added, his voice softening slightly.

Riley, who’d started to mess with the duvet, smiled down at it shyly, something which made Iker smiled to himself before he turned back to the menu, scanning it quietly for a few seconds. “Tea?” he asked.

Riley nodded. “I’d love some” she mused “And an...”

“Omelette?” Iker finished for her.

Riley blinked a couple of times, surprised by how easily he’d finished her sentence, before she nodded. “It sounds perfect” she noted.

“I’ll order it then” Iker mused as he stepped across the room, lifting the phone off of the receiver.

Riley watched him as he spoke into the phone, admiring him slightly, before Iker looked up and caught her eye, flashing her a small smile that had her smiling back at him instantly before she looked down at the duvet shyly. Lifting her hand, she pushed it back through her messy hair before she caught sight of her phone on the nightstand, something which caused her to reach out. Lifting it up into her hand, she noticed a few calls from Mia that she had missed thanks to the phone being on silent, before a text at the top of the screen caught her eyes, causing her to laugh quietly.

Iker, who’d set the room phone back down, looked at her curiously. “What’s so funny?” he asked.

Riley, who’d been typing a reply, shook her head. “Just a text to Mia sent me” she mused.

“What’d it say?” Iker asked.

Riley just turned the phone around, showing of the text that simply read ‘Nuno’s friend?’ accompanied by a winking emoji.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, Jayme112234, FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)