There Was You

24: You Seem To Be Enjoying Yourself

Sipping on the glass of wine that her mother had put into her hand, Riley smiled to herself, her eyes settled on Iker who was stood a little away from her, talking and laughing happily with her father and brother. He had been over there for a while, after his nerves about spending the afternoon with her family had subsided, he had been quick to settle into conversation with Garrett and Isaac, and whilst Riley had thought about interrupting a couple of times, she hadn’t want to step on his toes, more than happy to watch him get along well with the people that were important. She hadn’t doubted that he would, after he’d met her family at the wedding, she had been sure that he would fit in without a problem, but still she was pleased to see that he had, even more so since he had so been nervous. She kind of liked the idea that impressing her family meant something to him.

Taking another sip of her drink, she felt her smile grow as the familiar sound of Iker’s laugh filled her ears before she heard someone sit down beside her, causing her to turn her head slightly, sparing a brief glance at her mother. “You need something, mama?” she asked, quickly trying to stifle her goofy smile.

Maria shook her head, sipping on her own drink. “Can’t a woman just want to sit with her daughter?” she asked.

Riley nodded. “Of course” she quipped “But I know that look on your face. You didn’t just come to sit here, mama” she added with a soft laugh.

Maria scoffed, playfully rolling her eyes, before she shook her head, her eyes following Riley’s stare back towards Iker. She hadn’t missed it, since they’d separated from one another, both Iker and Riley had cast looks back and forth towards one another when they thought no one else was watching, and Maria had to admit that she found it cute, even if she didn’t intend of saying anything about it. She couldn’t miss the little smiles that bloomed on their faces when their eyes met. “Is he enjoying himself?” she asked, disturbing the silence which had settled over her and Riley.

Riley, who’d shyly diverted her stare down towards her glass, blinked a couple at the sound of her mother’s voice. “Huh?” she asked.

“Iker” Maria clarified “Is he enjoying himself? I mean, I know he’s spent a lot of time with Garrett and your papa, but I thought maybe he was just being polite. Is he actually enjoying himself?” she asked.

Riley nodded her head, smiling gently. “I think so” she mused “I mean, he was pretty nervous about coming, but if I had to guess, I’d say he’s enjoying himself” she added.

Maria nodded her head slowly, watching as Riley allowed her eyes to wander towards the goalkeeper again, before she quirked a small smile to herself. Ushering herself back to her feet, she leant forwards and kissed the top of Riley’s head before she padded over towards her husband and Garrett, mumbling something which caused the two of them to flash Riley a quick look before they trudged into the house after her.

Riley frowned a little, confused by what was happening, before Iker stepped towards her, plopping down into the seat that her mother had vacated. “Is everything alright?” Riley asked “What’d my mother say to make my papa and brother run away like that?” she asked.

Iker quirked a smirk. “She made some vague excuse about needing their help with something” he noted “But really? I think she was just trying to get them away from me so that I could come over here” he added.

Riley felt her cheeks warm. “And why would she do that?” she mumbled, tucking her hair off of her face.

Iker just smiled at her, something which made Riley roll her eyes, trying, and failing, to stop herself from smiling gently in return. “I didn’t ask her to do that” she mumbled after a second “I mean, yeah, I’d have liked to have spoken to you again at some point, but I was quite happy to wait. You seemed to be enjoying yourself” she added.

“Your papa’s very funny” Iker quipped.

Riley lifted an eyebrow. “Should I be worried?” she asked.

Iker offered her a non-committal shrug, a grin pulling at the corner of his lips. “He might have told a couple of stories” he quipped.

Riley groaned. “The school play when I was nine?” she asked.

Iker nodded. “And your aunt’s wedding when you were six” he mused.

Riley let out another groan, something which made Iker chuckle before he shifted his hand, settling it on her knee. “Don’t worry” he quipped “I thought they were cute” he added.

Riley offered him a dubious look. “You’re just saying that, aren’t you?” she asked.

Iker just grinned at her, something which made Riley sigh before she shook her head. “I knew I should have kept you and my papa apart” she mused, her voice warm and playful.

Iker laughed gently before a silence settled over them, something which afforded Riley the chance to look around them before she shuffled a little closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder. “You have enjoyed today, haven’t you?” she asked quietly.

Iker leant his head against hers before he nodded, smiling a little. “I have” he mused “I mean, I was pretty nervous about coming, but your family...they’re lovely, Riley” he added.

Riley quirked a small grin, briefly contemplating making some kind of joke, before she shifted her hand, settling it on top of his which sat on her knee. Allowing the silence to linger, she knotted her fingers through his before she turned to look up at him, her grey eyes searching his darker ones. Smiling gently, she carefully lifted her other hand, running her fingertips through his dark hair before the sound of the patio door a little away from them opening and closing caught her ears, causing her to jerk her hand back.

Maria, who’d stepped back outside, quirked a grin to herself. “Don’t stop on my account, honey” she cooed.

Riley groaned. “Mama” she complained.

“What?” Maria quipped “It’s not like we don’t already know that you two kiss. Matilda was very happy to tell us all earlier that she’d caught you” she added.

Riley closed her eyes, mumbling her complaints beneath her breath, something which made Iker snicker, amused by the blush which had quickly filled her cheeks.

Maria looked between the two of them before she laughed. “Come on, you two” she quipped “Matilda helped Mia make a cake. You can join us for some before you head out. Is that alright with you, Iker?” she asked.

Iker nodded. “I’d love to, Maria” he quipped.

“Great” Maria grinned.

Iker offered her a polite smile before he shuffled up to his feet, extending a hand out towards Riley who hesitated for a beat before she took it. Helping her back to her feet, Iker carefully untangled their fingers before he gestured ahead of him, allowing Riley to walk into the house first before he followed. “You two can sit over there” Maria quipped, gesturing to two empty seats on the far side of a dining room table.

Iker nodded and walked over to the chairs, sitting down before Riley sat next to him.

“So” Isaac grinned from his seat at the head of the table “It’s been a wonderful day, no?” he added.

“It has been” Maria agreed “All three of our adorable babies in one place. I look forwards to it every year” she cooed.

“I do too” Isaac agreed “I mean, I know the three of you are all grown up now and your own lives to be worrying about, but me and your mama, we still look forwards to this. We’ve loved watching Matilda grow, getting to know Eva and Jonah as they became a part of the family, and now we’re very excited to meet Riley’s new...friend. It’s been really good having you here, Iker” he added warmly.

“He’s Auntie Riley’s boyfriend” Matilda chirped brightly, grinning through a mouthful of chocolate cake.

Iker, who’d already been smiling sheepishly at the older man, felt his cheeks warm, something which made Isaac smirk. “You really didn’t think we’d pieced it together?” he quipped “Iker, Riley, you two are about as subtle as a slap in the face” he added brightly.

Iker blinked a couple of times, something which made Isaac laugh before he lifted his glass. “To Iker and Riley” he quipped “Whatever they are choosing to call each other” he added playfully.

The rest of the family mimicked his toast as Riley’s hand slipped beneath the table, squeezing Iker’s comfortingly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)