There Was You

28: Would It Impress You?

Gently pushing her hair behind her ear, Riley shuffled her left foot forwards, staring at the shoe that she wore on it in the mirror ahead of her. It wasn’t like her, since she and Iker had started to spend time together, they’d been out to lunch or dinner more times than she could count, but with Iker having floated the idea that the dinner that they were having together that night could act as their first official date, there were butterflies in her stomach, something which had led to her spending a long time stood in front of her mirror, trying to make sure that she looked the best that she could. She knew that it wasn’t the biggest deal, she and Iker had been hanging out for months before they’d made things official between them, and she knew that that night would be no different to all of the others which had preceded it, but still she couldn’t stifle the nerves which had arisen as soon as Iker, in a light and playful tone, had suggested that that was their first date.

Chewing on her lip thoughtfully, she studied the shoe on her left foot before she pulled it back, instead shuffling the right one forwards. Staring at the mirror, she frowned a little to herself before the sound of knocking at the front door filled her ears, causing her eyes to widen before she whipped her head around, glancing at the clock which sat on her wall. Catching sight of the time, she let out a quiet curse to herself before she padded out of the bedroom, making her way towards the front door before she pulled it open, her excuses dying on her tongue as she caught sight of Iker on the other side.

Iker looked up at the sound of the door opening before he quirked a grin. “You didn’t get my text” he announced.

Riley blinked a couple of times before she shook her head, her grey eyes mirroring his. “I didn’t” she replied “What did it say?” she asked.

Iker laughed gently, gesturing to the t-shirt and pair of shorts that he wore. “This isn’t obvious enough?” he asked.

Riley looked him up and down for a second before she shook her head, her hands shyly pulling at the skirt of the dress that she wore.

Iker watched her for a second, smiling gently at the hint of pink which had quickly flooded her cheeks, before he stepped forwards, brushing a soft kiss against her cheek. “We can still go out if you want to” he mumbled “I mean, I’d probably have to go home and get changed, and you’d probably have to put on shoes that matched but...” he trailed off, smiling against her skin.

Riley laughed quietly, her eyes peeking down at her feet. “You made me nervous” she muttered “Talking about first dates” she added.

Iker leant up, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head. “I know” he mumbled into her hair.

Riley leant back, her eyes meeting his eyes. “What?” she squeaked.

Iker shrugged nonchalantly, a small half-smile flitting around the corner of his lips. “I know that I did” he clarified gently “Riley, we’ve been spending time together for months. I know the little changes in your voice when you get anxious” he added.

Riley shook her head, smiling goofily down at her feet. “Really?” she asked.

Iker nodded, gently pushing his fingers through her hair. “I heard your voice change” he mumbled “And so I thought I’d come here instead. I figured we could go to the supermarket down the street, buy some ingredients and cook something together. We could also pick up a nice bottle of wine. You’ve got a balcony here, haven’t you?” he asked.

Riley nodded.

“It’s a nice night” Iker quipped with a grin “Romantic” he added, settling his arms around her waist.

Riley grinned before she leant up, kissing his lips swiftly. “I need to change” she quipped “Ten minutes?” she added before she skittered away down the hall.

~#~
“Aren’t you cold?”

Iker, who’d been watching the streets below, quirked a grin at the sound of Riley’s voice before he shook his head, watching as she retook her seat beside him, her hand adjusting the sweater that she had ducked inside to get a few moments previous. It hadn’t been the night he had originally planned, when they’d originally agreed to get together at the end of the week, he had envisioned making an attempt at all of the little clichés that were associated with first dates, the restaurant, the flowers, the awkward small talk, but when he had heard the nerves in Riley’s voice when he’d called her earlier in the day, he’d opted to change their plans, not wanting things to feel in anyway strange or different between them.

He liked how they were together, whether they were just friends or boyfriend and girlfriend, he liked that they could just sit and talk and make each other laugh, and he didn’t see the need to change something which worked for them, not when he had heard the change in Riley’s voice when he’d suggested that that night was their first official date. He wanted her to feel comfortable, like she had done since they’d met.

“Not particularly” he replied “It’s still pretty warm out” he added with a little shrug.

Riley rolled her eyes. “You don’t have to pretend” she quipped “I mean, you already know I like you, you don’t have to be brave to impress me” she added playfully.

Iker scoffed. “Would it impress you?” he asked, an eyebrow raised in amusement.

Riley shrugged, grinning. “I do need someone in my life who can handle spiders” she quipped “I’m terrified of them, even the really tiny ones. What about you?” she asked.

“I don’t love them” Iker replied “But you know what, I’ll be the one to handle them for you” he added.

Riley laughed gently before she shook her head, sipping on the glass of wine that she had moved to pick up. “So it’s cool if I call you any time to come and get one?” she asked “Because if I call you at three in the morning, and you give me attitude...” she trailed off, taking another sip of her drink.

Iker laughed. “I make no promises” he quipped.

Riley offered him an exaggerated roll of her grey eyes before she shook her head, moving to collect the bottle of wine which sat on the table away from them. Picking it up, she shook her head gently before she held it out towards Iker, showing him that it was empty. “I can’t believe we drank both of these” she quipped.

Iker shrugged. “It’s been a good night” he quipped “You’re a lot of fun, Munuera” he added.

Riley scoffed, plopping back down next to him. “Don’t sound so surprised” she noted.

Iker just offered her a boyish smile, something which caused Riley to shove his shoulder playfully before she laughed. Shaking her head, she allowed a few beats of silence to pass between the two of them, before she shuffled a little closer, pressing a hesitant kiss against Iker’s lips. Iker stilled momentarily, surprised by the kiss, but he grew into it quickly, kissing her warmly as his hand trailed upwards, tentatively settling against the side of her neck.

Riley made a soft sound at the feel of his hand before she pulled away, peeking up at him through her eyelashes. “You...” she murmured between little kisses “You could stay” she added.

Iker’s breathing hitched slightly before he pulled away, hesitating a beat before he shook his head. “No” he murmured “I really ought...I should go” he added.

Riley’s expression faltered, but she nodded her head, forcing the best smile she could onto her face. “O...Ok” she mused.

Iker fought off a groan at her stutter, shaking his head slightly. “Riley...”

“I get it” Riley interrupted “We’ve both been drinking. You don’t have to say it” she added.

Iker sighed, but didn’t fight her, instead pushing himself up slightly before he dropped a kiss on her head. “Goodnight, Riley” he mumbled into her hair.

Riley let out a hollow laugh. “This feels a little familiar” she quipped “I’m really good at picking moments, aren’t I?” she added, looking up at him as he made his way towards the door.

Iker hesitated for a moment in the doorway before he shook his head, offering her a little smile. “It could be worse” he quipped, half teasingly.

Riley looked at him for a second, not missing the slightly shy expression on his features, before she shook her head, laughing gently despite herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and TheLovelessXxX for the comments :)