There Was You

30: There Will Be Other Nights

“Are you sure that I am dressed alright?” Iker called from his spot in the hall, his ears filled with the sound of Riley rushing around a little away from him, getting ready for the work party of hers that they were due to head to that night.

The invitation had surprised him, even when Marisol had broached the topic the day previous, he still hadn’t quite expected that Riley would ask him to go along with her, but he couldn’t help but be a little pleased that she had, even if he was slightly apprehensive about the prospect of meeting more people in her life. The idea that she wanted him to was something which bought a little grin to his face. It was always going to happen, with the two of them becoming a bigger part of each other’s lives, they were eventually going to have to embrace the other people that were involved in one another’s lives, and whilst Iker was nervous, he was sort of looking forwards to it, wanting to see yet another side of the woman who was growing more and more important to him.

“I’m certain” Riley called back “It’s just a few drinks at a bar close to the office. It’s nothing particularly fancy. Besides, I think you look great” she added, her voice softening a little.

Iker felt his cheeks warm before he shook his head, smiling to himself softly. “Gracias” he replied.

Riley, who’d stepped out of the bathroom, glanced up at him for a second, marveling at his gentle smile, before she gently cleared her throat, pulling his attention up towards her. “Do I look Ok?” she asked, softly fussing with her skirt.

Iker’s soft smile widened a little as he looked her up and down before he nodded, clearing his throat slightly. “You look beautiful” he noted “You always do” he added.

Riley grinned impishly, tucking her hair behind her ear shyly. “What about the outfit, then?” she asked “It looks OK?” she added.

Iker breathed out a little laugh, but didn’t hesitate in nodding his head. “It looks great” he mused “But you are going to take a jacket, right? I mean, you’re always getting cold” he added.

Riley’s smile softened a little at his concern before she nodded, moving to collect the jacket that she had laid out on her bed. “You still sure about coming tonight?” she asked, wrapping her jacket around her shoulders.

Iker feigned a nonchalant shrug. “How bad can it be?” he asked “I mean, it’s just a few drinks right? I am sure I can hold my own in conversation for a couple of hours” he added, his nerves bleeding out into his voice slightly.

Riley, who’d been carefully adjusting one of the clips which held her hair in place, caught the slight hint of apprehension in his voice before she turned back to look at him. Hesitating for a second, she closed a little of the gap which existed between the two of them and took a hold of his hand, allowing him to gently slip his fingers through hers. “You that there’ll be another shot at this, don’t you?” she asked, keeping her eyes on their hands.

Iker frowned. “What?” he asked.

“It doesn’t have to be tonight” Riley rephrased gently “I’d love you to come, but if you’re not ready, it’s fine. I know it was a bit of a last minute invitation” she added, tilting her head back so that she looked up at him.

Iker held her stare, his dark eyes searching hers, before he shook his head, squeezing her hand gently. “I want to go” he insisted.

Riley hesitated for a moment, briefly contemplating asking if he was sure, before she quirked a soft smile. “We should go then” she mused before she leant up, sneaking a quick kiss.

Iker held onto her, drawing out the kiss for a little longer, before he pulled away, smiling down at her tenderly. “I guess we should” he agreed.

~#~
“Riley!”

Iker, who’d been helping Riley out of her jacket, looked up at the sound of his girlfriend’s name, his eyes immediately landing on a dark haired woman who was weaving through people to get to them. It was busy, the bar that Riley had directed their taxi driver towards was full of people and noise, and for a split second it caused Iker’s stomach to turn, something Riley seemed to sense, her hand quickly taking a hold of his in order to offer it a gentle squeeze. Feeling their fingers knot together, he took in a breath before he squeezed her hand back, smiling down at her gratefully.

“I was wondering when you’d get here” the dark haired woman announced.

Riley rolled her eyes playfully before she leant forwards, greeting the brunette with a kiss on the cheek. “It’s barely past seven” she quipped “How long’ve you been here?” she asked.

“Long enough” the brunette replied.

Riley shook her head, laughing gently, before she felt Iker squeeze her hand, something which caused her to look up, catching sight of the curious look that was on his face. Blinking in realization, she smiled a little to herself before she lifted her other hand, gesturing towards the other woman. “Sabrina” she mused “This is my boyfriend, Iker. Iker, this is my friend Sabrina. We work together” she added, unable to stop the little smile that she wore growing as the phrase ‘my boyfriend’ fell out of her mouth.

Sabrina quirked an amused eyebrow, not missing the goofy smile on Riley’s face, before she stuck her hand out towards Iker. “It’s good to meet you, Iker” she enthused “You’re the one who sends the flowers, right?” she added.

Iker laughed bashfully, shaking her hand gently. “I am” he confirmed.

“Good” Sabrina quipped “Because for a brief second there, I was worried I had told you about Riley’s secret lover” she added brightly.

Riley rolled her eyes, but Iker laughed, shaking his head amusedly.

“All of the girls are jealous” Sabrina continued, her voice warm and teasing “And clearly they ought to be. Where’ve you been hiding him, Ry?” she added, playfully looking Iker up and down.

Riley shook her head. “How much have you already had, Sabrina?” she quipped playfully.

Sabrina grinned impishly. “It is a party, Riley” she chirped.

“A work party” Riley countered.

“Still a party” Sabrina noted “And as a party, we should get you both a drink. Go and grab a table, I’ll bring them over” she added, pointing vaguely towards an empty table at the side of the room before she walked away towards the bar.

Riley watched her a few paces away before she started towards the table, tugging Iker along behind her. Taking a seat, she watched him sit down in the chair beside her before she offered him her hand with a crooked grin, something which made Iker roll his eyes before he took it, happily knotting their fingers together. “Sabrina seems fun” he quipped, grazing his thumb over the back of her hand.

Riley nodded. “She is” she confirmed “She’s most of the reason I come to parties like this” she added.

Iker tilted his head. “Not much of a party person?” he asked.

Riley shook her head. “I’d take a quiet night in over a night like this any time” she mused “I’ve only come tonight because I happen to quite like my boss. He’s been in charge for years and I am actually going to miss him when he’s gone” she added, gesturing towards an older man who stood a little away from them, talking happily to the group of people who were gathered around him.

Iker nodded his head slowly, scanning the room for a few seconds, before the sound of the other chair at the table being dragged out reached his attention, causing him to look up at Sabrina who sat down. “Drinks will be over in a second” she quipped.

Riley nodded. “A lot of people showed up” she noted.

“It’s an open bar” Sabrina returned with a grin “Most of the company showed up” she added playfully.

Riley rolled her eyes before she caught sight of a blonde woman who stood a little away from them, a sight which caused her stomach to turn a little.

Iker, who’d been watching her, saw the shift in her expression, something which caused him to frown. “Ry?” he asked.

Riley blinked a couple of times.

“You OK?” Iker asked.

Riley nodded. “Just thought I recognized someone” she noted “Sabrina, who’s the blonde over there?” she asked, pointing subtly.

Sabrina followed the gesture before she turned back. “I think her name is Melissa” she noted “She’s pretty new. Why?” she asked.

Riley, who’d been looking towards where Melissa stood, shook her head and opened her mouth to reply, only to stop herself, her eyes watching as a dark haired man stepped up beside Melissa, placing a drink into her hand as he pressed a kiss to her cheek.

Iker watched her open and close her mouth a couple of times before he followed her stare, his stomach immediately dropping in recognition of the man that she was looking at.

“Ben” he murmured softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)