There Was You

50: It Feels Like Yesterday

“What do you think?”

Iker, who’d been messing with his phone, looked up at the sound of Riley’s voice, a familiar smile immediately appearing to brighten up his features as his gaze settled on her, scanning the dress that she wore admiringly. It had been a little while, after Riley’s nephew had been born, a few weeks had passed, and with Marisol’s 28th birthday having arrived, they were due to head over to her apartment for the party that Nuno had arranged for her, something Iker knew Riley wasn’t entirely looking forwards, even if she did want to celebrate with her friend. He knew that there was a part of her that was dreading being in a room with Marisol’s sisters and friends.

They hadn’t seen a lot of one another, after Marisol and Nuno had gotten married and Riley and Iker had started to date, it seemed as though Marisol and Riley had drifted apart, and whilst the blonde hadn’t hesitated in extending an invitation to Riley to her party, Iker knew that Riley was wary about going, not wanting to see the distance which had grown between her and her friend.

Taking a couple of seconds, he looked her up and down before he shook his head. “I don’t know why you ask me” he quipped “You must know what I am going to say” he added.

Riley, who’d been adjusting her dress a little, glanced up at him through her eyelashes, a faint smile flitting around her lips. “Maybe I like hearing it” she replied.

Iker smiled a little, amused by her response, before he shuffled out of his seat, moving to settle his arms around her waist. “You look gorgeous, Riley” he mumbled softly “Just like always” he added, dropping a careful kiss on the top of her hair.

Riley closed her eyes at the feel of his lips against her head, allowing a moment to pass between them, before she gently pulled away, moving towards the couch so that she could slip her shoes on.

Iker watched her for a second before he cleared his throat, causing Riley to look back up at him, a slightly bemused smile on her face. “You alright?” she asked.

“Fine” Iker replied “I was just...you do know that we don’t have to go tonight, don’t you?” he asked.

Riley blinked a couple of times, surprised by the question, before she tilted her head. “What?” she asked.

“The party” Iker clarified “I mean, if you want to go, then I am more than happy to go with you, I just...I don’t know, I guess I was trying to offer you some kind of out. I know that things are a little weird with you and Marisol right now and...” he trailed off, shrugging his shoulders slightly.

Riley watched him shrug his shoulders before she shook her head, shyly tugging her dress a little further down her thighs. “I still want to go” she murmured “I mean, you’re not wrong about things being a little...odd between me and Marisol right now, but it’s nothing that hasn’t happened before. She and Nuno have always had a lot of couple friends that they met when they first got together and I’ve never really fit in with them, but it’s not the first party I’ve been to with them. She’s still my friend, it’s still her birthday, and I think I ought to go, even if it is just for a couple of hours” she added.

Iker nodded. “I’m happy to go with you” he repeated “I just thought I’d offer” he added.

Riley smiled at him. “You’re sweet to” she mused.

Iker let out a slight bashful laugh, his cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink, something which made Riley lean across, brushing a soft kiss against his cheek before she stood up, offering her hand back to him. “Come on” she mused “The sooner we get there, the sooner we can sneak out” she added impishly.

Iker lifted an amused eyebrow. “Sneak out of Marisol’s party?” he played along “You wouldn’t dare” he chirped.

Riley giggled. “Just watch me” she quipped, stealing a quick kiss before she walked away from him.

~#~
“So, I heard that you’re an aunt again”

Riley, who’d been swirling the last of her drink around the bottom of her glass, glanced up at the sound of Marisol’s voice, offering her a slightly forced smile. She knew that it wasn’t Marisol’s fault, with an apartment full of guests all celebrating her birthday, Riley knew that she couldn’t blame Marisol for being distracted, but still she felt a little out of place. She hardly knew anyone, aside from Marisol, Nuno, Iker and Marisol’s sisters, the room seemed to be filled with strangers, and whilst it wasn’t first, Riley couldn’t shake the bad feeling in her stomach, more and more worried that she and Marisol’s growing apart wasn’t likely to be temporary.

“I am” Riley replied “Eva and Garrett had a little boy a few weeks ago. Theo” she added, moving to show her friend a picture of her with the newborn.

Marisol smiled gently. “He’s gorgeous” she cooed.

Riley nodded. “Isn’t he?” she asked.

Marisol opened her mouth to say something more, but was cut off by someone calling her name, something which caused her to flash Riley a small apologetic smile. “Sorry” she murmured “We will catch up before this party is over, OK?” she insisted, already partially turning to walk away.

Riley nodded. “Sure” she mumbled quietly.

Marisol flashed her another quick smile before she walked away, something which caused Riley to sigh quietly to herself before she looked around the room, her eyes landing on the door which led out towards the balcony. Hesitating for a moment, she scouted around to make sure that no one was watching her before she made her way towards it, slipping outside. Pulling the door closed behind her, she took in a shaky breath before she turned away, stepping up towards the railing where she set her arms down, resting it against it.

Closing her eyes, she took in another deep breath before she felt something touch her stomach, causing her to startle a little before she glanced down, relaxing a little as she recognized Iker’s watch. “I thought you were busy with Nuno” she mumbled quietly.

Iker, who’d rested his chin against her shoulder, shrugged. “I was” he noted “But when your girlfriend sneaks out of a party, you’d be a terrible boyfriend not to at least check on her” he added.

Riley smiled halfheartedly. “You saw that?” she asked.

Iker dipped his head forwards, kissing her shoulder gently. “Are you OK?” he asked quietly.

Riley closed her eyes again before she let out a soft sigh. “I saw it coming” she mumbled “I mean, she and Nuno...they’re married now and they’re thinking of buying a house and starting a family, whilst I am...I’ve been pretty consumed by us, it was inevitable that we’d both let things slip a bit after the wedding, I guess I just didn’t anticipate how much it would change. I felt overwhelmed by how out of place I seemed in there” she added, her fingers messing with Iker’s gently.

Iker kissed her shoulder again before he kissed the side of her neck. “I don’t know what to tell you” he mumbled against her skin.

Riley shook her head. “There’s not much to say” she mused “We’re just in two different parts of our lives now. Marisol’s married, she could be a mother before the year is out, and I am...we’re still getting to know one another, we’re still in the honeymoon phase. I guess I just wasn’t expecting the change to be so big” she added, letting out a shaky laugh.

Iker sighed quietly, his arms squeezing her waist gently.

Riley relaxed into his embrace, allowing a few moments of silence to pass between them, before she turned around, gently hooking her arms behind his neck. “You know something?” she murmured.

“What?” Iker replied, lifting one hand away from her waist to push her hair out of her eyes.

“It’s almost been a year since we met” Riley mused.

Iker quirked a soft smile. “Yeah?” he prodded “It feels like just yesterday” he added.

“Really?” Riley noted “Because for me, it’s hard to believe that I have only had you in my life for one year, not like five” she added.

Iker gently cupped her cheek, his thumb tenderly tracing the line of her jaw before he leant forwards, kissing her sweetly. “I’m glad to be in your life, Riley” he mumbled gently.

Riley couldn’t have stopped the small smile that grew across her face even if she had wanted to.

Iker’s face lit up at the sight of her smile before he leant forwards, kissing her lightly again. “I’m glad to be your boyfriend” he mumbled between kisses “I’m glad to be your friend. I’m glad that I met you” he added.

Riley, who’d started to play with the bottom of his shirt in her hands, let him kiss her lips a couple more times before she grinned up at him. “I love you” she cooed softly. Things were different, between her and Marisol, things had changed since the blonde and Nuno had gotten married, but if there was anything good to come out of the change, it was Riley meeting Iker. He was easily the best silver lining to her and Marisol growing apart.

Iker kissed her again, soft and slow. “I love you too” he muttered in reply.

Riley tightened her arms a little, hugging him tightly as Iker pressed a couple of soft kisses into her hair. “I’m glad I met you too” she whispered just loud enough for him to hear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)