There Was You

63: I Really Did

Watching as the second hand ticked its way slowly around the clock face, Riley shifted a little in her seat, her hands fidgeting with the folder which she clutched in her hands. It wasn’t the first time that she had been sat there, with her and Iker having made their first visit to their midwife a few weeks previous, that morning was their second appointment, but despite knowing the woman who was soon come and collect her from the waiting room, Riley couldn’t shift her nerves, apprehensive about what the first ultrasound would be like. She knew that things were going well, Alma, who both she and Iker had instantly warmed to, had been quick to insist that all the tests that they had done at the first appointment indicated that things were fine, but still she felt nervous.

Staring at the clock, she started to bounce her leg apprehensively before she felt a hand settle against her knee, causing her to turn her head slightly, her grey eyes mirroring Iker’s darker ones. Holding his stare, she felt her cheeks warm up a little before she shook her head, breathing out a shaky laugh. “I was fidgeting again, wasn’t I?” she asked, her eyes fixed on her lap.

“You’ve not stopped fidgeting since we got up this morning” Iker pointed out impishly.

Riley rolled her eyes, but didn’t reply, something which caused Iker to shift his thumb, brushing it back and forwards over the inside of her knee. “You know that today is supposed to be exciting, don’t you?” he asked, his voice caught between soft and playful “I mean, it wouldn’t hurt you to smile, Ry” he added.

Riley’s lips quirked upwards slightly despite herself, something which made Iker feign a playful gasp. “Look at that” he quipped.

Riley rolled her eyes, trying, and failing, not to laugh at his teasing. “How are you this chipper at nine in the morning?” she asked.

Iker just shrugged, grinning.

Riley opened her mouth, preparing to make another comment, but stopped herself, her eyes landing on Alma who stood ahead of them, a pleasant smile on her face. “I’m not interrupting, am I?” she asked.

Iker shook his head. “Not at all” he mused “It’s good to see you again, Alma” he added.

“And you, Iker” Alma replied “Now, if you’d just follow me, we can get started. You two must be excited” she added, gesturing to a consultation room which stood a little away from.

Riley hesitated for a fraction of a second, something Iker seemed to notice as he moved to stand up. Quirking a little smile, he gently knotted their fingers together before he tugged her to her feet, squeezing her hand softly. Riley glanced down at their hands, a faint smile tugging the corner of her mouth upwards, before she squeezed his hand back, following him as he walked after Alma.

Alma held the door open for the two of them, watching them inside, before she offered Riley a seat on the bed. “If you could just get up here, Riley, and move your shirt out of the way. We’ll get started” she mused warmly.

Riley blinked a couple of times before she nodded. Clambering up onto the bed, she leant back slightly before she reached for the bottom of her blouse, pulling it up away from her stomach.

Iker, who’d moved to stand behind the bed, watched her pull her shirt up before he let out a soft laugh, something which caused Riley to tilt her head back, her forehead furrowing as she looked up at him. “What are you laughing at?” she asked.

“I’m not laughing ‘at’ anything” Iker replied “It’s just...you’ve got a little bit of a bump. It surprised me. It looks good” he added, his cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Riley’s expression softened a little as she watched the pink climb up his cheeks before she felt something touch her stomach, causing her to jump before she turned around, glancing at Alma who sat next to her, smiling sheepishly. “Sorry” she apologized gently “It’s a little cold and I should have warned you” she added.

Riley nodded her head stiffly. “It’s OK” she mused.

Alma flashed her another small, apologetic smile before she turned back towards her stomach. Gently nudging the bottom of Riley’s blouse a little higher up, she squeezed a little gel over the bare skin before she collected the scanner, tracing it back and forth.

Iker and Riley watched the screen, holding their breaths for what felt like minutes before Alma’s face lit up, a clear thumping sound filling the air around them. “Found it” she enthused.

“Is it OK?” Riley pressed, glancing at their midwife “I mean, does it sound normal?” she added.

Alma didn’t hesitate in nodding, a comforting smile on her lips. “It sounds perfect, Riley” she cooed.

Riley made a soft sound in relief before she turned back towards the screen, her grey eyes misting over.

Iker, who’d pulled his eyes away from the image, watched her expression soften before he dipped forwards, kissing the top of her head softly. “You Ok?” he mumbled into her hair.

Riley nodded. “Yeah” she breathed out, her voice shaking a little “You?” she asked.

Iker grinned into her hair, not missing the little quiver her voice had given. “I’m amazing” he mumbled.

Riley leant her head back, glancing up at him with a tearful smile. “You really did get me pregnant” she quipped.

Iker laughed loudly before he shook his head, offering a slightly apologetic look to Alma. “Yeah” he mumbled “I really did” he added, diverting his eyes back towards the screen.

Riley watched him, seeing the way his eyes softened when he looked at the image on the screen, before she turned back to the screen herself, her stomach flipping a little as her eyes landed on the blurry outline of their baby, a sight which had a wide smile itching to grow across her face. Chewing on her lip, she marveled at the screen for a few moments before she felt another kiss drop against the top of her head, something which caused her to reach her hand up, wrapping it around Iker’s which rested on her shoulder.

Iker smiled into her hair, his hand squeezing hers tightly. “Say hola to baby, Ry” he cooed.

Riley’s grin grew. “Hola, baby” she whispered gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comments :)