Status: If well received, I'll continue with this story. So far I only have the first four chapters so if you like it, please let me know!

Unlikely Friends

Chapter 1

It was just another call like any other I usually had on my radio show. A typical Tuesday morning problem looking for a simply blunt solution. That’s why people come to me for advice, after all. I only speak the truth; no BS.

“Good morning, Pittsburgh,” I began, “You’re listening to ‘Real Talk with Liz’ on 104.8 Who do we have on the line, Jess?” I asked, turning my attention to my assistant behind the glass of my dimly-lit studio. The gray room was small, but felt larger with the windowed-wall down the center, revealing Jessica, my assistant, on the other side.

“On line one we have Cecilia who’s working alongside an ex-best friend.”

“Okay Cecilia, you’re on the air. How can I help?”

On the other end of the line was the soft voice of a young woman. “Thanks, Liz. So I’ve been working this office job for over a year now and I love it, but recently they just hired a new employee who happens to be someone I had a fight with five years ago. Now I have to train her, but the tension is killing me. I know she remembers me but neither of us have addressed the elephant in the room.”

“Well, this seems like a pretty simple solution, Cecilia. You have to talk it out with her. If she’s not going to do it, you’re gonna have to take the first step. Acknowledge that the two of you had problems in the past and tell her that you’re willing to put it behind you if you focus on the good of the company. You don’t have to be friends again, but you can’t be dancing around this issue if it’s interfering with the comfort of your work environment. You’re both adults now, and it’s been five years. It’s time to let go of the grudge.”

Without waiting for a response, I dropped the call. I always do that. Nonsensical back and forth discussions don’t make ratings. Besides, nothing she could have said would have changed my mind about my response.

“Who’s next?”

“On line two we have Bennett. He has something to say about your last call.”

Okay, some arrogant jerk-off who wants to explain to me why I’m wrong. Could be interesting. Without hesitation, I put him through.

“Okay, who is it you’re still whining about from five years ago?” I asked him with an amused roll of my eyes. I rarely received calls from men on my show. Most men don’t seem to give a rat’s ass what a woman has to say. Probably why men don’t think before they act. Tapping my fingers quietly against my desk, I anticipated his answer.

“Nobody I’m whining about. She’s been whining about me.” he began, “For fifteen years! So, what do you think? Ready to let go of the grudge, Liz?”

My morning coffee began to bubble in my stomach at the sound of that familiar voice. It was him. Bennett Strawll. If his voice wasn’t enough to give it away, his mention of my fifteen-year-long grudge certainly was. I would have cut the call, but I was too stunned to do so. However, my second of silence was long enough to get Bennett to fill the dead air.

“Come on, Liz. You know it’s me. You can’t very well expect your callers to take advice that you won’t take yourself. Get coffee with me. I’ll be at the Carnegie Cafe on Forbes Avenue at noon for my lunch break. Meet me there. What do you say?”

Come on, Liz. Cut the call. I thought. But I couldn’t. Maybe I missed the sound of his voice after all these years. Could it be that I wanted to get coffee with him after all? Nah. I just knew the drama would be good for ratings. With so many thoughts running through my mind, I hadn’t realized I never actually answered him until Jess replied, “Elizabeth Ritchie can’t let her callers know where she’ll be and when. There are crazy people out there!”

Without missing a beat, Bennett countered, “Well, that’s the great thing about having a radio show. You have all the fame, but nobody knows what you look like!”

Now Jess turned her intrigued gaze to me. She could have dropped the call, but I knew Jess was eagerly waiting for my usual witty response. However, for the first time in a while, I had no immediate-response. It didn’t matter either way, because Bennett was quick to continue with his offer.

“Either way, I’ll be there at noon, Liz. Hope you come see me. It’d be great to see you again.” And with that, I could hear the dial tone. At least it relieved me from the unnerving encounter.

I cleared my throat, but I forgot to press the cough button on my panel. Regardless, I tried to continue my show as if nothing had happened.

“Who’s our next caller?”

Jess smoothed her hair behind her ear and spoke calmly into the microphone, “On line one we have Naomi who is wondering if she should date her sister’s ex.”

“Okay, Naomi. You’re on the air.”

“Well, I was gonna talk about my sister, but now I’m curious. Are you going to get coffee with that Bennett guy?”

“No, Naomi. I don’t date my callers,” I replied, letting out air through my nostrils. “Besides, I’m attached.” I said, looking at my ring finger and pondering the rock that might one day reside there.

“But it isn’t really a date. You guys are just catching up. What about what you said about ‘letting go of the grudge’?”

“I don’t have to listen to this. I’m not going and that’s my decision.” I said before dropping the call, “Who’s next?”

Jess was watching me with her polished fingernails lightly pressed against the ear of her headset. With a sly grin forming at the corner of her lips she responded, “Next we have Natasha, who thinks you’re a hypocrite.”

Needless to say, I didn’t bother putting that call through.

“Listen. I am not going to be bullied into doing something I am clearly uncomfortable with. Now, is there anyone who wants to call in to talk about anything else other than Bennett?”

I waited and looked to Jess, who shook her head to indicate nobody was on any of the lines. Dead air was terrible for radio. I had to do something.

“Alright. Fine. I’ll meet you, Bennett.” I said grudgingly. After which, the calls returned at their normal rate.