It Happened One Night

It happened One night

Sherrie dragged her tired body into the house after work that night, grateful that Martah was cooking. She thanked God that it was Friday and she didn’t have to think about work for the next two days. But a decision about her dad needed to be made. She dreaded it. She needed to talk to Max and get his opinion on it.
She turned just as he walked in the door. He had looked good this morning, but tonight with his suit on, tie tugged off and the top button undone she found him entirely to sexy. “I’m going to change. Can we talk after the girls are in bed?”
“Sure.” He said, smiling down at her.
She smiled weakly at him and headed for the stairs. Maybe a hot shower would help her perk up a bit.
Her room was her sanctuary. Painted in a light lavender, it was very soothing on her ragged nerves. She imagined a fire in the fireplace, the white a nice contrast for the lavender walls. She couldn’t decide if she wanted to lay down in the sleigh bed Max bought her or curl up with some pillows on the window seat. She contemplated both.
Instead, she stepped into the sunny yellow bathroom that charged her energies every morning. She removed her dress and stepped into the shower. Originally it had just been a gorgeous claw foot bath tub, but max had added the shower for her. She hadn’t taken a bath since she was thirteen and her dad came to her for the first time.
She made her mind go blank and let the water run over her body. She didn’t think about her problem with her dad, her attraction to Max, or why Hayleigh was having issues in the morning. She just felt the water and the warmth.
Fifteen minutes later, as the water started to cool, she stepped out of the shower. Wrapping her self in a big, fluffy towel and one wrapped around her hair she went back to her room. She wandered to her dresser and pulled out purple sweats and a black t-shirt. She brushed out her curls and headed back down stairs.
Max was in the living room watching the news. She studied him for a moment. His black hair was damop, evidence that he had showered too. He wore a Seahawks t-shirt and black sweats. He was such a handsome man she wasn’t sure why she had never really noticed.
“Hey, where’s Martah?”
He smiled at her as she walked into the room. “She left a note that she was taking the kids out to eat. She said to text her and let her know what we want and she’d pick it up.”
Sherrie sighed deeply. She didn’t want to wait for his sister to get back before eating. She was hungry now. “How bout we just order a pizza? I’m starving.”
“I figured that was what you would say. I ordered it about ten minutes ago. Should be here in about twenty minutes. Didn’t you eat enough at lunch?”
“We went for Chinese and I really didn’t feel up to eating.
You know, we should really hire a cook. You and Martah always get take out.”
“Something to consider, definitely.”
“We’ve been considering it for months. We need to make a decision.” She told him.
“If you want to put an add out there and do the interviews, I’ll tell Martah she needs to chip in for a salary.”
“That sounds good. I need more home cooking. I’ll get on that on Monday.”
“You said you wanted to talk when the girls were in bed. Since they aren’t here you want to talk now.”
She looked at him with fear filled blue eyes. “Um, sure.”
He leaned forward and shut off the tv. “What’s up, Sher?”
“I don’t know where to start.”
“Just jump in at the best place.”
“Ok.” She took a deep, steadying breath. “My dad wants to see me and Celine.”
“What?” he said in disbelief. “Are you thinking about it?”
She lowered her head, not able to look at him. “Yes. He’s dying, Max. I think I’d like to see him one last time and let him see Celine.”
“Well, I’m not letting you go alone that’s for sure.” She looked up, surprise on her face. “What, you really think I’d let you face that monster alone did you?” he said sarcastically.
“Really? I was so worried you wouldn’t come, and we wouldn’t be able to go. I don’t want to face him without you.”
“Of course, I’ll go. We’ll make the arrangements for next weekend. I’ll have Martah watch Hayleigh and we’ll get Celine a portable DVD player for the car.”
She got up and hugged him. “Thank you so much, Max.”
She felt him the length of his body against hers. She quickly pulled away and sat back down. She didn’t want him to know how aroused she was. “Hey, let’s watch Big Bang.”
He looked at her, “Sure.” He turned the TV back on and they settled in to watch the antics of Sheldon and the gang.
The weekend flew by, spending time with the girls and doing household chores. Sherrie said nothing to Celine about going to see her grandfather. Max made the arrangements for a hotel, and they decided to leave from work early Friday and come home Sunday.
Monday morning dawned with a bright sun and a promise of a warm spring day. The drive to the office was uneventful. Sherrie turned on her computer then headed to get a cup of coffee.
“Hey, did you talk to Max?” Luciah asked as Sherrie stepped into the small kitchen.
“I did. We’re leaving Friday.”
“That’s great. But I meant about the other.”
“No, I didn’t. I need to sort out what I’m really feeling first.”
“Well, I hope you don’t wait to long. “
“What does that mean?”
“Look, Sher, he’s already been without a girlfriend for five years. How long can a man wait for someone?”
Sherrie laughed. “He’s not been waiting for me, that’s for sure.”
Luciah gave her a look, a little sympathetic and a little incredulous. “Really? That’s what you think?”
“That’s what I know, Luc. I told him from the very beginning I didn’t want a relationship. I think he’s still not over what his ex did to him.”
Luciah nodded. “Maybe you’re right. Maybe I am. You won’t know until you talk to him.”
A deep sigh escaped Sherrie. Why was Luciah pushing so hard? “I’ll think about talking to him. But, first, I need to get through this weekend. Thankfully, Martah is keeping Hayleigh.”
“How’s it going with her?”
“It’s rough. She is constantly getting Celi and Nolee in trouble. We’ve talked to her many times, but it isn’t doing any good.”
“Have you thought about counseling for her?”
“She’s seven, Luc. What would she need counseling for?”
“Hmm, let’s see. She went six months with her mom blocking her from visiting her dad, her mom only sees her when it fits her schedule, and her mom is a user. What did she see in that apartment before Max took her in? What happened to her before he took her in?”
“I hadn’t thought about things happening to her. Ok, I’ll talk to Max and see what he thinks.”
“I’ll get the number for you of a great counseling center. They helped Drake so much after his Dad’s accident.”
“Thanks, Luc.” She said, hugging her best friend. “I got to get back to work.”

Max shut the door behind him, “Hayleigh, come here please.”
He could hear her little feet running down the stairs. “Yes, daddy?” she asked, her blue eyes wide.
“Mr. Kade called me today.”
Her shoulders slumped, and she dropped her head. “He did?” her voice was barely above a whisper.
“He did. Do you know why?”
“One of the girls in classs was giving me a bad time and wouldn’t stop. So, I punched her in the face.” Her tone defiant and her little chin stubbornly set, she looked at him.
Max looked at her. She was such a beautiful little girl with her long strawberry blonde hair, heart shaped face, and big blue eyes identical to his. “What was she giving you a hard time about?”
“That I don’t have a mom.”
“You do have a mom, Leigh. She just can’t be around right now.”
“I know. They said she was probably on drugs and didn’t want me. I told the teacher, but she didn’t make her stop. She just said to ignore her. I tried, Daddy, I really did. But she just wouldn’t stop. Now she will.”
“Well, your teacher was wrong not to make her stop. But violence is not a good answer. I’ll call Mr. Kade in the morning and see what we can do to fix this.”
She hugged him tight. “thank you, Daddy!”