It Happened One Night

chapter 7

Sherrie looked at Max when she came back into the room. He was so handsome with his short cropped black hair, crystal blue eye, and muscular build. She couldn’t take her eyes off of him. He must’ve sensed her watching because he turned and captured her eyes with a look she had never seen before.

“Hey, are you OK?” she questioned him.

His face went blank, unreadable. “Yeah, just an upsetting phone call is all.”

“From who?”

“Doesn’t matter, Sher. Do you want to get the girls and we’ll go grab a bite to eat?”

“Sure. Where are we going?”

“I found a restaurant that’s kind of like a mini amusement park. Reviews say it has great pizza.”

“Pizza? I’m in.”

She got the girls ready to go and they headed off the Playtime Pizza. “We’re headed to the a restaurant. I want to to behave and do what we tell you. This place is supposed to be fun. They have a carousel and roller coaster and other rides for kids your age. You’ll have fun.”

Squeals came from the backseat. “I’m definitely doin the coaster.” From Hayleigh.

Celine piped up. “Are coasters scary?”

“They can be the first time. Are you going to be brave?”

Her little head bobbed, “Imma try, Mommy.”

“Great job.” She praised her daughter. “I can’t wait to see what else they have.”

“Me too!” both girls chirped in excitement.

“It’ll be a few night.” Max said.

They pulled in and headed for the door. Excitement and anticipation fililng all of them. Sherrie was excited to see what happened when they got back to the hotel.

Playtime Pizza was loud with the blaring music, screaming kids, and noisy rides. But They all loved it. “Let’s order pizza and then we’ll get to the fun.” Max told them.

Sherrie took in the sights and smells. The pizza smelled amazing and she couldn’t wait to taste it. Max order for them, then they headed to a booth. He handed the girls each ten tickets and sent them to play. They watched them running and having fun.

“Do you want to talk about earlier?”

Unsure of which incident he was talking about, she hedged. “Not really.” She didn’t either. The dream had been horrific for her. Reliving the nightmare had left her drained. The kiss she just wanted to savory for a bit, enjoy the newness.

“Don’t you think we need to? I was way out of line.”

He was talking about the kiss now, she knew. “We both were. Can we talk about something else please?” She didn’t want an apology and she didn’t want to talk about something so personal at a pizza parlor.

“We need to talk about this.” He was adamant.

She looked at him. She had never lost her temper with him or raised her voice in anger. But she was very close to it now. Firmly she told him, “Max. Now is NOT the time. I need to process things and a restaurant is no place to discuss this.”

“Ok. It has been a hard day.”

“Yes, it has. All I want to do is eat and go back to the hotel and relax.”

“MAybe we should take in the hot tub tonight?

“Now, that sound’s like a plan.”

“Who called, Max?” His face immediately closed up. His shoulders tensed and his eyes burned with anger.

“I told you it doesn’t matter. Please don’t ask again.”

Stunned that he still wouldn’t talk about she questioned him. “We’ve been friends five years. You have never kept anything from me. Why now?”

“I’m still angry from the call. When I can, I’ll talk to you about it.”

She nodded her understanding then laid her hand on his. “Let go catch up with the kids.” Smiling he took her hand and they went searching for the girls. It was a new beginning in a turbulent time.

They let the girls wear themselves out before heading back to the hotel. Max had won small stuffed animals or both girls playing skeeball. On the way back to the hotel Sherrie could see Celine snuggled up with hers as she dozed. They put the girls to bed then called the front desk to send up a babysitter, one of the reasons this hotel had been chosen.

Sherrie and Max changed into their swimsuits and when the babysitter arrived they headed down to the hot tub.

The heat hit her body and she slid into the hot tub. Being surrounded by the heat, Sherrie finally relaxed. It had been a stress filled day, but the warmth of the water, the spray of the jets and Max’s company helped. Alone with Max, Sherrie thought about the kiss they shared. Was now the best time to talk about it?

“The girls sure had a great time tonight.”

“They did. It was a great nigh. Thank you, max, for taking us.”

He looked at her, “Of course. I figured we all needed a break from the day.”

“Shasta called.” He said abruptly.

Now was not the time to bring up the kiss. Anxiety filled her when he said his ex’s name. “What did she want?”

His face was a mask of anger, “She wants to see Hayleigh. I said no.”

“She hasn’t been around in six months. Why does she want to see Leigh now?”

“She says she’s been clean a month and wants to see her. I will not have her around Leigh. I need you to call our attorney first thing Monday morning. Whichever one you think is best.”

“I’ll call Alex Hawke first thing.”

He grasped her hand resting in the hot water,”Thank you, Sher. For supporting me.”

“Of course, Max. I love Hayleigh too and I’ll do what I can to protect her.”

“You know I appreciate everything you do for her, right?”

“Yes. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
♠ ♠ ♠
please remember this is only the first draft.