It Happened One Night

chapter 9

Sherrie stood leaning against the doorway to Max’s office, “Do you think we can talk sometime tonight?”

His hand went straight to his heart. “You scared the crap out of me, Sher.”

“Sorry. I didn’t realize you didn’t hear me.”

“I didn’t, but I’m so deep into this house search for the Montgomery’s that I don’t think I’d have heard a train going through here.”

“Whats the issue?”

“They want a six bed four bath house. I’ve found a few but not in the area they want. Where they were looking the biggest is a five/three.”

“You’ll figure it out. You always do.”

“Thanks for that, Sher. You’ve always believed in me. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if we can talk now that the kids are in bed.”

“It’s that late already?”

“Yeah, you missed dinner.”

“Come on. I’ll go eat and then we can talk.”

Walking to the kitchen she felt his hand brush her back for just an instant. Then, as if he felt uneasy about it, the hand dropped. This wasn’t going to work if he wasn’t sure of himself. She felt like she was drowning in this situation and had no clue what to do.

Settled at the kitchen table with his dinner and a cup of coffee, they sat in silence for a moment.

“What did you want to talk about?”

He sure wasn’t very helpful. “About what happened at the hotel.” She blurted quickly, stringing her word together.

“What about it?”

“What does it mean, Max. Where do we go from here?”

“I thought I was clear about where this was going.” Frown lines appeared between his eyes as he thought over the weekend.

“Not for me. Maybe for another girl but, remember, my experience is next to nothing.”

He took her hand, holding it gently in his. “Here it is. I want to start a real relationship with you, Sher. I want to move forward with a future that ends up with us together always. I don’t want to sleep with you unless I marry you. I want to be able to hold you in the evening and talk. I want all of you, Sherrie.”

“I want that too, Max. But I am scared. Scared of losing your friendship,, scared of losing everything we have. Because without you by my side, I’m lost.”

He stood up, pulling her to her feet. He embraced her in a light hug, kissing the top of her head. “You are so special to me, Sher. I won’t do anything to risk losing you. If that means we go slow, so be it. If it means we go back to being just friends, well, I’ll handle it. But, I will always, always be here for you.”

She hugged him tight. “Thanks, Max. How bout we just go slow. After this weekend I can’t go back to being just friends.”

“How about we start by you meeting Jaiden?”

“I have, silly. When he comes to the office to meet with you.”

He grinned at her, “I mean, socially. Let’s go out with him and his wife. Like a double date.”

“Need help to keep me off of you huh?”

Stunned he just looked at her. “I have never heard you talk like this.”

“Well, I’ve got to learn how to talk sexy to my man and who else do I practice on, some stranger?”

He laughed, joy in his heart, “No talk sexy to me anyway anytime you want.”

“OK, then, wanna go cuddle on the couch?”

“Yes, but let me finish eating.”

They sat down again and continued talking about work as he ate his meal.

Shasta sat in a vacant building with three other people. “I just don’t understand why he wont let me see her now.”

“He’s being a controlling jerk,” Came from Donny.

“Shasta, he’s protecting your daughter. Stay clean and see her.” From Heather. She also had a daughter, but had given custody to her parents. She rarely saw the three year old little girl.

I agree with Donny,” came from Mark, who sat next to her and held the meth pipe. “Wanna hit?”

“I might as well. I have no reason left to not.”

She hit the pipe. The feeling of relief hit her body and she relaxed. What was one time? Just a little to calm her nerves and let go of what happened today. Being thrown out of Max’s office had been humiliating.

The pipe made it’s way around again. Shasta took another hit and could feel the effects of the drug. She didn’t care anymore. She felt the rapid heartbeat and chose to ignore it. She kept hitting the pipe. Trying to lose herself in the high. Too much, too quickly and Shasta suddenly felt tired. “Hey, y’all I’m going to just lay down for a bit.”

Donny made her a spot on the floor with their coats and covered her with his. “Rest, little bean. It’ll be better tomorrow.”

“I don’t think she should go to sleep. I think maybe we should take her to the hospital.” Heather told the others.

“Right. And how do we get her there?” Mark asked.

“We just call 911.”

“And have them find us here?” From Donny? “We’ll go to jail.”

“Well, I don’t have a warrant. I can stay.”

“Heather she’ll be fine. No need to involve the cops.”

Heather felt her friend. “No she’s hot. We need to call now.”

“HEather,” Mark yelled. “We are not calling 911. Just leave her alone.”

“Come on you two, lets go eat. I can spring for McDonalds.” Donny said

“Alright let’s go.” Mark looked at heather. “You’re coming with me.”

“Don’t I always?” she questioned her husband. She looked back to where Shasta laid on a pile of coats. She worried for her friend but what was she supposed to do?

“Good. Now lets go woman.” Mark pulled her hand and she followed them both outside. She said a little prayer for Shasta, knowing it probably wouldn’t do any good at this point.

The clock chimed eleven as Sherrie headed upstairs to bed. A knock at the door caused her to head to the door. A uniformed officer was not what she had been expecting.

“May I help you?”

“Is this the home of Maxwell Bennett?”

“Yes, it is.”

“Ma’am, could you please get him for me. It’s urgent.”

“Give me a minute to run and get him. Would you like to step inside? It’s cold outside.”

He removed his hat and stepped inside. “Thank you, Ma’am.”

She smiled and went to get Max. Outside his door she hesitated. She hoped he wasn’t asleep. She knocked two quick raps. He answered immediately. “Come in.”

She opened the door and tried to focus on anything but him in his bed, bare chested. Even the smile he sent her was sexy. “Sher, whats up?”

“There’s an officer here to see you.”

“What did you say?” he replied as if he hadn’t heard her right.

“There is a cop downstairs. He said it’s urgent.”

“Do you have any clue what he wants?”

She shook her head. “You get dressed and I’ll go back down.”

Max nodded absently. She knew he was trying to figure out what a cop would want with him.

Back down stairs she let the officer know that Max would be with him soon. The silence was deafening to Sherrie. What could be wrong?

Max came downstairs in jeans and a t-shirt, his hair rumpled from sleep, his eyes tired.

Max shook hands with the officer, “Maxwell Bennett. How can I help you?”

“Sir, could we talk in private?”

Sherrie made a motion to leave but Max grabbed her hand, pulling her to his side. “No, what you say to me you can say to her.”

The officer nodded. “Sir, do you know a Shasta Martin?”

“Yes, that’s my ex-wife.”

“I’m sorry, Sir. Ms. Martin died tonight with a suspected overdose of methamphetamines.”

Sherrie cried. She never had any hard feeling for Shasta. What an awful way to go. Max was standing as stiff as a board beside her, in shock she supposed.

Max cleared his throat. “Thank you officer. Where can I see her?”

“Larry’s mortuary is where they will take her. Will you be claiming the body?”

“Yes. I’ll make the arrangements for her tomorrow. Good evening.” He replied, dismissing himself.

Sherrie walked the officer to the door. “Thank you for coming, even if it was bad news.”

He tipped his hat to her. “I’m sorry, Ma’am.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please rember this is only my first draft