Status: I hope you enjoy the story! It does have aspects of things that have actually happened in my life. I decided to take a non traditional way of telling my life story.

The Meaning of Dreams

Chapter One

Finally, it’s Friday. It feels like this week dragged by. As I walked through my neighborhood, I noticed the leaves on the trees have begun transitioning into their fall colors. Fall has always been by favorite season. It is shows the first signs of the upcoming holidays, Halloween being the best one. I looked at all of the cookie cutter house, each one exactly like the other and my house exactly like them. My neighborhood has always been pretty calm, nothing exciting ever happens here.

I walked closer to my home, closing the distance between me and the big wooden blue door. As I reached for the door knob, dreading dealing with my mom, I sighed. I could smell whatever my mom was cooking from right outside the door. TexMex I think it is today, which is basically a taco lasagna without the lettuce and tomatoes. I opened the door, peaking my head to make sure my puppy, Sully, wasn’t going to try to escape. I rushed to the stairs, hoping nobody heard me come in. All I want to do right now is hang out in my room and not be bothered.

“Oh hey Kylee, how was your day?” I heard my mom say.

Ugh, I was almost upstairs. I rolled my eyes and slowly made my way to the kitchen, throwing my book bag on the couch.

“Hey Mom,” I greeted, sitting at the kitchen table. I could feel her staring at me already.

“How was school?” she asked.

“School is school Mom, not much happened.” I glanced up, seeing her wrap tin foil around the deep dish pan containing the TexMex, then setting it in the oven. She wiped her hands on her jeans and took a seat with me at the table.

“Well, how are your grades?” she inquired.

“I’m not failing anything if that’s what you’re asking.” She sighed and slouched her shoulders.

“Kylee, there is no reason for the attitude. We never talk anymore and I am just trying to have one conversation without you making things so difficult.” Once she started lecturing me I stood up, walking away, wanting to be anywhere but where she was.

“Kylee Anne, do not walk away from me when I am talking to you. What did I do for you to treat me like this.” She stood, visibly frustrated, and then began walking toward me. Again, I rolled my eyes and turned to her.

“I just don’t want to talk about anything Mom. I just want to go to my room and do my own thing. I don’t want to talk about school and I don’t want to deal with being yelled at.” I turned to walk up the stairs, then heard a thud. I looked back and saw my book bag laying on the floor in front of my mom.

“Put your book bag where it belongs Kylee. I’ll call you down when dinner is ready."

Ugh, why does she have to be like that?! I snatched my book bag off of the floor, throwing it over my shoulder and stomping up the stairs, slamming my bedroom door behind me. Finally, I get to relax. I threw my book bag in the corner of my closet, then sat on my bed. Instantly, I feel lighter and calmer. I don’t have to listen to my mother nag me and I don’t have to deal with stupid kids at school. I looked around my room, taking in way the sunlight illuminates my room, making the teal colors of my blankets shine. I looked at myself in the mirror across from my bed and saw how the sunlight make my brown eyes brighten, but also made my frizzy hair very noticeable. I walked to my dresser and grabbed my brush, then began to manipulate my hair back into a ponytail.

As I was making sure that every hair was where it should be, I felt something soft on my feet. After wriggling my toes, I felt something move. I jumped back and let out a small yelp. Looking down I saw my puppy, Sully, waking up from her nap. I giggled to myself, reaching to pick her up. If there is anybody in this house that can make me smile, it’s Sully. She was a small pup, due to grow into a beautiful husky. Her soft fur was scattered with colors of grey, white, and black. Her eyes were the most unique features of hers though. Her left eye was a bright sea foam green, and her right eye was the most beautiful sky blue. She yawned, her little mouth as wide open as she possibly could have it and shook her head, flopping her ears from side to side. I kissed her forehead and hugged her lightly, then set her down on my bed.

I grabbed the TV remote from my night stand and pressed the power button. Immediately, some cooking show lit up the screen. I looked at the stuffed chicken they were preparing. My mouth started watering at the sight of it. The scent of dinner wafted into my room, making my stomach growl. You would think that I’m starved. I guess the less than satisfying school lunch just wasn’t enough for me today. I looked at the clock, seeing that it was only 3:30. Dinner probably wouldn’t be done until closer to 4:00. I sighed, pushing away the hunger in my belly. The last thing I want to do is go downstairs to sneak a quick snack before dinner is ready. I’ve already had enough of my mom today, and that was just in the first five minutes of walking into the house. Just then, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I unlocked it and saw a text from my best friend, Lexi.

“Hey, what are you up to?”

“Nothing really, hiding from my mom. Wishing I wasn’t at home. How about you?”

“Awe, that sucks Ky. I wanted to know if you would want to sleep over tonight. My mom said it’s ok. We can talk and maybe get some of our math homework done!”

I giggled. Lexi has always been the smart one out of the two of us. She is probably the only reason I’m not failing half of my classes.

“Haha, I would love to! I really need to get away from this house. You know I have to ask momzilla first though…”

“Really Ky? Momzilla? Haha! You’re too much! Let me know what happens!”

I threw my phone on the bed and made my way downstairs to ask my mom if I could sleep over at Lexi’s. I crossed my fingers behind my back as I strode toward the kitchen where my mom was. She noticed my arrival and turned her head briefly toward me before looking back down at her phone, her back facing me. Ugh, this is going to suck. I composed myself, getting ready to “act nice”.

“Hey Mom, what are you up to?” I asked with a bit too much enthusiasm in my voice. She didn’t react.

“Um, so when is dinner going to be ready?” I inquired. Still nothing. She just stared at her phone, completely disregarding my existence.

“Ok then,” I mumbled under my breath.

“So, Lexi asked if I can sleep over her house tonight,” I paused, waiting for some type of reaction, but received silence. “Is it ok if I go?” My mom slowly turned to face me, a sarcastic smile on her face as she chuckled.

“You’re kidding me right?” she laughed. I looked down at my hands, avoiding her stare.

“You treat me like crap all week. You fight me on anything and everything. Kylee, you can’t even sit at the damn table with me and have an easy conversation. On top of that, you have to be reminded numerous times to do your chores. What makes you think that I would give you permission for that?” My mother’s voice started sarcastic and ended in full blown yelling.

I kept my eyes down and shrugged my shoulders. I hate her. She chuckled softly and shook her head. My rage began to boil, getting ready to spill over. I bit back angry tears and settled for screaming instead. “I HATE LIVING HERE, I HAVE HOW YOU CONTROL MY LIFE AND I HATE YOU!”

As I turned around to run back to my bed room, I ran into my father, John, who had just walked in the door. I looked up at him, tears welling in my eyes, then stormed around him and up the stairs into my room. After slamming my door as hard as I could I threw myself on the bed and screamed with everything I had into my pillow. Tears began streaming down my face. I pulled out my cell phone and started texting Lexi.

“Oh my god Lexi! I can’t stand my friggen mom!” I screamed into my pillow again.

*Buzz* “Oh no, what happened…”

“I went to ask her if I could sleep over and she said no because of some stupid stuff about not sitting at the table and talking to her. I hate her so much Lex! I don’t care what she says…I’m coming over. I don’t want to be in this stupid house. I’m grabbing my things and coming over…”

“Wait Ky, won’t you get in worse trouble? Maybe you should just stay home… We can try again another day.”

I grunted angrily then text back. “No, I’ll figure it out. I’m coming over I’ll see you in 20 minutes.”

I got up from my bed and began to pace. Sully was sitting on the floor watching me walk back and forth from one end of my room to the other. My mind was battling itself trying to figure out if I should sneak out or not. After a couple minutes of contemplation, I decide to go. Screw this house and screw this family! I grabbed my book bag and threw my pajamas, clothes for tomorrow, and my phone charger in it. I opened my bedroom door, listening to find out where my parents were. I heard my mom yelling. Sounds like she’s in the kitchen.

“I’m at a total loss here! She is out of control! What are we going to do?” I heard them shuffle around as I crept to the top of the stairs.

“Maybe I should talk to her? Maybe I can figure out what’s going through her head.”

“You can try, but I’m just done, John. My patience is wearing thin. I think we may need to put her in therapy.”

After that I blocked out what they were saying. I am not going to therapy, and they can’t make me. I approached the bottom of the stairs and peaking around the corner, checking if my parents were in sight. When I saw that the coast was clear, I silently made my way to the front door, opening it ever so slightly so that I could slip out. Once outside, I closed the door as quietly as I could and then began running to Lexi’s house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think and thoughts on how I can improve the story! I'm always up for suggestions and feedback!!