Status: I hope you enjoy the story! It does have aspects of things that have actually happened in my life. I decided to take a non traditional way of telling my life story.

The Meaning of Dreams

Chapter Two

I ran as fast as I could until my house was out of sight. I slowed to catch my breath, putting my hands on my knees. I didn’t realize how heavy my stupid book bag was. I pulled out my phone once my breathing steadied and texted Lexi.

“I’m on my way. I’ll be there soon.”

After setting my phone to silent I placed my phone back in my pocket, I adjusted my book bag on my shoulders and continued forward. Thankfully, Lexi’s house isn’t too far from mine. It’s in the same neighborhood, just a couple streets down. After about ten minutes of walking, I stepped onto Lexi’s porch. Right as I was about to knock on the front door, it opened and my best friend was standing there. I gave her a weak smile as she let me in the house.

“I better not get in trouble for letting you come over Ky,” she said.

We walked up to her room, which was almost identical to mine, except hers was all purple. She also had a laptop and computer desk. My mom refused to give me my own laptop. She said a phone is a good enough laptop, which really annoys me. I threw my book bag onto the bean bag chair in the corner and plopped onto Lexi’s bed and she sat with me.

“So, what do you want to do?” I asked.

“Well, we are parent free until about 9:45. My mom has to work so we are our own for dinner,” she replied.

“Wow, at least your mom trusts you to stay home alone.”

For the next couple of hours Lexi and I gossiped about the guys at school, went over some math problems on our homework, watched Netflix and just hung out. This was why Lexi was my best friend. I don’t have to worry about anything when we hang out. After a while, I was reminded by my stomach that I was absolutely starving.

“Hey Lex, let’s go find something to eat.” I rubbed my growling belly.

We went downstairs into her kitchen and searched through the fridge and freezer followed by the cabinets. After some contemplation, we decided on making two of the frozen chicken bacon ranch pizzas. We set the timer and went into her living room to watch TV while we waited. Once we heard the ‘ding’ we served ourselves the food.

“Oh my God, this is the best pizza ever,” I mumbled with a full mouth.

“Right? I’m so glad my mom bought these!” We laughed as we ate, enjoying each other’s company.

When we finished eating I looked at the clock, noticing it was already 9 o’clock. I wondered why my phone wasn’t being blown up by my mom and then I remembered.

“Oh crap,” I rushed upstairs to find my phone.

“What is it?” Lex ran after me.

“My phone was on silent this whole time. My parents have probably been spam calling me!” I searched the bed and didn’t find it, then I looked to the floor.

I lifted the bed sheet so see my phone light up, the picture of my mom and me, from our vacation to the beach a couple years back, showing on the screen. I pulled my phone out from under the bed and waiting for her call to go to voicemail. Once that screen disappeared I saw that I had 30 missed calls and 47 unread text messages. Ugh, I’m so screwed. I read through some of the texts from my mom which contained:

“Where did you go?”

“Come home now!”

“You are so grounded!”

“Kylee Anne Bays, if you don’t get your ass home right this minute I swear on my life you’re gonna regret it!”

I also read some from my dad which included:

“Honey, we are worried. Give me a text or call letting us know you’re ok.”

“Kylee, we are really freaking out over here. You can’t just disappear like that”

“Ky, please answer one of us.”

I sighed in frustration, sitting on Lexi’s bed. “What are they saying?” she asked.

“My mom is basically promising my early demise and my dad is worried.”

“Maybe you should let them know you’re here?” I threw myself back on her back and laid down.

“I don’t want to deal with all of that. Hey, we have like 45 minutes until your mom gets home. Let’s do something fun.”

“Yea? Like what?” I smiled slightly, remembering what I had hidden in my book bag. I grabbed my bag and Lexi’s hand and pulled her downstairs and out onto her back porch.

“What are you doing Kylee?”

“Well, I heard that there was a way to relax. Jamie Ludvich hooked me up with some…let’s call it medicine.” I smiled mischievously. Lexi looked baffled until I pulled a little baggie out of my book bag containing the plant.

“Oh no, Ky. I can’t do that!” she yelled and then whispered, “weed is illegal!”

I laughed, “Please Lex, will you try this with me? This is what best friends are for! For us to try new things together. Please Lex? Jamie even gave me this glass thing and told me how to use it!” I pulled out the fragile pipe, “isn’t it pretty?” I asked, showing her the purple, blue and green swirls in the glass.

“Yea, it kind of is.” Lexi took it out of my hand, examining it.
“Don’t you need a lighter for this thing?” she asked.

“Yep, I have one of those too.” I stated excitedly. I pulled out the lighter and gestured to take the bowl back. “Ok, so we have to put the weed into this part here,” I said pointing to the big dip in the top part with a hole in the middle. I opened the baggie and poured the small pieces into the crater, then pushed it down so that it all fit.

“Ok, now what?” Lex asked nervously.

“Well, from what Jamie said, we are supposed to put our finger on this hole here,” I pointed to the hole on the side, “and then light the top and inhale through here,” I pointed to the bigger hole on the opposite side of the crater. “He also said that after to inhale for a couple seconds, to lift your finger on the side hole and hold your breath for five seconds, ok?” I smiled looking up at Lex.

She looked nervous. “We have to do this quick, because my mom is going to be home soon!”

Excitedly, I held the bowl in my left hand, with the lighter in my right. I lifted the bowl to my mouth, covered the hole with my finger, and flicked the lighter. Slowly, I brought the flame to the smelly plant and inhaled. Instantly, I felt a burning in my lungs. I began coughing uncontrollably, a puff of smoke came out of my mouth, and tears welled up in my eyes. I looked over at a concerned Lexi. I pulled myself together, otherwise I knew she wouldn’t try this with me. I smiled at her, holding back my coughing fit and handed her the bowl. Reluctantly, she took it and mimicked the same steps I took, also going into a coughing fit. I took the bowl back from her and took another hit. In the midst of another couching fit, I handed it back to her. I started feeling light headed, my eyes got heavy. I looked over at Lexi who seemed to be in her own world. She slowly looked up at me and the look on her face was absolutely hysterical. I started laughing uncontrollably, unable to speak any coherent words as to why. Lexi began laughing as well, just as hard as I was.
I felt the urge to sit and made my way to a lawn chair on the back porch. I felt as though I was moving in slow motion which ensued yet another laughing fit. Lexi made her way to the seat next to me. I could feel my hands tingling all the way to my finger tips and my arms felt heavy. Most of all, I felt completely and utterly relaxed. I felt as though I didn’t have a care in the world.

I glanced at Lexi, “How are you feeling?” I asked.

She smiled and began giggling. Wow, this feels amazing. After sitting for a while, I felt like I could fall asleep sitting in this lawn chair. I heard an odd sound, kind of like heavy breathing. I glanced at Lexi with a confused look on my face, only to find her hyperventilating.

“Lex, are you ok?” She started to stand but sat back down.

“What’s wrong?” She attempted to speak, but stopped, continuing to breathe quickly.

“Water, I need water.” She spoke softly. Uh oh. “KY I NEED WATER! I’M GOING TO PASS OUT!” she screamed a moment later. I stood up as quickly as my body would allow and the whole room spun.

“WATER!” Lexi screamed.

I regained my balance and made my way to the kitchen, grabbing a glass off the counter by the sink. I reached the fridge and brought my arm up to the water dispenser, pushing the cup to it, still feeling like I’m moving in slow motion.

“HURRY!” I heard from outside. I turned to go back out when I noticed movement in my peripheral vision. I looked to the right and there stood Lexi’s mom, Jenna.

“What’s going on here?” she asked. Oh crap, this isn’t good. My world was still spinning.

“Um,” was all I could say?

“Kylee, are you ok?”

“Um.”

“KYLEE WATER PLEASE!” Lexi screamed desperately.

Lexi’s mom’s eyes widened with concern as she rushed outside to her daughter. I also made my way there, full glass of water in hand. Jenna was kneeling on the ground in front of Lexi, who was gripping the arms of the chair so tightly that her knuckles are white.

“Lex, what’s wrong?!” her mom demanded.

“I’m so sorry mom! I shouldn’t have done it! We shouldn’t have done it!” she cried. Lexi rested her head on Jenna’s shoulder.

“What did you do?” she asked.

“Mom, I can barely see. I don’t know what’s happening,” she took a deep breath, “it’s like I’m in a tunnel and my hearing is muffled. I think I’m going to pass out. I’m scared mom!”

I approached them and handed Lex the glass of water. She took it with shaky hand and carefully took a sip. Tears were streaming down her face.

“Lex I need you to take deep breaths,” Jenna comforted, then turn to me, “Kylee…explanation…NOW!” Jenna demanded, I flinched back.

“We um,” I glanced to the table where the bowl sat next to the lighter and empty baggie. “Um.” Oh my God! Why can I not form full sentences?! “Um.” Lexi’s mom glanced at the table, finally fully realizing the situation.

Lexi began rocking back and forth in her seat, repeating to herself in hushed tones, “I’m going to pass out. I’m going to pass out. I’m going to pass out.”

“Jesus, you have got to be kidding me.” Jenna grabbed the bowl angrily. “THIS,” she yelled waving it in our faces, “is what who did? You girls smoked weed? Where did you even get this?!” She looked back and forth to me and Lexi. “Kylee?”

“Um.”

“STOP SAYING THAT AND GIVE ME A DAMN ANSWER!” she screamed. I jumped back and started crying.

“I-I’m sorry.” I kept my eyes averted from hers. Jenna took out her phone and made a call.

“Hello Katie,” she paused.

“Oh yes, she’s here at my house,” another pause.

“Well, on top of that, she and Lexi were smoking,” pause.

“No, not cigarettes Kate,” I looked up to see her rubbing her temples.

“Ok, I’ll make sure she is ready, bye.” She tossed her phone on the table.

“Kylee, your parents are coming to get you,” she turned to my best friend, “Lex, let’s get you to bed.”

Lexi panicked, “Mom, I can’t move!”

“Yes, you can sweetie. Let’s go.”

She helped Lexi into a standing position. Slowly, Lex began walking into the house, supported by her mom. I followed behind them after grabbing my book bag, then stopped at the staircase. It looked like such a hard climb. Nevertheless, I took each step one at a time. When I made it into Lex’s room, she was already lying in bed.

“What a mess,” Jenna mumbled as she walked passed me.

“I’m so sorry Lex,” I said softly.

She didn’t respond so I walked closer. I then heard her soft snores. Yup, she’s knocked out already. I grabbed my shoes off of the floor next to Lex and put them on then went back downstairs. Shortly after, there was a knock at the door. Here we go. Jenna opened it and the first person I saw was my dad. He walked over to me, bringing me to his chest, hugging me tightly.

“Ky, I was so worried. I’m so happy you’re ok!” I smiled weakly.

Next, I saw my mom standing at the door, refusing to make eye contact with me, arms crossed, and her foot tapping impatiently on the floor.

“Thank you for calling Jenna. I’m so sorry for all of the trouble,” she said.

“Yea, it’s alright. We both have very long conversations to have with our daughters.” My mother nodded her head in agreement.

“Let’s go,” she said.

My dad hung his arm over my shoulder. I appreciated the gesture, but he was weighing me down more than I already felt. I felt like there were cinder blocks attached to my hands and feet. He also had me walking way faster than I thought I could. I finally got to the car and took my place in the back. I fought the urge to lay down on the seat and sleep. Nobody spoke the entire ride. I tried looking out of the window, but it made me dizzy, so I closed my eyes. This made it so much worse. I suddenly felt nauseous and utterly drained. We arrived at home after what felt like an eternity and I slowly shuffled my way into the house. As I shut the front door, I could feel eyes shooting daggers into my soul. I turned to see my parents.

“What the hell were you thinking?!” my mom yelled. I stayed silent.

“Weed Kylee? Are you serious?” I took a deep breath, looking anywhere but my mother’s eyes.

I looked at my dad who had a sympathetic look on his face, then at the clock on the wall behind him which read 10:15pm. I drowned out my mother’s voice, but could still see her lips moving. I looked at the stairs, wishing I could just go to bed. My mother cleared her throat and I snapped my head to her.

“Are you even listening? You know what, I can’t even look at you right now. Get out of my face,” she demanded, disappointment
lacing her words.

She turned her back to me and made her way into the kitchen. I sulked passed my dad, taking my slow walk of shame up the stairs to my room. I shut my door and stood for a moment, just getting the motivation to move to lay down. I slipped off my shoes and crawled under the blankets. Oh my God. I don’t think my bed has ever been this comfortable in my life! I turned off my lamp and closed my eyes. Quickly, I drifted into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Please let me know!