Status: I hope you enjoy the story! It does have aspects of things that have actually happened in my life. I decided to take a non traditional way of telling my life story.

The Meaning of Dreams

Chapter Three

I opened my eyes, noticing I was in a dark room. There was a faint light just ahead of me. I looked around at my surroundings and saw nothing but darkness. What is this, where the hell am I?

I walked toward the light. It began growing brighter and brighter. I held my hand up to shield my eyes. As I got closer, I saw a silhouette of a person approaching. I didn’t feel fear, I felt complete calmness. The closer I got to this mysterious figure, the more I could see a room materializing around me. The walls were a vibrant maroon, decorated with beautiful golden light fixtures. There were paintings of various lakes, meadows, and beaches hung around the room. I looked to the left and saw a white stone fire place with a mantel. On this mantel were picture frames with no pictures in them. I looked to the right and saw an antique couch with floral print covering the entirety of it. The colored of the flowers matched the color of the walls. There was a dark wooden table in front of the couch.

A vase full of the same flowers in the couch pattern sat in the middle of the table. On the wall across from the couch hung a large flat screen TV. The carpet felt soft on my feet as I looked down realizing that I had no shoes or socks on.

When I looked back up there was the old woman standing in front of me, right between the table and the couch. She had long grey hair that reached almost to her elbows. It looked so soft. Her eyes were a beautiful golden brown, but deep as if she had all of the knowledge in the world. She wore a long white gown that touched the floor, hiding her feet. Looking at her, I felt a sense of familiarity. I felt like I knew her from somewhere, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. She smiled sweetly at me and gestured for me to take a seat with her on the couch. I smiled back, making my way over to her. The couch was a bit stuff, but I made myself comfortable.

“Kylee,” the old woman spoke. I looked up at her, curious as to what this wise old woman has to say. “You are so beautiful.” She smiled softly.

I blushed, “Thank you. Who are you?” I inquired.

“Oh love, you will know soon. First, there is something I need to show you.” She gestured over to the TV as it turned on by itself.

I stared deeply into the snowy screen, noticing how slowly, a clear picture began to emerge. I watched as a small girl came into view. She had curly, brown hair that reached her shoulders and bangs that laid right above her big round brown eyes. She wore round glasses and a pink shirt with overall jeans. Her surroundings became clearer and I could see she was in a living room with brown carpets and white walls. She sat on a brown couch next to another little girl. She had blue eyes and short light brown hair. Her face was round with prominent cheek bones. She wore almost the same outfit as the other little girl, except her shirt was green. They both looked to be about 5 years old. They looked at each other smiling and the light haired girl leaned in and whispered something to the other girl. They broke out in a fit of giggles. The curly haired girl then smiled, looking straight at me. It seemed as though she was staring into my soul. I leaned forward, waiting to see what would happen next.

“Are you ready?” the old woman asked.

“Ready for what?”

I felt a slight pull on my chest and looked down. “What’s happening?” I asked, panicked.

I looked at my hand and saw the tips of my fingers begin to turn in some type of dust. This dust start to be sucked toward the TV. Before I knew it, my entire hand had turned to dust and whatever was happening was working its way up my arms, consuming my feet, legs, and torso. I screamed in fear and then everything went dark.

I felt a slight breeze on my skin. I squeezed my eyes shut, scared of what I would see considering my whole body turned into dust. I felt different though. Smaller.

“What are you doing Kay?” I heard a young voice say. I felt movement next to me.

“Nothing Natty, just closing my eyes,” I felt myself say. What in the world is going on?

My eyes opened and I saw the little light haired girl, I guess her name was Natty, sitting in front of me on the brown couch. Natty giggled and hopped off of the couch.

“Where you going Natty?” I again felt myself say.

Involuntarily, I scooted off of the couch as well, following this little girl to the stair case that was behind the wall of where the couch was. Peeking to the left, I saw an archway leading into a kitchen. I saw a bunch of adults sitting at a circular table playing cards. The air looked foggy in that room. I could smell cigarette smoke in the air as well as a smell I’ve recently come in contact with. Wow, they are smoking weed with children around? One of the adults looked up and smiled at me. She, just like the old woman, seemed very familiar. She had the same brown eyes, the same smile. My little hand lifted and waved as I giggled.

“Hi Mommy!” my voice carried across the room.

“Kay, come on!” I heard Natty yell from the top of the steps.

My short legs carried me up the stair case and to the left into a bedroom. The walls were wooden panels and the carpet still brown. There were bunk beds along the left side of the bedroom and a wooden dresser across from it. In the front of the room there was a large toy box with many different items such as Barbie dolls, baby dolls and dress up clothes. There was a little book shelf next to it which held crayons, colored pencils, coloring books, and children books. I sat next to Natty on the floor. My hand moved to pick up a Barbie, and Natty did the same.

Involuntarily, I sat there at played dolls with the light haired girl for what seemed like hours. We, more like they, played games such as house and school. It seemed like Natty and whoever I was, were best friends. I felt like a little kid again. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a smaller girl standing in the hallway. She looked a few years younger than us. Her face almost identically mirrored Natty’s. They had the same cheeks and eyes.

“Hey Nell, do you want to play with us?” I heard myself say. The little girl’s face lit up and she joined us on the floor, grabbing a doll for herself.

“What are you guys doing?” I heard from the door way. There stood an older girl. An older version of the other two younger sisters.

“Playing dolls. Do you want to play with us Nicki?” Natty asked.
Nicki scoffed, “I’m not a baby, and I don’t play baby games. Mom just told me to check on you, so that’s what I’m doing.” She rolled her eyes and walked off. Well, that was rude. Natty shrugged her shoulders and stood up.

“Kay, let’s go outside and play!” she said excitedly.

“Can I come too?” Nell inquired.

“Yea, I guess,” she said to Nell. “But only if you can keep up!”

Natty smiled and waved to me to run downstairs.

My body rushed as fast as it could, putting two feet on each step before going to the next and holding onto the railing, making sure I didn’t fall. We ran through the living room and into the kitchen.

“Hey! No kids aloud remember?” one of the adults said.

“Mom, we are going outside,” Natty said while pushing the screen door open.

I rushed outside after her, being met with yet another set of steps. These ones were wooden, attached to the desk right outside of the kitchen door. I grabbed the railing and again walked down as fast as I could, one step at a time. Three steps from the bottom I heard the kitchen door open.

“Hey guys, wait for me!” Nell started to make her way down behind me.

“Kay! Hurry up! Touch the swing to win!” I looked over at Natty, seeing the fenced in yard with a swing set in the center.

My little legs ran to meet the light haired little girl and I touched the swing. I made it, I won! I could feel the pride and happiness within this little girl I was stuck in the head of.

“Kay, we will always be best friends right?” Natty asked.

“Of course! You’re my first and bestest friend for always!”

I looked at my surrounding and saw that my vision started to dull. I felt like I was being consumed in darkness. I closed my eyes and heard a whooshing sound. The next thing I knew, I was back on the floral couch with the old lady. I looked down at my hand and it was back to normal. I lifted my hand and touched my face, it was back to normal too. I looked at the old lady.

“What was that?! What did you do to me?” I demanded. I glanced at the TV which was covered in static, then it shut off. I turned back to the woman.

“What am I doing here? I want to go home.” I started pacing in the room in front of the fire place.

I looked at the picture frames and saw one of them was changing. I looked closer and saw a picture, of Natty and the little girl I was trapped inside of, appear. They were sitting on the swing set outside, making goofy faces for the camera. I saw Nicki in the background with her arms crossed, barely smiling for the camera, and Nell on the left with her tongue sticking out. What in the world is going on…?

“It’s time to go back now, I’ll see you soon,” the old woman said.

Suddenly, I felt exhausted. My eyes were struggling to stay open. The old woman guided me by my shoulders to the couch and helped me lay down. My eyes fluttered shut almost instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! The first dream! Anytime there is a dream, it is of something that actually happened in my life. I wanted to take a non-traditional approach to incorporating my life into my story. Let me know what you think!