Status: Expect updates 1-2 times a week

What's in the Cards

Prologue

Years ago, in the city of Vesuvia, a young lord killed the old king and took his place. The usurper wasn’t very well-liked, but the old king wasn’t, either, so the change in power was generally disregarded by the people. Besides, the new king was young, handsome, and had a penchant for throwing lavish festivals – so he had some perks, if you could set aside his absolute disregard for the plague that began to ravage the city in his fifth year as ruler. From the stories about him he was very vain and an ass, but those were traits shared by most regicidal rulers, weren’t they?

While the kingdom itself suffered heavily from plague during his reign, the new king of Vesuvia had a relatively long, relatively unremarkable rule – in fact, the most remarkable part of his whole reign was how he died: Three years ago, at one of his own ridiculous festivals, the king was murdered in his own bedroom. The murderer, a doctor in the king’s own court, confessed on the spot – and then fled, never to be found.

Without him, the kingdom… remained pretty much unchanged. As I said, his rule was rather unremarkable. The plague eventually was resolved, and life continued on in Vesuvia.

That was pretty much all I knew about the city when I arrived: some basic history, and that at some point in the last few years, the country had suffered the worst plague in modern history and survived.

As a student of the alchemical medical arts, I was here to learn how they stopped it. That was my first mistake.

My name is Sinclaire, and I am a rank two alchemist from the country of Florens. This is the story of how I got tangled into the biggest mess of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it begins.

The prologue is very short, but I wanted to post it separately from chapter one - but don't worry, chapter one will be posted within the next few days! There's not much to comment on yet, but if you're interested in finding up what happens to Sinclaire in the messy world that we know and love, please subscribe!

Thanks for reading, and see you in chapter one!