Status: Active

Are You Happy?

Dirty Little Secret

“Good to see you again Willow," Mr. Martinez said, as I rang up his groceries.

"Good to see you too. Big order, are your twins back from college?" I asked him.

"Yes ma'am. José and Jesus got back last week and already cleared us out," he chuckled, "we should have you over for dinner sometime. My wife hasn't seen you in a while, and maybe one of my boys will appeal to you. I never thought that stock boy was good enough for you" he winked. I actually liked most of the customers I dealt with but I hated making small talk, especially with the dads who always wanted to set me up with their sons or the mothers wanting to take me shopping. Mr. Martinez was a friend of my parents' though, so I had to be nice.

"Thanks for the offer, I'll have to see when I'm free," I smiled and quickly handed him his receipt so he would leave.

"Well that was obvious." I heard as the next person in line stepped up. It was the peeing guy! "What's the matter Dollface, forget how to talk again?" he smirked, when I didn't answer his comment. He had on a leather jacket over a red shirt from the auto shop across the street. I was still taken back that he was here. All I could think while I was ringing him out was oh my god sorry for walking in on you so I didn't say anything until I had to.

"$12.86 is your total." He paid and gave me a smile before leaving.

“What was that about?” Jason said, coming to the end of my line to bag.

“Nothing just a customer” I said quietly.

“Why’s your face so red?”

“What is with the 20 questions?,” I don’t know why I had an attitude all of a sudden, but he held his hands up in surrender. “I’m taking my 15,” I turned my light off and headed in the break room.

I grabbed a bag of chips from the vending machine and sat at the folding table for a while. I had no reason to be mad at Jason and I felt bad about giving him an attitude. A few minutes into my break he entered the room, sitting across from me.

"What's going on? You okay?"

"I'm fine. Sorry for snapping at you, I'm just a bit flustered today," I apologized.

“Don’t worry about. You just seem off lately. Are we good?”

“Yeah. I’m just in a weird place lately.”

We finished our little talk and went back to work as scheduled. He got off before me and told me to come over when I was done. I went home first to shower and change and headed to his place. His parents weren’t home so we were watching a few movies on the couch instead of hiding out in his room. We’d usually sit next to each and that was about it, but he had one arm around me and the other hand holding mine. It felt foreign, but was still nice.

“It’s Levi” I groaned, pulling the ringing phone out of my pocket. I walked into the other room before answering, “yeah?”

“Hey, you said you were coming out with me next time,” he yelled over the background noise.

“I didn’t really mean that” I sighed, pushing my hand into my forehead for making that stupid promise.

“Nuh-uh, you promised”.

“I’m at Jason’s”.

“So bring him with you. I’ll text you the address.” I could head the smirk in his voice.

“Fine, have a drink ready for me,” I huffed and he laughed before we hung up. “Wanna go to a party?” I fake smiled, sitting back on the couch.

“Uh, I guess, why?”

“Levi,” I said and it was all the explanation I needed.

He had sent me his location and after just a few minutes of driving, I realized the GPS was taking me home.

We had a decent sized house though all the people made it feel small. It took me a few minutes to find Levi, but he was out by the pool with a group of his friends.

“Hey, you made it!”

“I live here,” I rolled my eyes, “you didn’t learn your lesson last time you threw a party?”

“I already warned everyone to stay away from the windows. Relax, drinks are in the kitchen. Go make some friends,” he said before turning back to his previous conversation.

I went back inside to find Jason and he handed me a cup. We didn’t drink all that often and I knew to take it slow but I’d have to keep an eye on Jason. We kept to ourselves for a while but after a few drinks he’d loosened up and decided to go play beer pong by the pool. I sat in the grass sipping on my Jack and Coke, listening to the music and watching the festivities for a bit.

Dirty Little Secret by All American Rejects started playing on the speakers. Emily’s favorite song. I started to miss her again. It seemed like I’d been going longer and longer without thinking about her and I felt guilty. I wished so bad she were here right now, to ask her advice. I poured some of my cup out for her, like they do in the movies, then chuckled at how silly it felt.

“Who’s that for?” I heard as someone say down next to me. The pee guy. I really had to figure out his name if we were gonna keep running into each other.

“My best friend,” I answered, looking into the cup.

“I’m sorry,” he said, pouring some of his cup out too, “to your best friend”.

“Thanks” I said, not sure if that was even the correct response. There was a weird silence before he spoke again.

“So you’re with the bag boy, huh?” I couldn’t help but laugh.

“He’s not just a bag boy, sometimes he’s a stock boy too,” I answered.

“Whatever you say, Dollface,” he chuckled before taking another drink out of his cup.

“Why does it matter to you?” I wondered, “you don’t even know me”.

“You’re right, I don’t. I just think you’re interesting”.

I laughed and shook my head, “I think you’ve had too much to drink. You don’t even know my name, how could I possibly be interesting to you?”

“It’s Willow. And if you’re so uninteresting, prove it,” he smirked, getting up to walk away.

“Wait!” I called and he turned to me, “what’s your name? I still only know you as pee guy,”

He chuckled and said, “Next time we see each other,” before leaving.

Jason was looking more wobbly than usual next to the beer pong table and I figured it was time to get him to bed. I put my arm around his waist and helped him stumble into the house. Once I got him settled into my bed I ventured back into the kitchen to get him some water.

“You having a good time? You looked like you were making friends” Levi said , walking in to pick up some of the empty cups lying around. At least he was being more responsible this time.

“It’s not so bad. Did you see that guy I was talking to earlier? Out by the pool?”

“The one with the leather jacket right?” He answered.

“Yeah! You know him?”

“Not really. I’ve seen him around, given each other rides home but that’s about it, why?” Of course.

“No reason, just wondering” I said and went back to Jason. I put the water on the nightstand next to him and got comfy in bed.

He’d stayed the night only a couple of times before. It was always kind of weird but this felt even more strange. Like he didn’t belong, almost.

Or, like I didn’t belong.