Restless Soul

Restless Soul

The damp mist coated the cemetery like a blanket and caressed my flushed cheeks. I slowly inhaled a deep breath in a failed effort to calm my nerves. The full moon was acting like a spotlight as it shone down on the tombstones; managing to highlight every little detail of the haunting night.

As I stumbled onto a rocky trail leading to the never ending land of nowhere, I felt something ice cold gently brush against my arm. As I spun around on my heels, I could feel my already flushed face drain of all color.

A stalky, almost translucent figure stood before me. His skin was as white and fragile as delicate snowflakes that danced to the ground. His touch was as cold as the bitterness of the wintry wind. The look on his face was sinister and full of apathy as he stared down at me. His ice blue eyes were full of undeniable sadness and hatred that chilled me to the bone.

"Hello," he whispered in an inaudible voice.

Goosebumps erupted all over my body as I stood there dubiously. I barely managed to keep my composure as he held his gaze placidly in all his glowing glory.

"Hi," I managed to whimper out.

When I spoke to him, the desperation in his big blue eyes completely dissolved. His malicious facial features immediately lit up as he proffered me a small smile.

"Dear girl, what are you doing wandering around a cemetery at this time?" He questioned me amiably.

Just like that, my frivolous fears evaporated. I tried to tell myself that I was being presumptuous before, but I knew that whatever was standing before me wasn't human. I hurriedly averted my gaze away from the pale, translucent figure.

"I'm searching for someone," I said in a bold, confident voice.

Silence followed my last statement. He seemed to be staring into the deepest, darkest pits of my soul. The eerie figure slowly started floating closer and closer towards me. A shiver racked through my entire being as I realized that I was staring at a restless soul. I was looking into the dreary eyes of a ghost.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a super duper short story I wrote when I was 15. May actually turn this into a novel one day. Who knows?! :D