Status: Complete

Risk It All

Trouble

"Murphy?" she whispered in shock. "W-what are you doing here?" she questioned as Murphy looked at her uneasy, noticing his twitchy hands. Quite the opposite of the usual calm and put together Murphy that would saunter into the coffee shop, he looked just as lost as she did.

"I umm...wanted ta talk ta ye." he replied lowly.

"About?" Nolee responded with even parts of curiosity and sarcasm. Murphy sighed as he shuffled on his feet.

"Well I am...I wanted ta say t'at...I'm sorry for..." the Irish man was fumbling on his words horribly and Nolee furrowed her eyebrows noting his face turning redder and redder. "Oh fuck it." he huffed before suddenly pulling Nolee forwards and pushing his lips against hers. Nolee's eyes widened enormously at the intrusion. But feeling his soft lips again and the way his hands held her hips tenderly had prevented her from pulling away at first. Seeing the light this time, Nolee found the strength to push his body away from hers.

"Murphy what the hell?" she gasped in shock.

"Look I'm not ta greatest when it comes ta stuff like t'is okay?" Murphy replied. "I'm sorry I walked off ta other night, obviously it took me by surprise."

"Fair enough." Nolee responded quietly.

"And I also wanted ta say...that I don't care. It doesn't bother me." he added shrugging. Nolee stood frozen understanding what he meant.

"It-it doesn't?" she stuttered still speechless.

"No, it doesn't." Murphy confirmed shaking his head.

"But...why?" she asked confused. Wasn't it funny how you could want certain things so badly and when they stare you right in the face, you have no absolutely no idea what to do with it?

"I don't know why okay? I don't know what's going on wit' me. But it seems like ever since we crossed paths I can't seem ta get ye off me mind, it's like I'm drawn to ye."

"Murphy I don't think you realize how serious this situation is-"

"It doesn't matter." Murphy reiterated more firmly. "It's not gonna keep me away." he added slowly reaching out to place his hand on her stomach. Nolee shivered at the warm touch and stared at him incredulously. Hating how his touch had seemed to feel right, how his presence in general affected her like this.

"This is crazy." she whispered once more in disbelief as her mind battled with her heart. All of this was absurd that was very obvious.

"It is crazy." Murphy nodded in mutual agreement.

"How can I trust you?" she questioned the part of her that was fearful at the thought of letting someone in.

"I'm not runnin' for ta hills here what does t'at tell ye." he attempted to joke but she only frowned.

"That's not comforting at all Murphy." she replied as he sighed.

"Then ye just gonna have ta find a way lass, cause I'm not goin' anywhere." he stubbornly answered but smiled. Nolee swallowed the lump in her throat as he still kept his hand on her stomach. It scared the shit out of her to feel flutters in her stomach, but this time it wasn't from the baby.

"What we're doing is crazy." she reiterated to him, mentally going through the millions ways why it was, but her moral compass was cracking by the second at the Irishman's smile.

"T'en I guess we'll be crazy together."

____

And just like that the peculiar mint smelling tattooed Irish man with a rosary had went from temporary piece of furniture to semi permanent. Nolee was front and center but still felt like she was watching from the sidelines as her and Murphy unfolded. It was frightening and intriguing all at once to see another person inside of her apartment. The rest of the evening had pretty much involved her and Murphy bantering on about random things. Nolee still felt bad she basically bailed on girls night with Kira though.

"Umm hello, where are you...?" an annoyed Kira spoke over the phone as Nolee shuffled on her feet.

"Yeah about that..."

"Are you seriously skipping out on me?"

"I'm really sorry Kira...but it appears something has come up..." Nolee replied as she peeked her head out the kitchen at Murphy who was watching Law and Order.

"Oh really? What's so important about missing girls night with ME? I swear it better be because Freddie Prinze Jr is naked at your doorstep wearing only cowboy boots and holding a puppy."

"What honestly goes through your head?" Nolee questioned worriedly.

"You don't want to know, and hey! I'm not the one on trial here, answer my question woman!"

"Murphy-showed-up-at-my-door-step-and-basically-he's-okay-with-me-being-pregnant-so-now-he's-in-my-apartment." Nolee rambled quickly.

"Wait what the hell?!" Kira shouted as Nolee winced over the phone.

"I gotta go, I'll tell you everything later," Nolee assured.

"You're really gonna make me wait and suffer for details you heartless bitch?" Kira cried dramatically as Nolee rolled her eyes.

"I'll tell you all of it later I promise okay?! I love you, bye." Nolee huffed before hanging the phone back up on the wall.

"God that girl," she mumbled to herself unaware that Murphy's tall frame had appeared behind her.

"Ye got any other foods in here besides t'is healthy shit lass?" Murphy remarked looking into her fridge in distaste.

"What, does this differ greatly from your diet of peanuts and beer from the bar?" Nolee retorted.

"Wow, pretty bold of ye to assume t'at...but ye."

"Fine, we can order some take out."


Leading her back to now as the pair sat on her small couch eating chinese food, which turned out to be their first argument already. Murphy wanted pizza and she wanted the latter. It was today that Murphy learned the hard way that the "I'm currently growing eyeballs, what's your special power?" excuse would always triumph. Aside from that Nolee felt strangely comfortable with him beside her as they continued to joke around.

"This is still ludicrous you know, I still don't even know much about you." Nolee noted as Murphy laughed a bit.

"I'll tell ye anythin' you want te know." he smirked.

"Well for starters, I don't even know your last name." Nolee pointed out.

"It's MacManus lass." Murphy replied amused at her banter. "And yours?"

"It's Wade."

"Nolee Wade...a beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

"Don't try to charm me mister, I'm trying to grill you here."

"Now ye decide ta ask me questions? After ye already let me into ye apartment?" Murphy scoffed.

"Cooperate. Now have you ever been in trouble with the law?"

"Just a couple times back in Ireland when me and Connor were dumb young lads, nothin' too serious tho."

"Okay...ever did drugs?"

"Never, t'ink it's disgutin.'

"Got any aspirations or goals?"

"Just ta be a decent human being and make Connor's life hell."

"Alrighty...how many girlfriends have you had?" Nolee inquired curiously.

"Three in me life so far, and why do ye get to ask ta questions? What about me?" Murphy challenged.

"Well what do you want to know?" Nolee asked nervously.

"Ye got any family back home?"

"Not really."

"What about ye parents? They okay with ye livin' here alone in Boston?" Murphy asked taking a bite of his food while she fidgeted in her seat thrown off by the question. A knot in her stomach formed in debate if she wanted to answer.

"My dad wasn't around much and my mom...she died when I was younger." Nolee replied gently.

"I'm sorry lass." Murphy whispered embarrassed.

"It's okay." she shrugged. "It was a long time ago."

"Is it too soon to ask what happened with ye ex?" Murphy pondered and Nolee could see he was being careful about it. She did her best to not show the nausea now spreading through her, regretting deciding to ask him questions.

"Very soon." she answered shortly. Murphy held up his hands in surrender.

"I gotcha." he whispered noting the change in her. "How about t'is, we'll each ask a question and we'll answer at ta same time." he added in attempt to lighten the mood.

"Fine, fair enough." Nolee answered softly as Murphy smiled.

"Ye favorite color?" Murphy asked.

"Lilac." "Gray." they both said.

"Your birthday?" Nolee questioned.

"August 13th." "June 25th, I came out first I swear."

"Ye favorite movie?"

"Steel Magnolias." "Ghostbusters."

"Cats or dogs?"

"Cats." "Both."

"Pancakes or waffles?"

"Waffles.""Pancakes."

"Mm, I'm afraid that's strike one lass." Murphy frowned as Nolee scoffed.

"Really? Waffles are waaaay better than pancakes."

"Not even close but ye can dream."

"Whatever."

"A food you would never eat?"

"Black licorice" "Anchovies"

"Now ye just bein' disrespectful." Murphy lamented as Nolee gagged.

"It's so gross, how do you like that?"

"It's delicious are ye mad?"

"No, I actually just have taste."

"Ouch, ye breakin' me heart lass."

___

As the random questions continued on, the more Nolee and Murphy clashed on the answers, causing both to realize they may have just met their match in stubbornness.

"Alright, what's ye favorite candy?"

"Payday." they both said in unison, surprise and amusement spread onto both their faces.

"Well finally sometin' we agree on."

"Figures it's only on candy." Nolee retorted as they both laid back on the couch.

"Can I ask ye a serious question? This may be a deal breaker though..." Murphy inquired as he took her hand gently. Nolee looked at him nervously but nodded. He leaned in closer to her face and her brown eyes stared directly at his icy blues. She shivered slightly in anticipation.

"Are ye against pineapple on pizza?" he whispered.

"Yes...?" Nolee answered confused as Murphy sighed in relief.

"Alright good, ye passed ta test lass. I'll stay."

"Really? That was your major question for me to decide if you want to be involved with me? Nothing more in depth?" Nolee retorted in astonishment.

"What I needed ta make sure ye aren't some sicko. Can't trust some people nowadays Miss Wade."

"Oh my god."

"What?"

"I think I'm starting to regret this."

"Oh ye?" Murphy replied raising an eyebrow before grabbing Nolee by the chin gently and kissing her sweetly.

'Goddamn it.' she scolded herself. 'How did he get me again?' she thought as he pulled away.

"Still feel ta same?" he asked smirk still in place.

"That's not going to work all the time you know..." she whispered shakily.

"We'll see about t'at won't we?" he winked before shifting himself on the couch so that he was able to wrap his arms around the small girl and her head leaned against his chest. The action surprised her and temporarily her guard flared up, but when he only sighed comfortably and nothing more, she was able to relax at his touch.

"So...how far along are you exactly?" he asked curiously while she did the math in her head, never quite remembering it on cue.

"Umm...5 months now. They say I'm due first week of March."

"Do ye know what ye havin?"

"Not yet."

"Any preference?"

"Doesn't matter to me, just healthy."

"Good answer."

"That reminds me," Nolee whispered to herself. "I have my doctor's appointment coming up soon...I'm supposed to be able to find out the gender. I'm a little scared though, do you think...you could come with me? Just for a little support, Kira might not be able to get the time off, but I mean you don't have to if you don't-"

"Hey," Murphy interjected her rambling as she stopped and looked at him.

"Of course I will." he assured her and touched her cheek with his thumb as she blushed.

"Thank you." she replied sincerely.

"Don't have ta thank me love." he answered kindly before looking at the clock on the wall. "It's pretty late tho, maybe I should get goin' before Connor has a cow." he sighed as he stood up. Nolee frowned a bit to see him go but nodded in understanding.

"I'll call you later tho?" he said sliding his black coat on.

"Yeah sure." she answered standing up to walk him to the door. When they reached it, Murphy turned to kiss her once again catching her off guard.

"Goodnight lass, sweet dreams." he whispered into her ear while she did her best not to shiver at the sensation. "You too wee little one," he added rubbing his hand on her stomach lightly before pulling away, missing the kick that was shortly delivered after.

"Goodnight." she told him shyly. He waved goodbye and Nolee watched him disappear out of the building. She walked back inside and slowly closed the door, exhaling a deep breath as she tried to process all that just occured. These curveballs were making it hard to catch her breath.

"Man oh man," she whispered putting a hand on her stomach. Her mind instantly shifting back to Murphy. Her lips had still tingled from his kiss and his scent still lingered around the door. Her mind replaying everything that had transpired from him first coming into the shop to this very moment. As her mind raced about him another kick jabbed against her hand.

"Do you like him?" she whispered looking down at her bump. A few seconds another swift kick occurred making her smile and sigh. She knew she was in trouble now...

Damn that Irish man and his kisses.
♠ ♠ ♠
The brothers' birthdays are made up okay thanks.