Status: Complete

Risk It All

Stranger

"I saw you with Tyler at the park."

"We were just talking. I bumped into him on the way to Sarah's." Nolee explained gently. She couldn't understand why he had become so agitated lately. It seems like it started ever since he began working with Johnny.

"Don't fucking play stupid with me. I saw the way you touched his arm. It didn't look like talking."

"Tristan please, you're overreacting. Tyler is my friend, we were just catching up."

"I don't want you talking to him anymore."

"What? Tristan, you're being dramatic honestly-" the sentence was stopped by abruptly by a loud smack that reverberated off her cheek. Nolee gasped loudly as she cupped her cheek in stunned silence. Tears leaked out her eyes as she stared at Tristan in complete shock. He had never raised a hand to her until now.

"You don't disrespect me. You listen to what I say." he whispered dangerously. Nolee only trembled as she watched him walk away, still holding her cheek as tears streamed.


Nolee wiped the sweat off her brow and ran a hand through her hair as she sat up. The next couple days had transitioned in the middle of the week fairly quickly. Despite the fact that absolutely nothing interesting happens in her life, Nolee still longed for the weekend. Most days she had only wanted to stay in the apartment. Getting the will power to wake up each morning for work with morning sickness was absolutely not a joke. At least on the weekends she could vomit in peace. Speaking of vomit...

"Kira was right you are a parasite, I have nothing left to give you." she lamented at the burning sensation in her stomach and throat. Everything hadn't been so bad except for the damn morning sickness, which by the way was not just in the morning, so whoever decided to officially call it that was a jackass.

After spilling out what little contents were left in her stomach she groaned as she stood up and wiped her lips cringing at the disgusting after taste that remained. She sighed as she turned sideways and observed herself in the mirror. Even being four months along, she had to admit she was pretty lucky to not show much. It was a lot easier to hide from Cosmo especially, she knew it wouldn't last forever but it saved her for the time being. She felt the wave of nervousness of imagining what she'd look like when did eventually start to show. Being short and pregnant would most likely not be fun at all.

Nolee only rolled her eyes as she decided to get ready for the day. A sigh escaped her lips each time she put on 'the mask.' A facade of a somewhat normal person who didn't have a thousand issues. Someone who just wanted to get by like everybody else, not someone who was running from their past. Her stomach curled at the thought of him. Boston seemed far enough from Arizona at the time she decided to leave, but in the back of her mind she would always wonder...was it really far enough?

'He won't find you. He won't find you. He won't find you.'

The weather of Boston seemed to be unpredictable to Nolee. It may have only been October, but the rain and slightly cold temperatures put her in a bad mood. Yeah Arizona was a different story when it came to monsoon season, but October was still decent. The con of being a west coast brat, anything under 70 degrees was just unacceptable. She groaned as it wouldn't be long until Winter had arrived.

Absentmindedly she began to hum along to 'Every Morning' by Sugar Ray as it played on the radio.

'Mark McGrath is so handsome and he sings so lovely, I bet he'd treat me good.' she thought to herself as while placing the fresh blueberry muffins in the small display window. Her eyes involuntarily seemed to look at the door ever so often. Her mind thinking about the strange Irish man she'd seen, he hadn't seem to return since that day. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at why she seemed to care in the first place.

'I doubt I'll see him again.'

Bright yellow sunflowers caught her eyes as she watched a young man hand a bouquet of them to an equally young girl. Her mouth opened largely and Nolee assumed she had let out a gasp of some sort as she happily took them. Her big brown eyes innocently full of love and enchantment at the young man before her. On the contrary a knot began to twist inside her stomach.

"I'm sorry." Tristan exclaimed softly as he handed her a bouquet of vibrant sunflowers. Nolee hesitantly took them from his hands.

"I lost my temper but I didn't mean it baby. I just get a little crazy at the thought of losing you, I can't stand it. I love you so much, I won't do it again I promise.' he assured her as he lightly stroke the red and purple bruise on her cheek.

"You forgive me don't you babygirl?" he pleaded and for a small second Nolee was able to recognize the familiar sweet sparkle in his eyes like the ones he had when they first met. Foolishly she nodded in response making him smile and kiss her head.

"I love you."

Nolee tore her eyes away from the couple and swallowed the nausea that crept up in the back of her throat. Foolish, so foolish she had been.

"So...do ye always randomly stare off into space lass?" a familiar Irish laced voice interrupted her thoughts and instantly causing Nolee to roll her eyes in irony. She turned her head to see the lanky man staring at her from the other side of the counter with the same smirk he had the previous encounter. His dark blue eyes twinkling in pure amusement.

"Back so soon?" she retorted tilting her head.

"Well I didn't end up in ta hospital luckily, I have ta admit ta coffee wasn't half bad. Nothing compared to coffee straight from Italy, but still good. Better than most places here in Boston."

"Well Cosmo's is thrilled to be your last resort."

"Ye very welcome." Murphy winked as he approached the register. "I'll take the same order as last time, please."

"Boring basic black coffee coming right up." Nolee replied as she punched in the order. "$1.50."

"So are ye always this kind and sweet to ye customers?" Murphy asked as he slid the money on the counter. He still donned the black pea coat and rosary around his neck. This time she zeroed on another tattoo. The word 'AEQUITAS' had started from the top of his palm vertically going up his index finger. Not wanting to make an unfair judgment, it was just slightly interesting that someone like him would be religious.

"Just to the ones I like." Nolee faked a sweet smile.

"Well lucky I'm very likeable t'en" Murphy smiled a toothy grin while Nolee sneered inside. What was the deal with this guy, his slightly cockiness was agitating.

"So you claim." Nolee countered as she poured the hot liquid into the large cup.

"Well I am known for being a man of me' word."

"I bet."

"Ye know I can't say I've seen ye around Boston before. Ye just move here or some'tin?" Murphy inquired with curiosity. Nolee instantly felt her guards come up at the question, she hated being asked that question. Because that question eventually lead to more questions, and as one could assume she wasn't pleased to divulge things about herself at this point in time.

"You could say that." she answered briefly.

"Aye, where ye hail from then?"

"No offense, but I'm not the type of person to give up info about myself to strangers." she answered abruptly, feeling the need to shut him down quickly. There was no denying her perception of people had changed drastically, especially when it came to men. Nolee did not feel a need to associate with them in any way. Bitchy it might seem but Nolee didn't care, it was simply instinct at this point.

She could see that the slight rejection had confused him and she'd be lying if she said it didn't amuse her. It was obvious to her this type of reaction was not familiar to him.

"Fair enough lass." Murphy calmly replied taking the hint as he took his coffee and simply gave her a nod of thanks for the coffee. Nolee watched him turn his back and head to the door but just as he reached it, he swiftly turned back around.

"By ta way, this stranger's name is Murphy." was all he simply said as he walked out, his smirk never faltering.

"Ugh!" Nolee huffed as she continued to stare at the door. Who did he think he is?

"Whoa, who pissed off the Pregasauras now?" Kira asked worriedly coming back from her break but noting Nolee's expression.

"That Irish man came back."

"He did? And I missed him again? Damn it."

"Can't exactly say you're missing anything. He's peculiar."

'And cocky.' Nolee thought in annoyance.

"I think you're overreacting just a smidge Nolee."

"I don't think I am."

"Whatever...let's move on. You know that guy Brian I met a couple weeks ago? Well he wants to hang out tonight, and he has a really cute friend named Frankie, I thought we could all hang out together?"

"I don't think so." she quickly shot down, just like she did the past ten times Kira asked.

"Why not? It's not like anything has to happen, it's just hanging out. Besides, you really need to socialize more now that you've settled in somewhat."

"I'll have you know I am perfectly okay with watching Judging Amy in my pajamas thank you." Nolee replied confidently.

"Get real Nolee, it's time you get out more. I know you're still getting used to the city and this would be a great opportunity. Besides, we wouldn't even be going to a club just a bar called McGinty's, it's chill there from what I hear."

"A bar? I don't think that's the best place for a pregnant person to be."

"You don't have to drink obviously, just come hang with us please? I promise it'll be fun...please Nolee." Kira begged pouting her pink painted lips as her green eyes fluttered. Nolee scoffed that even pouting like a child Kira still looked gorgeous. Against her better judgment, she threw her hands up and huffed.

"Fine I'll go, just stop pouting."

"Yay! Thank you! Thank you!" Kira beamed as she jumped up and down.

"Yeah whatever."

"But ya know if you decided to get some nookie, I won't object." Kira smirked as she wiggled her eyebrows.

"Now you're really pushing it." Nolee replied walking away.

"Wait I'm just kidding!" Kira called after her. Nolee grunted as she already mentally prepared herself for tomorrow night. It'd be a long time since she had been out on her own, but Kira was partially correct in what she said earlier.

Besides, it couldn't be that bad...right?