Status: Complete

Risk It All

Charlotte

With Christmas over the MacManus brothers had returned to work to continue on with their normal tasks at the meat packing plant. Connor of course had welcomed Rosengurtle back with a few jokes that were not appreciated and before the large woman got too upset, Murphy had reigned his brother in once again. Carrying on with their tasks of trimming meat fat and unboxing shipments, the brothers worked calmly side by side.

"So, ye ready ta spend more time at this lovely place?" Connor smiled as he slid on a fresh pair of gloves.

"What ye mean?" Murphy asked looking at his twin in confusion.

"Well ye got a family ta care for now brudder, ye better put more hours in." Connor smirked as Murphy rolled his eyes.

"Shut up Connor."

"What? I'm being serious, in case ye didn't know brudder, babies aren't cheap. Better start thinkin' ahead Papa Murph, ye gotta a lot of dirty diapers comin' ye way."

"Murphy, ye havin' a baby? I didn't know t'at congratulations!" McGerkin exclaimed appearing beside the boys. "When did this happen?"

"Well...umm..." Murphy stammered awkwardly at his boss while Connor smiled smugly.

"Ye boss t'is be true, but ye see Murphy's actually adopting. Such a givin' person our Murphy is ye? A modern day Mother Teresa if ye ask me." Connor added to their boss. If looks could kill, Connor would already be on the floor.

"Aye, how mighty sweet of ye lad. Guess you'll be needing more overtime, I'll schedule it." McGerkin joked as Murphy shuffled on his feet.

"It's not t'at expensive is it?" Murphy questioned nervously. "Right...?"

McGerkin only chuckled as he began to walk away. "Poor bastard,"

"Don't worry brudder I bet ye will be a baby expert in no time. But if ye ever in need remember Mary Poppins' is just a song away." Connor replied twiddling his fingers.

"Ye know this is exactly why Ma likes me better." Murphy huffed in annoyance at his brother's badgering.

"Haha yea we'll see about t'at. Pretty sure after she finds out about ye little arrangement, I'll be ta favorite son."

______

"So, how was Christmas with your family?" Nolee asked as both her and Kira found themselves back at the mall after work. They weren't out of the woods just yet with the large crowds, but after Black Friday majority of people were home from being broke now. Today was a rare day the girls barely got to chat at Cosmo's with all the customers.

"Meh it was the same as always. Parents made a big dinner, my sister Ashley said something to piss my parents off as usual, and my aunt Mary brought home husband number four." Kira shrugged.

"Four?" Nolee question eyes wide as Kira nodded simply.

"Clearly she's the ultimate expert in picking husbands."

"I can't imagine having four husbands." Nolee laughed shaking her head.

"I can't imagine a husband period."

"You don't see yourself ever getting married?"

"Unless it's Freddie Prinze Jr. then perhaps, but if not I don't foresee myself getting married anytime soon."

"I don't think I am either." Nolee shrugged casually never putting much into it.

"You mean you wouldn't you want to marry your Irish prince?" Kira gasped in sarcasm. "I don't believe that."

"You don't believe in relationships period, so who are you to judge?" Nolee half teased but was half serious.

"Hey, just cause I don't want full commitment right now, doesn't mean I wouldn't later on. It's just more fun and freeing having no strings attached, no offense."

"Different strokes for different folks." Nolee shrugged unoffended. "You never know though, even you Kira Marie Martin could find that one guy to tie you down." Nolee reminded.

"It be better be because he's about to do some naughty naughty things to me." Kira winked while Nolee could only sigh at the taller brunette when they reached the food court again.

"And what about you, how was Christmas in Ireland?"

"It was good...really good." Nolee smiled to herself as she recalled all the events that took place in her little apartment, more so at the last event.

"You said that with wayyy too much enthusiasm." Kira noted suspiciously while Nolee simply looked away but the blush on her cheeks was evident. Kira gasped as if her radar had gone off making her emerald eyes as wide a saucers.

"YOU GOT LAID!" Kira shouted excitedly causing the people in the food court to turn their heads and stare at the girls with a mix of confusion and disgust. Wanting to die from embarrassment Nolee questioned if this was truly the day she'd experience being in handcuffs from strangling her best friend.

'Don't do it Nolee, don't it. Prison bread is gross. Orange isn't your color.'

"Kira, just why-"

"Christmas miracles really do exist! You finally dusted off those cobwebs, I'm so proud of you! Hey wait where are you going?" Kira asked as Nolee began to walk off away pretending she didn't know the taller brunette.

"So?! I need details, how did it even happen?" Kira asked bewildered when she caught up to the pregnant girl.

"I don't know..." Nolee answered embarrassed. "It just sort of happened...Rocco and Connor had passed out drunk-"

"Wait, you banged even though Rocco and Connor were in the apartment?! You little hussy you have a daring side after all, I'm so impressed." Kira stated in pure amazement.

"It's not like I planned it okay?!" Nolee huffed. "It just happened."

"Well...how was it?" Kira grinned biting her lip in anticipation as the smaller girl sighed and shrugged.

"It was...amazing." Nolee whispered recalling such events still in disbelief it had actually happened as Kira clapped her hands.

"I'm so happy right now! Tell me more, what position did you use? Is he big?" Kira questioned wiggling her eyebrows.

"I'm done with conversation."

~

After prying for more details and Nolee refusing to answer, Kira finally let it go but pouted about it in the process as they made their way over to the maternity department store.

"You're committing the ultimate best friend crime not telling me you know." Kira groveled.

"Yeah, yeah." Nolee waved her hand dismissively focusing on the clothes in front of her. Kira finally dropped the subject as soon as the actual shopping began. Nolee reluctantly let the taller girl have control of her clothing choices, but seeing as Kira was the ultimate fashionista, it couldn't hurt to let her lend a hand of expertise. Giving Nolee a selection to choose from, Nolee begrudgingly when to try them all on. Surprisingly to Nolee Kira's choices hadn't been to ridiculous or revealing, she ended up liking most of the choices. It helped her self esteem feel a little better about accepting the fact she was becoming a planet.

Satisfied with her purchases and looking at the mall clock, Nolee realized it was time to meet Murphy.

"I have to get going, I told Murphy I'd meet him at the meat packing plant when I was finished."

"Before you go, just tell me the goods please." Kira whined as Nolee rolled her eyes.

"Oh my god fine. He's definitely got a lot equipment and knows how to use it okay? Are you happy now?" Nolee huffed in annoyance while Kira simply giggled.

"I knew it."

____

Nolee walked Kira to the subway station before they officially parted ways and she made her way over to the meat packing plant. She was relieved to find Murphy smoking a cigarette leaning against the wall. She bit her lip hoping he hadn't been waiting long.

"What ye already shoppin' for next Christmas?" Murphy teased immediately noticing the shopping bags in her hand, the girl only stuck her tongue out childishly.

"I had to go get some new clothes that fit actually, in case you haven't noticed lately I'm a blimp."

"Aye, but a pretty blimp ye are lass." Murphy clarified attempting to be helpful making her roll her eyes at him.

"Thanks." Nolee replied sarcastically as he finished his cigarette and put it off with his boot.

"Anytime." he smirked wrapping an around her as they began to walk away from the meat packing plant.

"I went shopping with Kira." Nolee further explained as Murphy nodded.

"Speaking of Kira, you want ta tell me what's going with her and me brudder?" Murphy questioned raising an eyebrow.

"When I asked Connor for his blessing, I had asked him to come into Cosmo's to meet me. Seems like they have a mutual crush I guess, Kira more so than Connor, but yeah."

"Aye, well isn't t'at ironic."

"Alanis Morissette thinks so, so yeah."

After allowing Murphy to try the new hot dog place that recently opened up, Nolee was at least able to cure one half of her craving.

"Ye damn near cleaned t'at poor man out of his sauerkraut lass. I'm grossed out and impressed at ta same time." Murphy teased as they found themselves back at their routine spot of the Boston Harbor. Nolee had come to love it as her own thinking place.

"Sorry, I'm starting to have weird cravings. I can't be held responsible for what else I'll want later, and as the boyfriend to a prego, you're supposed to shut up and let me have it. I don't make the rules Murphy."

"Yea okay sure lass." Murphy retorted with a smirk as they sat down on their favorite bench overlooking the water eating their hot dogs.

"Ye know...ye never did tell me why ye choose ta come ta Boston specifically." Murphy noted in curiosity.

"It's sort of a lame reason honestly." Nolee admitted running a hand through her hair.

"Now I'm really curious." Murphy lightly teased as he turned to face her. "Come on, tell me. I promise I won't think it's lame."

"Well one of my mother's favorite movies had been 'Now, Voyager' starring Bette Davis and Paul Henreid, she really loved Bette Davis and old Hollywood movies, like a lot." Nolee explained laughing slightly thinking about her mother's infatuations.

"Anyways, the character Charlotte Vale was a Boston heiress who was slightly unhinged because of her mother's crude behavior towards her, and Charlotte wasn't exactly "pretty" as one would define. Charlotte's sister-in-law brings in a psychiatrist because she believes Charlotte's treatment by her mother is causing her serious harm than the family truly understands. Well the psychiatrist sends Charlotte to his sanitarium where she actually recovers quickly having been away from her awful mother. Not wanting to go back home just yet though, Charlotte is offered a cruise by her sister in law. It's there in Rio she meets a man Jerry whom she falls in love with despite him being married, although unhappily. They ended up having an affair of course and even though they fall in love during the cruise, they make a promise to not see each other again, for Jerry would never actually abandon his wife and daughters. Inevitably after some time circumstances make them meet again, but the reason I liked the movie was because when Charlotte finally returns home to Boston, she's a brand new person. She no longer allows her mother to control her and manipulate her. She's independent...and that was beautiful to me." Nolee explained to him softly as her eyes drifted towards the harbor and sighed deeply.

"When it came time...to leave Tristan, I had no idea where I was wanting to go, I just wanted to get away as far as possible. But when I sat down on the train hopeless yet hopeful, I realized the train had been playing Now, Voyager. Call me cliche, but it sort of seemed like it was a sign. I wanted to be like Charlotte, I wanted to be free." Nolee whispered keeping her eyes towards the water. She could feel Murphy's hand intertwine with hers.

"T'ats why you picked Boston." Murphy replied putting the pieces together as she nodded.

"I told you it was lame."

"It's not lame Nolee, it's beautiful." Murphy scolded her gently. "I don't get how ye won't ever give yourself credit for havin' ta guts ta leave a shitty situation."

"Because I'm not like Charlotte. I might be in Boston, but I still live in fear. I'm not completely free." Nolee reasoned gritting her teeth.

"But ye are like Charlotte love. Ta minute ye walked out t'at door, ye became Charlotte don't ye see t'at?" Murphy reasoned back seeing her lips purse in thought. "Every day ye live away from ye past, ye are Charlotte." he declared as she slowly turned her head back to face him, hating how he undoubtedly did seem to be right all the time. Nolee sighed once more as she reached for the locket hanging around her neck and opened it.

"This is my mom." she told him pointing at the picture.

"She's beautiful." Murphy whispered as she nodded.

"She was very beautiful. Even when the cancer had taken over, she was still beautiful."

"Is t'at how she died? It was cancer?" Murphy whispered frowning while she slowly nodded.

"She had breast cancer. By the time she found out it had already been too aggressive. This is one of the few pictures I had left of her. She didn't want me to remember her the way she looked when she died, but she was always beautiful to me."

"I'm sorry Nolee. I can't imagine how hard it was ta lose ye mom so young." Murphy consoled rubbing her arm. "What about your dad? How come ye never mention him?"

"How can you mention someone who was never there?" Nolee questioned rhetorically although looking into Murphy's eyes. "I don't even know if I can classify him as a dad anymore. After my mom passed my dad changed completely. Before she died he was pretty decent, a little rough around the edges but anyone could see how much he loved my mother. Both of us didn't know how to grieve, and my dad just inevitably shut down, shutting me out too. I tried so hard to be close to him, I needed him more than ever and he just...wasn't there mentally. So in a way it was like I lost both my parents. He wouldn't even let me keep most of my mom's momentos, that's why I was broken hearted when I thought I lost my locket."

"Some people can't handle grief as strongly as others lass. Perhaps ye dad was enduring a painful battle ye didn't know about. Not t'at it is an excuse for shuttin' ye out all this time, but people grieve differently unfortunately." Murphy replied with his own perspective as she nodded.

"I just wish she was still here sometimes. I thought I needed her badly back then, it doesn't compare to how bad I need her now. She would've been an amazing grandma."

"I'm more than certain she's still watchin' over ye and ye little one. Don't worry." Murphy assured kissing her head lightly. Nolee nestled into his neck like she always did as they sat watching the water together.

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" she whispered after sometime. She could feel Murphy shift uneasily beneath her as he sighed.

"I can't answer t'at love, I don't know why some t'ings happen ta way they do, we may never know ta answer. Ta only t'ing ye can do is redirect ye frustration with injustice and unfairness, channel it into a drive ta fight injustice and unfairness. Combat ta world with goodness." Murphy replied firmly causing her to lift her head up at him incredulously.

"Is that what your tattoos mean?" she questioned knowingly glancing at his finger as Murphy hesitated slightly but nodded.

"Yes lass." he answered gently. Nolee only half smiled at him before putting her head back down on him, it had explained so much about him.

"So I learned something new today." Murphy mused.

"Oh yeah? What's that?" Nolee mused lifting her eyes to face him.

"Apparently when ye have a kid, it's expensive?" Murphy thought aloud holding his hands out while all she could do is laugh.

"Why are you thinking about that all of the sudden?"

"Just thought it would be good...ta plan ahead." he answered awkwardly rubbing his ear. Nolee could sense there was something else to what Murphy was saying, but decided not to pester him about it.

"Well it is somewhat, but I've been saving money Murphy. I'll also probably be working until I give birth so, I think we'll be okay for the first couple months after." she assured patting his hand as he smiled at her.

"Ye right, we'll be okay." he agreed as they sat on the bench for a moment in a peaceful silence, until Murphy spoke.

"Ye know since New Year's comin' up Connor and I usually spend it at McGinty's. I thought we could go together but if ye don't want to partake, I'm more than happy ta stay home and watch Ghostbusters." he smirked as she rolled her eyes at the way he actually thought he'd get to pick the movie. Nolee pondered the thought around and suddenly throwing caution to the wind, she shrugged.

"You know, sure. Sounds like fun."

"Really?" he asked surprised at her genuine enthusiasm. "Ye never usually t'at upbeat about parties. What's wrong wit ye, ye gettin' a cold?" he teased.

"Well, it's not much longer until I'm unable to go out at all for a while. Might as well enjoy what little time I have left."

"Alright t'en, it's a date." Murphy winked making her smile as they finally got up from the bench, Murphy reached into his pocket to pull out his sunglasses and slid them on.

"Hey lass, ye not gonna make me go ta all those mommy classes and shit are ye?" Murphy questioned randomly and a bit fearfully while she only raised her eyebrow.

"I wasn't going to but since you're showing so much enthusiasm, I guess I'll be bringing you along when the time comes." Nolee smirked this time walking away as Murphy's jaw dropped walking off after her.

"Aww come on lass."