Status: Complete

Risk It All

Assumptions

Unfortunately the next day came and went faster than Nolee had anticipated. She tried hard to mentally prepare herself for going out. She couldn't recall the last time she had to went to a bar and the idea to back out was on her mind every second, but Kira of course had hounded her all day about it. Before she knew it the time had to come to get ready and she grumbled as she walked to her small closet.

Mindlessly sorting through it, she searched for anything that was considered 'going out.' She flicked through various shirts for what seemed like an eternity. It wasn't as if she was able to take every item she owned when she moved to Boston, and it wasn't as if she had the means buy a new wardrobe either.

"This is hopeless, what am I doing?" she sighed as she ran a hand through her hair, clearly this was a mistake. As much as she was ready to call it quits, there was a tiny part of her that wanted to continue. The tiny part of her that begged for some type of normalcy in her mundane life. Feeling defeated, she settled on a black tank top with a criss crossed chest piece. Followed by the "nicest jeans" she owned AKA, the only pair of jeans that weren't ripped or stained to hell.

As much as her flats were calling for attention, she begrudgingly reached for the only pair of black ankle boots she had, clearly there was diversity in her fashion choices. She zipped them up before facing the mirror and sighed. At least her hair didn't require much effort as it layed in its usual curly pattern. Feeling as though she needed to put a little more effort into her makeup, she decided on a smoky look that drastically contrasted her usual earthy tones. Instead of nude lipgloss she picked a dark brown lipstick.

When she was finished she took a step back and surveyed herself. For not being the type to get dressed up on the regular, she had to admit she didn't look so bad. The slight confidence she suddenly felt was quickly shot down by the underlying anxiety ready to have a go at her.

'Who are you kidding, you look ridiculous. No one would even want to be friends with you if they knew what really happened to you.' the voice her in head mocked as she only hugged herself and shut her eyes in attempt to the block out the voice. But just as she reached for her tank top, a loud knock erupted from her door causing her to jump. She nervously stared at the door for a few moments before the person knocked again. Carefully she walked to the door, her defenses going up as she reached it. She peeked in the peephole and sighed of a breath of relief as Kira stood on the other end.

"I thought I was meeting you at your place?" Nolee greeted as she opened the door. Her eyes widened as she scanned over the tall girl. Kira had donned a black mini skirt and a coral sleeveless top with matching black heels, which of course complimented her long slim legs. Her long hair was curled in soft waves and lastly her makeup was flawless as per usual. Nolee instantly felt like a gremlin compared to the other girl, she completely underdressed in comparison.

"I know, but I figured if I showed up unexpectedly you wouldn't have any chance to back out like I know you want to."

"How incredibly thoughtful of you."

"Thank me later." Kira winked before her green eyes had taken the turn to scan over Nolee's body. Her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Wow preggers you actually clean up nice, I'm impressed."

"Well I almost felt pretty good until you got here, now I feel underdressed."

"You're dressed fine, whatever makes you feel comfortable." Kira encouraged with forced enthusiasm, which Nolee could see it was an effort to pacify her to keep her from backing out.

"Okay, well if you say so." Nolee shrugged. "I'm ready anyways."

"Perfect! The bar isn't too far from here so we can just walk?"

"Sounds good, but wouldn't walking hurt your feet?" Nolee asked confused as she pointed to Kira's heels to which Kira looked back at her in sympathy and sighed.

"Oh Nolee-san, you have so much to learn."

__

"You call five blocks away "not too far?" Nolee complained as they walked in tow to McGinty's.

"You're being dramatic." Kira retorted coolly. Nolee did have to give credit, Kira walked unbothered and gracefully in her heels. If it had been her to do it, she'd be walking like a baby giraffe just born.

"Besides, I heard fresh air is good for pregnant women."

"You sound like my doctor." Nolee's eyes had rolled this time. A large building had came into view with many people standing outside. The sign of McGinty's was revealed and Nolee inhaled a deep breath of anticipation.

"We're here so quit your bitching." Kira smiled as they both stepped inside the crowded bar, her ears wincing at the sudden change of noise. People were happily chattering amongst themselves and drinking beers. Nolee looked at the many decorations and turned her vision back to Kira.

"Are we at an Irish bar?"

"Yeah why?"

"Won't we be out of place?" Nolee asked confused while Kira laughed uncontrollably.

"You're joking right?"

"What's so funny?"

"There's no rule that says you have to be Irish silly, many people come here to hang out it's pretty popular. Come on," Kira smiled again pulling Nolee by hand as they walked deeper into the bar. Kira's eyes scanned the room before a man's voice yelled across the bar.

"Kira!" called a tall muscular man. Kira grinned as she looked at Nolee and motioned over to the man.

"There's Brian, let's go." they made their over to him where he opened his arms and greeted Kira with a hug.

"Well hello beautiful." he greeted as he eyed Kira up and down and smirked to himself. He pulled Kira in for a kiss while Nolee awkwardly turned her head away. Kira only giggled in response.

"Don't you look extra handsome tonight, by the way this is my friend Nolee." Kira replied pointing at the shorter girl.

"Ahh yeah? Well nice to meet you Nolee." Brian smiled kindly at her.

"Nice to meet you too." Nolee replied awkwardly.

"Where's Frankie?"

"He's somewhere around here don't worry." Brian reassured as Kira beamed brightly.

"Well what are waiting for? Let's drink!"

_

The bar continued to get louder as the night went on. Nolee was impressed at the diversity of people conversing together as if they'd known each other for years. Brian did his best to make feel Nolee included by making small talk. It didn't faze Nolee too much, but she did appreciate the small effort he was putting out when he wasn't focused on Kira. It was surprising at best to say that a couple questionable guys had tried to approach Nolee in attempt to buy her a drink to which she of course rebuffed. Kira would scoff in disappointment each time it happened, but she let Nolee be. After all it was a miracle she was even here in the first place she didn't want to ruin the moment. But it was obvious it had been quite something to be in a bar completely sober. So this was what Boston night life was like.

Kira and Brian had once again blocked out everyone else besides them, Nolee looked around mindlessly. She stopped once she could feel eyes staring back at her, hesitantly she turned her head to the left and saw him. That familiar smirk watched her carefully as he put his pint of her beer to his lips. Nolee scoffed to herself in irony as she watched him back. He appeared to be with two other men who were loudly joking with the owner of the bar. Their staring contest was abruptly when the man beside him with spiky hair grabbed him by the shoulder.

"Murph, are ye listenin?" he shouted. The dark haired man gave her one last look before diverting his attention to the other man. Nolee rubbed her arm awkwardly as she turned away from him, of course he would be here.

"Nolee! This is Frankie." Kira beamed as she pulled a lanky man over. It was obvious the beer was starting to kick in for her. The lanky man awkwardly stared back at Nolee. He wasn't bad looking, he was a lot skinnier in comparison to Brian. He had a youthful face with light eyes and his dark hair was cropped.

"Uhh...hey." Frankie whispered shyly. His body language was stiff and nervous, he clearly didn't want to be here more than she did.

Kira, you have got to be kidding me right now.

"Hey." she responded kindly with a small wave.

"Frankie works with Brian at The Plaza. Nolee works with me at the coffee shop."

"That's...cool."

"Well, how about you two get to know each other better!" Kira grinned as she motioned to the both of them while Nolee stared at her with pleading eyes but Kira was oblivious and took off towards the bar. Frankie put his hands in his pockets and shuffled on both feet.

"So uhh...do you like...cheese?"

This is a joke, please tell me it's a joke.

"Excuse me, I actually need to umm.. use the bathroom, I'll be right back." she replied quickly standing up and walking away from further embarrassment. Feeling as if she had been patient long enough, she walked past the rowdy patrons to the outside, desperate for fresh air.

"What did you really expect?" she whispered to herself as she sighed. Adjusting to this life was going to take a longer than she expected.

"Aye, if it isn't the coffee girl." a voice interrupted her thoughts as she rolled her eyes and turned her head to face him. He wasn't wearing his black pea coat this time just a long sleeved shirt and jeans.

"My name isn't coffee girl."

"Can I know what is t'en, I mean I know I'm a stranger and all." he teased as he leaned against the wall. Nolee noted the way his dark eyes were glossy, it was obvious he was buzzed at most.

"It's... Nolee..." she hesitantly replied.

"Nolee hmm..." he replied as he put a hand to his chin in thought. "Never heard it before, I like it."

"Thanks."

"Ye welcome. So Nolee...why are ye out here by yourself?"

"I just wanted some air."

"I see." Murphy nodded in response. "Ye having a good time at least?"

"Somewhat." Nolee shrugged.

"T'ats good. Ye know I must say I'm surprised a girl like ye is at a place like t'is." he added as he flicked the lighter in his hand open and lit a cigarette.

"What do you mean a girl like me?" Nolee inquired curiously.

"No offense lass, ye just seem a lil' stuck up is all." Murphy shrugged as he put the cigarette to his mouth and took a drag. Nolee's eyes widened in shock as she stared back at him.

"Excuse me? I'm not stuck up." she declared as she crossed her arms over chest.

"Let me guess t'en," Murphy began to speak first before blowing out a puff of smoke as Nolee stepped further back away from it.

"I saw how ye rejected some advances in t'ere. Either ye a lesbian, tho ye don't seem ta type, I'm gonna guess t'at some poor stook broke ye heart and now ye sworn off men. I'm guessing the latter." Murphy teased taking another a drag as the rage quickly bubbled up inside Nolee. He may have been buzzed at the moment, but that didn't justify her taking offense to it. Hitting a sensitive spot, she fought back the tears that began to build in the corner of her eyes.

"How dare you, you know absolutely nothing about me." she answered astounded.

"Care to enlighten me t'en?" Murphy replied raising an eyebrow in curiosity while waving his hand dramatically. Nolee only clenched her fists tightly and glared at him.

"It's none of your goddamn business, now leave me the hell alone." she spat back and stormed off before he could say anything else. She breathed deeply to control the emotions brewing inside, who the fuck did he think he is?! He had no right to say assume shit about her when he didn't even know her!

"There you are! Where did you go?!" Kira appeared in front of her with a worried look on her face.

"I was outside, I just wanted some air."

"Oh okay, I was just worried." Kira replied with relief. "Are you okay?" she inquired noting the expression on Nolee's face.

"I'm fine." Nolee pretended. "But I think I'm ready to go home now Kira, I'll walk home if you want to stay."

"No, I'll go with you. Just let me say goodbye to Brian." Nolee nodded as Kira took in the direction of where Brian was. Nolee waited for her return and kept her eye on the door hoping she didn't have to see him if he walked back in, she wanted nothing more than to climb in her bed right now.

Thankfully he didn't come back by the time Kira had returned.

"Okay let's go." Kira said to her softly. Nolee could tell Kira sensed something had happened but thankfully she didn't ask about it. The pair had made their way back home mostly in silence. Kira had made motions as if she wanted to apologize, but Nolee wasn't going to blame her. She knew Kira had good intentions, but clearly they differed in this department of socialization.

Nolee rubbed the top of her tank top awkwardly to distract herself. Her fingers brushed the side of her neck and it was then the panic had fully set in. She gasped as she felt nothing but the skin of her neck.

"Oh no!" she gasped as she looked around on the floor.

"What? What's wrong?" Kira asked worriedly.

"My necklace, it's gone! It fell off." she lamented as she felt tears began to sting her eyes.

"It's okay! We'll find it, it's okay. Maybe it fell off at the bar, we'll find it." Kira tried to soothe her but the anxiety had already set in as Nolee sank to the floor.

This could not be happening.

_

The last of the patrons staggered out the bar as it began to close up for the night. Murphy and Connor bid their usual goodbyes to Doc, their buzz having come to and end as they were set out to make their way back home.

"Night boys. Fuck! Ass!" his tourettes flaring as he waved them off and cleaned up the countertop.

"See you assholes tomorrow." Rocco yawned as he also waved his goodbye.

"See ye Roc." Murphy and Connor replied in unison as they put their coats on and walked out after Rocco. Murphy was half listening to the rambling his brother went on about Charles Bronson when he felt his foot step on something solid. He stopped and curiously looked down at the floor, kneeling down to pick up the item. His eyebrow raised as he examined it in his fingers.

"Are ye listening ye cunt? Ye been a scatterbrain all night Christ." Connor huffed in annoyance as he watched his brother kneel down on the floor. "What is it?" he asked curiously.

"It's uhh nothing." Murphy replied shaking his head as he stood up to face his brother and both of them started again on their way home, carefully he slid the necklace into his pocket.