Status: Complete

Risk It All

Who You Gonna Call?

*Valentine's Day*

"Thank god today is finally over and I'm home at last." Nolee sighed entering her apartment. The dreaded day had arrived faster than she wanted, and gone as expected for fellow single people on such an overrated holiday. The constant displays of affection through out the day from couples made her want to vomit, even more than pregnancy had made her. The day had consisted of internal grumbling mostly, secretly shooting daggers at the couples as she made their coffee.

"Who needs over priced chocolate and cards anyways?" she whispered to herself as she shut the door. Didn't people know you can get the chocolate half the price the day afterwards? Nolee threw bag down on the designated chair and against her chagrin her eyes couldn't help but seem drawn to the phone yet again.

The desire to pick it up burned strongly in her as Alice's words had stuck with her, just like it had each day since their conversation. Sadly she had made a run for it searching through the town until she found Murphy and wound up in is arms like a cliche scene from a movie. Nolee kept finding herself drawn to the phone and wanting to dial Murphy's number. Desperately yearning to hear his voice again, she wanted to be able to listen to Alice's advice and tell him so badly how much she missed him.

The remaining resistance a part of her still had was frustrating. Why couldn't she just pick up the phone and call him? Every time she had gotten closer to actually dialing his number, she suddenly lose the nerve and hang up. What if he didn't even want to talk to her?

Nolee put her face in her hands and sighed once more. Why had this been so goddamn difficult for her, to tell him how she really felt? Was it the fear that at this point Murphy might've changed his mind about her? Given that she hadn't heard from him at all the possibility seemed high. Groaning at not being able to call Kira, she remembered their earlier conversation.

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay by yourself?" a worried Kira asked as ever since February had started she'd been even paranoid about the smaller girl.

"Yeah I'll be fine." Nolee answered casually.

'I'm just gonna sit here cramming cookie dough ice cream into my mouth.'

"You know you could tag along right?" Kira assured referring to the dinner plans her and Connor had made for Valentine's Day. Instantly a frown had formed on Nolee's face.

"And piss Connor off? Yeah I don't think so Kira, I highly doubt he wants to see me right now."

"He's coming around..." Kira answered slowly.

"You sounded real confident there, which leads me to believe he's still mad at me, so no. Plus I don't want to be a third wheel and ruin your guys' romantic plans." Nolee lamented. Even though she was happy the two had seemed to move further with their interest in each other, the last thing she wanted to do was be forced to watch yet another happy couple be together.

"I'm just making sure okay? Remember I won't see you for a couple days, I'm taking a day off for my mother's birthday."

"Oh that's right, I forgot."

"So whatever you do, do not give birth while I'm gone okay? I repeat, DO NOT give birth!"

"I'll try my absolute hardest Kira."

"At least hold her in until I can come back."

"Relax Kira okay? I don't feel any different, I think it's safe." Nolee replied in confidence not noticing any unusual symptoms.

"Okay fine...but promise me something?" Kira asked lowering her voice.

"Promise what...?" Nolee inquired hesitantly.

"Promise me you're gonna call him. Really call him." Kira persisted.

"Kira..."

"Nolee it's been long enough come on."

"Fine...okay? Fine."


Trying to make good on the promise had not been successful obviously. Tearing her eyes away from the phone she took off her coat and slammed it down on the chair frustrated at herself. Deciding to take a shower to distract herself, Nolee welcomed the warm spray washing off today. After changing into comfortable clothes and making dinner for herself, Nolee gravitated towards her usual spot on her couch and turned on the TV. Rolling her eyes at the cheesy romance Hallmark movies.

"Oh for fuck's sake." she whispered continuing to flick through the channels unsuccessfully until she finally happen to catch the almost ending of The Blair Witch Project.

"Now that's better." she sighed in relief allowing herself to focus on the movie. But not even the horror movie had made her feel any better. Her thoughts inevitably still thinking about Murphy. As her mind drifted picturing his face. The dark blue eyes that hypnotized her so many times before, the smirk that made her weak. That stupid fucking intoxicating smell of mint and cigarettes.

As his face became more clear in her mind, Nolee could feel a soft jab from her stomach. Nolee noticed that even the kicks had become less frequent since he left. Nolee sighed as she put a hand on her stomach.

"I know...I miss him too." she whispered to her stomach frowning just as the tv station had switched to the next movie. Nolee lifted her head up at the familiar tune.

If there's something strange in your neighborhood
Who you gonna call? (ghostbusters)
If there's something weird
And it don't look good
Who you gonna call? (ghostbusters)


A look of surprise had spread across her face at the irony but it soon quickly turned to a soft smile. How many times Murphy had made her watch the goddamn movie. An overwhelming feeling overtook her as she stood up from the couch and walk towards the phone.

"Then tell him Nolee, don't waste anymore time. Don't let yourself get consumed with your grief, let your past go and let Murphy help you do it. Don't make the same mistake I did, do it now before it's too late." Alice's words echoed in her ear as Nolee stared at the phone briefly before shaking her head.

"Fuck it." she whispered and exhaled a deep breath before making her way to the chair to grab her coat. A determined smile etched on her face as she slid her shoes on, putting aside her misgivings. Just as her fingers clasped around the doorknob a strange popping sensation had erupted between her legs. Looking down in confusion Nolee's eyes had wandered down to her feet, her heart beginning to pound upon realizing the large puddle.

"Oh my god." she gasped as she stared at the puddle in shock for a moment before running back to her phone.

"Pick up, come on Kira please pick up." Nolee pleaded into the phone but was only met with constant ringing. "Damn it!" she cried out as she hung up the phone and tried to compose her thoughts but her mind was now all over the place.

Unsure of what to do Nolee quickly sprinted out the door and hurriedly knocked on the door across her.

"Please be home! Please be home!" she begged as continued to knock on the door. A few moments later Nolee heard noises at the other end of the door before revealing a groggy Alice.

"Nolee? How come you're knocking so late, what's the matter?" she questioned as a horrified Nolee trembled.

"Alice...I think my water just broke."