Status: Complete

Risk It All

Metamorphosis

Bringing home a newborn was quite the experience for the couple. Nolee still found herself in shock that a tiny new member would now be apart of her everyday life. Adjusting to parenthood was no easy task of course as both Nolee and Murphy had to get used to waking up at odd hours of the night. But as exhausting and confusing it may have been at times, the payoff had been well worth it. Each time Nolee would look down at her newborn eyes it was like falling in love all over again. There was something fascinating and overwhelming watching a piece of your DNA live life out of the womb.

For not having a damn clue about parenting, Nolee had to admit it wasn't as terrifying as she thought it would be. Ruby was thankfully a calm baby majority of the time, as long as she was held and fed of course. Nolee knew also knew she couldn't complain too much when there had been many supportive people to help. The small apartment seemed to be constantly full with Rocco, Kira, and Connor over frequently to visit with Ruby. She was lucky enough to have an extra set of hands at least so she could shower or at least find a little time to make herself a meal before Ruby would need to feed again. It was a bit difficult trying to get stuff done while having a baby on your boob constantly, but that's parenting for you.

Even if she did have to deal with two Irish twin brothers arguing on whose turn it was to change a diaper on a regular basis, it was very entertaining watching them with a newborn all the same. Who would've thought Connor would actually enjoy being an uncle so much. He may like to act tough a lot, but deep inside he was softy for kids and secretly spoiled Ruby. Watching the two of them interact with her child so genuinely had made Nolee's heart swell. Despite getting the brothers to learn how to not swear around a baby had not been easy, she wouldn't have it any other way.

"Christ, t'is blowout is even worse than ta last one!" Murphy cringed holding Ruby up in the air as both brothers began to gag at the rancid smell now wafting through their noises via Ruby.

"How can somethin' so little be so stinky?!" Connor added in equal horror.

"It's ye turn ta change ta baby Con." Murphy told his twin as he made a move to pass Ruby over before Connor held his hands up in protest.

"I think ta fuck not! I already changed a poop diaper!"

"So did I! It's ye turn!"

"Ye her Da, it's ye job asshole!"

"Fine. We'll flip a coin for it."

Okay...almost wouldn't have it any other way.

It was safe to say there an equal balance of craziness and love in her little apartment. As the brothers attempted to solve their dilemma, Nolee smiled to herself as she turned back into the kitchen to finish washing the dishes. It was very weird having time off from work, but it was also nice the small had girl had to admit. At least she managed to pretty much make it through her pregnancy still working at Cosmo's and most importantly, she did thankfully not end up giving birth on the coffee shop floor.

She was very grateful between her and Murphy she was able to spend some time at home to bond with Ruby in the first crucial months whilst on maternity leave. She still felt a little guilty Murphy had temporarily been the one to work extra, but he didn't seem to mind. A small smile spread across her face while maneuvering the sponge across the plate hearing his voice in the other room. Being a step parent seemed to come naturally for him, he knew how to handle Ruby so well. So much so Nolee felt slightly envious that Ruby seemed to be more fond of the Irishman than her, go figure. But truthfully she couldn't blame Ruby could she, I mean it was Murphy after all.

Breathing a sigh of relief to finally have finished the dishes and cleaning up the rest of the kitchen, Nolee noticed the room had gone suspiciously quiet. A small chuckle escaped her lips to find a passed out Connor sprawled out on her couch as per usual, nothing had changed there at all. At least things between her and both the brothers had gone back to normal despite everything.

Nolee carefully draped a blanket over the spiky haired Irishman before seeking out Murphy. She made her way to the bedroom and nearly fainted at the sight before her. Ruby having a moment of fussiness while Murphy rocked her in his arms and began to sing.

"Rest tired eyes a while

Sweet is thy baby's smile

Angels are guarding and they watch o'er thee

Sleep, sleep, grah mo chree

Here on you mamma's knee

Angels are guarding

And they watch o'er thee

The birdeens sing a fluting song

They sing to thee the whole day long

Wee fairies dance o'er hill and dale."
As Murphy continued to sing Ruby's crying had lessened greatly, the words comforting her as her little eyes looked up at him. Just as it had comforted her mother in the hospital.

"Dream, Dream grah mo chree

Here on your mamma's knee angels are guarding and they watch o'er thee

As you sleep may angels watch over

And may they guard o'er thee."
Ruby's eyes had slowly fluttered and it wasn't long along before she was asleep. Murphy carefully walked over to the crib and laid Ruby down inside it.

"Sweet dreams me little princess." he whispered before leaning in to kiss her head. Nolee grit teeth and tried not melt into a puddle.

'Goddamn it, as if I needed ANOTHER reason to fall in love with his Irish ass.'

"Oh, I didn't know ye were standing t'ere love." Murphy said in surprise when he noticed her presence. Pretending as if her ovaries had not exploded just now she smiled faintly.

"I finished cleaning up the kitchen, thank you for laying her down."

"It's ok, someone was mad she had ta stop playing' with uncle Con." Murphy teased as both of them had climbed into bed enjoying a moment of silence.

"I have ta tell ye somethin' love." Murphy told her softly after a while.

"Uh oh." she replied nervously making him laugh.

"It's nothin' bad, at least I don't think so."

"Well, don't keep me in suspense please."

"I was doin' some thinkin' and I think perhaps it's time we move ta bigger place now. I did some research and I found this incredible apartment on ta other side of town. Really great neighborhood for Ruby ta grow up in and even have her own room ye know?"

"Murphy that sounds amazing." Nolee smiled sweetly as she looked at him impressed that he put a lot of thought into the situation on his own accord.

"I know it does and I think we could make it work...but there's one little catch." he replied hesitantly while she lifted an eyebrow studying him briefly, she may not have known him very long, but she knew him well enough by now to know he would only make that face when it had to do with...

"Yes Murphy, Connor can come with us." Nolee assured.

"Are we t'at predictable?" Murphy joked but she could see the relief had spread across his face.

"Pretty much yes." she replied with a laugh making him lightly jab her in the shoulder.

"T'at wouldn't bother ye though if me brudder moved in with us?" he questioned now serious while she reached out to touch his hand.

"Murphy I knew very well when we got together that you were a packaged deal. I wouldn't expect you to leave Connor hanging either, I'd never say no to him living with us." she assured once more.

"Why are ye so damn incredible?" Murphy sighed in adoration as he leaned in to kiss her lips. A small giggle left her lips while pressing her lips back against his. Murphy had taken the opportunity to deepen the kiss as his body hovered over hers. The more his hands roamed her body, his kisses became more needy. As much as she was enjoying feeling him on top of her greatly, her hand pressed against his chest in objection.

"Whoa there Mr. MacManus, I still have some time to go before I'm fully healed down there remember?" Nolee replied reminding him of what the doctor said about waiting at least 6 weeks before having intercourse. She definitely wasn't willing to chance getting pregnant again so soon either.

"Damn it, I keep forgettin.'

"Gotta wait just a little more okay?" she replied in amusement at his now sad expression. At least him witnessing her birth hadn't traumatized him too much to not wanting to be intimate still.

"Ugh, fine." Murphy sighed before kissing her on the cheek and lying down beside her again while she seized the moment to cuddle in his arms. His hand reaching out to turn off the lamp on the nightstand.

"Murphy?" she whispered into the dark.

"Yes love?"

"Can we go look at that apartment?" she asked excitedly hearing him chuckle.

"Of course we can lass. T'at sound like a good plan ta ye then?" he questioned as she snuggled him tighter.

"I'll go wherever you go."

________

*St. Patrick's Day*

"I can't believe you're a month old already my Ruby Hope. You sure do make mama happy though." Nolee smiled as she rocked the sleeping newborn while enjoying the Spring weather from the outside. The small girl felt her best as the warmer weather finally came back to Boston. As the warm sun beamed through the window Nolee took comfort in the fact that Spring really did seem to signify rebirth.

"Maybe after I finish these boxes we could bake some goodies for daddy and uncle Connor? That sound good?" she suggested trying to find ways to keep occupied. It was great staying home caring for Ruby but there were small moments boredom had loomed around since Ruby wasn't completely ready for the outside world germs yet. Another smile had appeared on her face admiring the new view from her window. Instead of rundown buildings, there was more gorgeous sightings of the skyline. A part of her had been hesitant to leave her old apartment behind after all it had sheltered her when she needed it most. When the last of her things had been emptied she had stood there for a moment reminiscing all that occured while she was there. A lot of good memories had been made in such a short time, but there were also a lot of bad ones. Murphy had held her hand encouragingly while him and Connor waited for her to exit for the final time. As much as it had been the cocoon for Nolee, she knew it was finally time to thank you but goodbye. She had gone through her metamorphosis and there was no other way to go except forwards, alongside her irishmen.

A bittersweet feeling going through her body as she scanned around the more spacious apartment before setting Ruby down and continuing on with the unpacking. Her hands reaching inside the box and pulling out a picture frame. Her hands gingerly touching the cool glass and smiling once more at the photograph that had been taken of all them on New Years. Nolee set the frame down on the shelf above the fireplace, feeling a sense of content knowing there was plenty of new memories to be made.

Hearing the sound of keys jingle and familiar voices Nolee turned her head towards the door just in time to see Murphy and Connor walk through. Her eyebrow immediately raised to see Murphy smirking like a pompous asshole while Connor was hunched over in pain.

"Hey boys, Connor what happened to you?" Nolee questioned concerned as he only let out a grunt making his twin giggle.

"Let's just say Rosie finally had enough of our shit." Murphy answered rubbing his neck as her eyes went wide.

"She assaulted you?!" Nolee gasped walking over to Connor.

"She punched him in ta nose then kicked him in ta balls, of course Connor had baited her with lesbian jokes."

"That doesn't give her the right to assault you! I hope she got in trouble." Nolee angrily replied feeling herself get defensive over the other brother.

"Oh she got fired alright, right after Murphy knocked her out." Connor huffed still nursing his nutter butters.

"You what?!"

"She had it comin' Nolee! If she hadn't assaulted Connor not once but twice, I wouldn't have ever dared ta put me hands on her I swear. But I mean...can we really classify Rosengurtle as a female?" Murphy reasoned holding his hands out while Nolee had only shook her head exhaling a sigh.

"Well...I suppose she deserved it. You didn't get in trouble for hitting her back though right?" Nolee questioned worriedly.

"Please." Murphy scoffed. "Everyone knew how awful ta bitch was, I only did what they wish they could've done. And not ta brag or anythin' but Con and I are sort of like royalty t'ere" Murphy shrugged unapologetically as she had only rolled her eyes but cracked a small smile.

"Well I'm glad you both didn't get into trouble, but maybe you should chill on the lesbian jokes from now on Connor yeah?"

"What? It's St. Patty's day, it's all in good fun." Connor countered finally managing to stand up normally. "Which reminds me, ta guys are expectin' us ta drop by ta bar later of course."

"I don't know Con, things are little different now." Murphy replied hesitantly turning his gaze to Nolee. "I think I'll stay with Nolee and Ruby."

"Okay...if t'ats what ye prefer." Connor replied softly and Nolee could see the slight disappointment going through him as he walked towards his room.

"Murphy, go with your brother to the bar tonight." she spoke out turning her eyes back to the dark haired male.

"Really?" he questioned in surprise. "Are ye sure?"

"Of course I'm sure, I can tell your brother is sad about you missing a tradition. Besides..." she trailed off wrapping her arms around his neck. "You've been so good to me and Ruby, I think you deserve a little fun tonight."

"Is this a trick? If I go are ye gonna actually get pissed?" he replied fearfully while she giggled.

"What? Of course not Murphy. Besides Ruby and I were going to do some baking, we'll be fine. Go have fun for St. Patty's Day." she assured.

"Alright if ye really sure."

"I am. Just please be careful tonight okay?" she stated firmly making him smile and lean down to kiss her.

"Ye have me word lass, I promise."

_____

*Later that night at McGinty's*

It had been the typical turn out of fellow Irish and non Irish citizens in Boston stopping in to the beloved bar. Despite there being an unnecessary amount of green decorations no matter which direction you looked at, everybody had been enjoying themselves as per usual. The bar waitresses hard at work supplying drinks to the large number of paying customers.

"Well what do ye know, Murphy actually made it tonight." one of the locals named Jack had smiled seeing the twins sit down at their designated barstools.

"Aye, how of nice of ye ta join us lad. How's being a Da anyways?" Daniel chimed in.

"It's great, couldn't ask for anythin' better." Murphy replied giving a thanks to Doc who had slid them both a beer.

"T'ats good ta hear Murphy, glad ye could make it out." Jack replied kindly. The men now knowing better not to say anything else after their last encounter with Murphy hadn't been too kind. Murphy smirked to himself a bit to see his lecture and threats of kicking their ass had been very effective. The brothers had begun to enjoy their usual chatter and insults with the locals and Doc before hearing the unmistakable voice.

"Hey fuck ass, get me a beer!" Rocco shouted out with a smirk as everyone cheered to see the Italian joining them officially kicking off their St. Patty's celebration. After a while of continuing on with their shenanigans, Doc had motioned for the men to settle down.

"Listen, boys, I've got some very bad news." Doc told them frowning. "I'm gonna have to close down t-t-the b-bar. The Russians are buying up buildings all over the town, includin' this one, fuck ass! And they're not lettin' me renew my lease." he informed the men as sounds of shock and sadness could be heard.

"Let me talk to my boss, maybe he can do somethin...' Rocco had suggested eliciting protests from Connor and Murphy.

"Listen fellas, I don't want anyone to know. So you keep your traps shut. You know what they say : people in glasses s-sink ships." he reminded the men as a chorus of annoyed grunts had gone through the air at yet another Doc proverb screw up.

"I'm definitely buyin' you that proverb book Doc."

"A penny saved is worth two in the bush, innit?" Connor teased.

"And don't cross the road if you can't get out the kitchen." Murphy smirked making the other men chuckle. Just then the sound of a door slamming shut had caught all their attention. The men's heads had turned to find three large men in suits approaching them. The middle man staring at them nonchalantly.

"I am Ivan Checkov, and you will be closing....now."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is now entering the last major turnpoint of the story, if you're not familiar with the movie of Boondock Saints it may not make sense.