Status: Complete

Risk It All

Ethics

"What do I owe the pleasure Agent Smecker?" Nolee replied nervously.

"Oh, I was in the neighborhood and heard you moved. Thought I drop by and say hello." Agent Smecker mused and the sarcasm was not missed by the smaller girl who's stomach began to churn. "I think we both know why I'm here Miss Wade."

"Is this about Foster?" Nolee questioned worriedly having almost forgot about the other man that aided in her life potentially being ruined. There hadn't been any other word about him since Tristan had come to her old apartment and Nolee had assumed perhaps he had gotten word of what happened to Tristan and disappeared.

"How about I come inside and I can explain?" Agent Smecker replied gently as Nolee hesitantly let him inside the apartment. Agent Smecker smiled at her kindly before observing the new surroundings seemingly pleased.

"Looks like you got an upgrade, I presume it's a lot better for the little one yeah?"

"I'm sorry to be frank Agent Smecker, but you can please just tell me why you're here already?" Nolee interjected fidgeting her fingers. "Has Foster come back?" she questioned once more fearing the worst as Agent Smecker chuckled slightly raising his eyebrows.

"Actually, I'm here due to three other criminals that seem to be at large lately... ironically two of which you happen to live with." Agent Smecker answered casually causing shivers to run down Nolee's spine and heartbeat to increase.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about..." she replied calmly despite her body beginning to shake.

"Miss Wade, I think it's fairly obvious by now this isn't my first rodeo. I've been in this field a long time and not to toot my own horn, but I'm very skilled at what I do. It is in your and the MacManus brothers' best interest that you don't attempt to lie to me right now, unless you'd like to be charged as an accomplice." Agent Smecker reasoned with a firmness to his voice as his light eyes stared at her intently. Nolee's hands had begun to sweat while figuring out how she'd get out of this one.

"I'm not involved with anything, you can't charge me." she insisted truthfully.

"Perhaps not, but you can be charged with harboring fugitives. I'm aware that MacManus brothers are responsible for the recent acts of violence that have occured, as well as their companion David Della Rocco. They've been targeting criminals all over Boston and taking matters into their own hands it seems. Like I said before I've been in this field a long time, but never have I seen such careful planning as this. I admit the MacManus brothers had us on a goose chase for quite a while, they're even more intelligent than I originally thought." Agent Smecker explained causing the small girls' eyes to widen.

"The crimes that have been committed all seemed to have similar patterns. The victims seemingly involved in illegal activities coincidentally. Although the brothers and Mr. Rocco managed to cover their tracks pretty well, they had a little slip up. After the shootout that occured in a residential area this afternoon and unable to test the blood left behind, there seemed to be a little piece of evidence still. I've concluded the finger left at the scene is indeed the DNA of Mr. Rocco, and if my memory serves me correctly I can tie him to being associated with Connor and Murphy the day they came into the station. Looking back on all this now, I find it a little too coincidental that these chain of events happened after the mishaps with the group of Russians the MacManus brothers encountered."

"What does this have to do with me...?" she whispered uneasily.

"I'm assuming you have some knowledge of their planning and I'm simply curious Miss Wade, is this some quest for revenge? Is it possible what happened with the Russians sparked an idea of vigilantism on the brothers' part?" Agent Smecker questioned rhetorically already having known the answer. Nolee shivered once more realizing Agent Smecker was in fact the real deal, his intelligence was unlike anything she'd ever seen. A twisting sensation had started in her stomach wondering what this meant for Connor and Murphy now that they had been found out, there clearly was no other way around it now.

"A-are you going to put them in prison?"

"Technically what they've done qualifies for prison time, even if they only sought out bad guys Miss Wade."

"Please don't." she begged feeling tears build in the corner of her eyes aching at the visual of the brothers behind metal bars. "They aren't trying to hurt anyone else, no one else has stepped up to the plate to help with the thugs of Boston. They're the ones killing actual innocent people every day, what about them? You arrest them sure, but all they do is bail themselves out with their money and then they're free to walk away. Where's the justice there?" Nolee questioned.

"Miss Wade, I understand where you're coming from but the fact is the MacManus brothers have committed serious crimes here."

"Crimes that would help the community. I know what they've done is a crass way to get their point across...but criminals get to use loopholes all the time. It's obvious how bad the crime rate has gotten Agent Smecker, the citizens of Boston can see that. Clearly whatever is being done on your end is not helping, no offense. Haven't you noticed that since the guys have started this, the citizens have been unusually quiet? People are starting to feel safer, the message is slowly being spread. As someone who's dealt with evil people this shouldn't be a question of legalities, but it should be about ethics. Tell me Agent Smecker, as a person who is supposed to uphold the highest standard of the law, don't you think deep down that what is being is done is somewhat necessary? Connor and Murphy may be ruling with an iron fist, but in this day and age something extreme needs to happen in order to make change." Nolee reasoned softly knowing damn well she just talked completely out of her ass. Knowing it might've been foolish to try and justify their actions, Nolee felt there had been no other choice at this point to help the brothers any way she could.

Despite her bullshitting she could see something change in Agent Smecker. The sternness in his face was slowly softening as if she'd unlock something inside of him he hadn't noticed before. His light eyes had studied the small girl carefully as she began to fear her rambling might've just made things even worse.

"You know Miss Wade...you're right." Agent Smecker whispered.

"I...am...?" Nolee replied in shock.

"I'd be lying if I didn't agree that the system is completely flawed. All the things I secretly I wish I could do...the brothers are doing it. When I took an oath to protect the citizens of Boston, I promised I would honor that. But lately I'm ashamed to say I haven't been able to uphold that, you helped me see that."

"I did?" Nolee asked still surprised.

"Yes you did. But you know for a fact that the brothers wouldn't harm innocent people?"

"Connor and Murphy would never Agent Smecker." Nolee whispered. "Everything they do is with good intentions. They only want to help Boston, I promise you that. They're only after people who truly deserve it." Nolee assured figure it was best to milk the situation as much as she could. Agent Smecker had contemplated the problem a final time before giving the small girl a curt nod.

"Then I'll stand behind the brothers, I will help them." he declared calmly.

"Really?" Nolee gasped in relief at the brothers not being potentially put in prison.

"Maybe their ways of doing things aren't morally right, but like you said Miss Wade it's about ethics." Agent Smecker admitted.

"T-thank you Agent Smecker, thank you." Nolee whispered gratefully.

"No, thank you Miss Wade. I'll see what I can do from my end to help Connor and Murphy. Until then, I need things to be calm right now. If the brothers are moving forward with any major plans, I would like to know about it."

"Okay." Nolee nodded in compliance.

"I'll be in touch soon, have a good evening."

"Goodbye Agent Smecker." Nolee kindly bid her farewell as the slender man exited the apartment swiftly. Still unable to believe she pulled that off her eyes switched to Ruby who was fast asleep in her bouncer. A deep exhale of breath had left the small girl's lips thinking about her beloved Irishmen, there was no doubt that when it really came down to it she'd do anything to protect them.

"Oh they owe me so fucking much for this."

_____

It wasn't much longer before the three men had finally decided to return the apartment, unaware they had narrowly missed an Agent Smecker in their very own apartment. Hearing their unmistakable voices and the door open, Nolee leapt off the couch to meet them halfway.

"Hey love." Murphy told her softly while she had only jumped into his arms surprising him, Murphy's body tilting backwards some.

"I'm so happy you're back." she replied in relief.

"Ouch lass, easy on ta arm." Murphy winced as he slowly put her back onto her feet. Nolee's eyes had immediately lowered down to the crimson stained tourniquet wrapped around his forearm with concern filling her brown eyes.

"What happened?" she demanded turning her gaze to other two men and noticing their bandages. "Connor, Murphy, answers. Now."

"Some unforeseen circumstances happened after our hit." Murphy admitted mentally preparing himself for the possible blow up that would erupt from the small girl. "We're okay though we promise." he quickly assured when he noting the stiff body language she now had.

"Well good, because we got bigger issues now." Nolee replied turning her attention back to Murphy.

"What happened?" the dark haired male questioned fiercely.

"Agent Smecker came by to talk to me...he knows it's you guys behind all this." Nolee explained meekly.

"Fuck!" Connor hissed. "I fuckin' told ye!"

"What did he say?" Murphy pressed on nervously.

"He was able to put together all the pieces of your hits, he knows it all started after the incident with the Russians. He found Rocco's finger left behind at the scene apparently." she explained, briefly glancing at the Italian with narrowed eyes.

"Damn it! That's where it went." Rocco lamented unaffected by the gravity of the situation.

"Shut up Roc, as ye can we're fucked here." Connor angrily snapped at the Italian.

"Relax Connor...after speaking with him briefly, I convinced him to join your side. He's willing to help you." Nolee assured as all three men's eyes had widened in shock.

"How ta fuck did ye do t'at?" Murphy gasped incredulously.

"I guess your guys' power of persuasion is finally starting to rub off on me." Nolee shrugged in response as all three men looked at each other with shock but mostly relief.

"Fuck! What did I do right ta deserve ye?" Murphy replied pulling the small girl in for a big kiss. "I'm fuckin' proud of ye, and a bit turned on as well." he noted furrowing his brows.

"Nice try at the sweet talk Murphy, but that won't make me forget you all got injured today. Now tell me what the fuck happened today, NOW."

"Christ, okay lass just don't kill us okay?"

"No promises Connor."

The three men had then sat Nolee down and explained to her how their hit had seemed to be going well despite Rocco fucking up like usual, they still managed to eliminate the men in the backhouse. Even going so far as to allow Rocco to have a shot at some glory, they then elaborated at how the plan had suddenly went south by a man waiting for them out front and ambushed them.

"And you have no idea who this old man is?" Nolee whispered worriedly.

"Not a damn clue." Murphy admitted.

"Well aren't you afraid he's going to to come after you guys again? I mean he already managed to find you guys once, what if...what if he actually succeeds in his hit next time?" she questioned fearfully.

"Ta old man isn't our priority right now." Connor explained immediately causing the small girl's to have an expression eerily similar to the cinnamon roll incident.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" she shouted in astonishment making the men wince. "How far exactly are you all trying to go here? You almost fucking died today, don't you think you should take it easy for now?!"

"We can't afford ta slow down now Nolee, now that things have heated up." Murphy whispered in admission. Not having the energy to argue with the brothers, the small girl had only glanced at each of the men in disappointment before shaking her head and getting up to walk away. Guilt had radiated between the adults knowing they had upset her greatly.

"I'll go talk ta her..." Murphy declared before getting up from his own seat to head to their bedroom. Slowly opening the door he could see her standing by the window staring outside to calm herself. Using the arm that wasn't wounded he wrapped it around her waist pulling her against his chest.

"We didn't know we'd get blindsided like t'at."

"I told you before Murphy it just takes one time." she whispered back keeping her gaze on the window.

"I know...and I admit things haven't worked out exactly ta way we had hoped."

"You think?" she quickly retorted hearing him sigh.

"Nolee..."

"I'm sorry..." she apologized quietly. "I just...if something had happened to you today...I wouldn't know what to do. I don't want to know what it would feel like to lose you three." she whispered painfully. "I don't know if I can continue to watch you go on like this."

"We're still here love." he assured internally feeling guilty knowing he had put her in this position.

"Murphy, what if...what if you're starting to tread too deep now? Are you sure you really want to keep going?" she questioned feeling her previous support for them slowly diminishing upon realizing how severe today had gone. Seeing the wounds on their bodies had brought her back to reality, she couldn't bare to imagine what other injuries they would possibly sustain in the future.

"We don't have a choice Nolee." Murphy reiterated with another sigh. "If our suspicions are correct, we think ta old man might have something ta do with Yakavetta, he's ta one we need ta keep our focus on. T'at bastard needs ta be taken care of once and for all. Ta Italian and Russian mafias are both equally ruthless in Boston, but ta Italians run more shit around here."

"Murphy..." Nolee had started as the Irishman swiftly turned her around to face him.

"If we succeed at gettin' Yakavetta...we'll slow down things okay?" Murphy conceived letting her know the tone in his voice had been sincere. "We'll lay low for a while, no hits." Nolee pondered his words and was hesitant to agree to the compromise. A strange feeling running through her about them carrying on against the Italian mafia.

"T'at asshole has run things for far too long now, his reign of terror is what needs ta end now."

"Fine..." she whispered thinking it over unable to deny Murphy had ultimately been right about Yakavetta. "But after him Murphy...you're done for a while."