Status: Complete

Risk It All

Mysterious Ways

The sound of machines roaring throughout the building was a very familiar sound to the brothers as they did their everyday duties. The production line of employees and busy hands working feverishly to get their shipments done as fast as they could, several of them cracking jokes to one another in attempt to make the work go by faster. Some sighed in frustration as they wiped the sweat off their foreheads with their forearms from the steam, some sang quietly to themselves. Each employee had their own methods they used to stay busy but most importantly not get overworked. However it was proven to be challenge especially on Mondays, which was shipment day.

Murphy gave a sigh of his own as he stopped momentarily to catch his breath. He looked on the many employees before him get their tasks done, as he often did. Despite Mondays being a pain in the ass more often than not, Murphy looked at them in admiration. The meat packing plant was not for everyone, especially ones who were afraid to get their hands dirty, literally. It was hot, smelly, and many times the MacManus brothers came home smelling like rotten carcasses.

As long as him and Connor had been there, he'd seen many people come and go. Some too prissy and some unbelievably naive to what a meat packing plan actually is, it was extra entertainment for Murphy truly. But aside from the ones who couldn't hack it, there was still many employees before him that showed up each and everyday and got shit handled. Men and women who were not afraid to get their hands dirty, but most importantly the ones who believed in honest work, even if the job was rough. Because at the end of the day they sacrificed all they had in order to take care of their families.

The values and pride they took reminded him of back home, that was the main reason Murphy and Connor had stayed for as long as they have. As they years went on Murphy had found himself missing Ireland often, and ironically the meat packing plant was the closest thing to it. Seeing as the head boss McGerkin had been Irish himself, the boys felt as it had been the sign they were looking for when they first moved to Boston and needed employment, badly.

Murphy had usually been the one to prep meat for cutting, while Connor did the actual fat trimming from the meat. His attention turned to his twin on cue, who of course had been flirting with their co-workers as per usual. Murphy's mind suddenly shifted from Connor to Nolee and the dinner they had Friday night. Despite it not meaning anything in particular, he couldn't help but note how nice it had been. The small conversation they shared was refreshing compared to the past girls he talked to, who only cared about gossip, pop culture, and all the other irrelevant shit.

He pursed his lips as he skipped to her getting on the subway and how defiant she had been. All he wanted to do was make sure she got home safe and not get caught up with the low life thugs that'd been roaming the streets at night, especially the ones tied in with the mafias. But her guard had been completely up, what was her deal? He didn't see how such a small girl could be so complicated. There was something about her he couldn't seem to put his finger on.

"Murphy, after t'at last box ye can take ye break." McGerkin called out to him as he turned his attention away from his brother to his boss. Murphy only gave a thumbs up in response and went back to work. When he finished, he wiped his forehead and looked at the work clock which 3:00. Feigning for a smoke, he walked to where Connor had stood.

"Can ye cover me today?"

"What ta fuck for?" Connor responded confused.

"Just cover me yeah? I'm gonna get a coffee."

"Since when did ye start drinking coffee so much? I know we been working overtime a lot, but ye usually don't drink it."

"Well now I do." Murphy replied in a casual manner as his brother looked at him raising one eyebrow.

"Ye been goin' to t'at shop a lot too, w'at gives?"

"What ye mean?" Murphy replied confused.

"T'at girl from Friday, she's ta reason isn't it?"

"What Nolee?"

"No I'm talkin' about Rosengurtle ye fuckin' idiot."

"First off that's disgustin.' Ta fuck is wrong wit ye, and what about her?" Murphy replied defensively.

"Don't act like a wanker Murph, ye like her don't ye?" Connor accused with a pointed index finger.

"I don't know what ye talkin' about."

"Ye fuckin' right." Connor retorted with narrowed eyes. "I can see it in ye eyes, I know how ye get."

"You've officially gone mad haven't ye? Look, I'll have ye know I happen ta like ta shop, and it just so happens she works there."

"How convenient."

"Whatever okay? I'll admit...she's interesting, but t'eres something about her I can't read. She seems a little...difficult." Murphy noted as his mind thought back to Friday night once more.

"Well maybe t'ats for ta best ye? I reckon ye need ta leave her be." Connor replied shaking his finger at his brother. "Given ye past female choices."

"You're overreacting a bit Con." Murphy retorted rolling his eyes.

"I don't know why...but I just got a strange feeling."

"Because ye gut instinct is always accurate right?" Murphy scoffed. "And let's not talk about female choices brudder." Murphy shot back as the brothers locked eyes and stared one another down for several moments. The both of them still able to speak their own language to each other, the one thing about being a twin Murphy sometimes resented.

"Just be careful alright?" Connor softly sighed finally speaking.

"I always am brudder." Murphy replied with a smirk as he slapped his twin on the shoulder before walking away, Connor only stood there shaking his head in dismay.

_____

"Aww that is so creepy. But cute." Kira exclaimed as she stared at the sonogram, practically ripping it from Nolee's hands when she finally showed up for her shift. It had been rather hell doing a solo shift without Kira for most of the day, it was Monday after all. She hated when Cosmo decided to split up their shifts. It was in those moments that despite being very annoying, Nolee missed her Kira. At least no customers threw a muffin at her in anger, now that was fun.

"Still looks like an alien." Nolee teased.

"Umm...I don't want to alarm you hun, but that's quite a big head. Are you gonna be able to squeeze that thing out?"

"That's how the head looks at that stage Kira." Nolee explained half rolling her eyes.

"Oh thank goodness. Imagine if stays that way though, your poor vag." Kira replied with wide eyes.

"Wow, that's encouraging thank you." Nolee remarked as she walked towards the sink and threw in the dirty blenders.

"Hey, how did you end up pregnant anyway?" Kira asked curiously.

"How do you think smart one?"

"Well I know how it happens smart ass, but I mean..."

"What?" Nolee inquired at her trailing off.

"Honestly after knowing you for a while now, I'm surprised someone like you let this of 'accident' happen." Kira shrugged softly. Nolee was taken aback at her reply and her mind subconsciously drifted away.

Nolee stood in the corner of the large mansion as music blared through the various speakers. Many people were laughing amongst themselves and drinking freely. She cringed when she also noticed a group of people sitting on the couch waiting anxiously as Dino cut four thin white lines, a blonde girl eagerly holding up the plastic straw in her hand. Nolee turned her head away in disgust and try to focus on something else but it was difficult. Why had Tristan brought here, she didn't want to be here! Why did he always have to attend these kind of things?

She wanted to go home and away from these people, she didn't belong here.

"Baby, why are you standing all the way over here, come have a drink with us." Tristan appear at her side and held up a red plastic cup to her face and smiling.

"Umm I don't know-"

"Come on baby, just one drink. You're not going to embarrass me tonight are you?" Tristan replied warningly. Nolee shivered at the change in his eyes and shook her head.

"That's my good girl. Now come on, we're here to celebrate and you look hot tonight." Tristan's smirked as he eyed her body and up down as she blushed.

"Just one drink okay?" Nolee replied nervously.

"Yeah babe, of course..."


Her reverie ended as she sighed and looked at her stomach. It definitely hadn't been just one drink.

"Yeah, well life works in mysterious ways." she retorted to the taller girl as she turned her attention back to the sink.

"Well, I mean it's not all bad I guess, it did bring you here after all."

"Yeah."

"But, do you think your baby daddy will ever try to contact you? I know you said he made it clear he didn't want to be apart of the baby's life, but what if he changes his mind?" Kira asked innocently. The knots in her stomach had returned as Nolee swallowed the bile that involuntarily tried to come up. 'What if?' it was a thought she didn't like to have often, but did.

"I highly doubt it. But if he ever did...I don't know." Nolee answered honestly.

"Would you let him see the baby?"

"Maybe...I don't know, I haven't figured it out yet." Nolee added awkwardly. "Can we change the subject though, I'd rather not talk about him yet."

"Oh yeah of course, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, umm how was your weekend?" Nolee asked attempting to divert the taller girl's attention, making a full effort to not bring up what took place Friday night.

"It was good. Brian and I had a little nightcap or two after he took me out to dinner." Kira winked.

"You've been spending a lot of time with him you know." Nolee replied raising her eyebrow.

"Oh don't look at me like that, I'm not falling for the guy or anything. Let's just say he's good at what does...and equipped very well."

"Okay that's way too much information."

"Oh, the innocent pregnant girl is suddenly modest, that's hilarious." Kira scoffed as Nolee stuck her tongue out childishly.

"Sorry the rest of us common folk don't have a spectacular sex life like you do." she sighed dramatically. When Kira remained quiet Nolee turned her attention to the taller girl and noticed her worried expression. Nolee instantly felt herself tense up.

"What's wrong?"

"Umm...Nolee behind you."