Status: In progress!

On Top of the World, at the End of the World

Eight

This party is all the way out at the edge of Zone 5, where Ghoul hasn’t been in years. The further you get away from the city the more desolate the landscape becomes. But apparently, it’s a great place for parties and virtually nothing else because the Dracs hardly ever bother going past Zone 4. As much as they all hated the city, it was the only immediate source of supplies. Not to mention that the weather got harsher the further into the desert you went. Dust storms, sweltering heat, and acid rain so strong it could eat through your skin we’re common in the other Zones, but once you got out to 5 and beyond, it was almost nonstop. And if the weather didn’t kill you first, you’d be eaten by mutated desert creatures or stabbed to death by radiation junkies. To stay out here for too long, especially on your own, was basically a suicide mission. Ghoul rambles all of this to Poison as they drive out into the desert

“Ghoulie, you’re starting to sound like Jet,” Poison’s voice hardly heard over the roar of the engine and the crunch of gravel beneath the tires. The sun is setting, glowing dimly in the distance like a lightbulb that really needs to be changed. The sunsets this far into the Zones look like an acid trip- bright pinks streaked with strips of purples and greens. It’s beautiful, but in a very disturbing way that’s almost difficult to look at, like everything else out here.

“I’m really surprised he agreed to even come out here…”

Poison chuckles. “Well, he’s didn’t really agree, so much as he was blackmailed.” Ghoul raises an eyebrow in question. “Pony chugged half a bottle of vodka in one sitting and then threatened to drive.”

“Sounds about right.” Ghoul watches as the glow of a bonfire crackles in the distance, the blurry outlines of bodies quickly coming into focus as they drive closer. The music is so loud it rattles the windows of the Trans Am and dozens of bodies, all decked out in glitter and neon are writhing in sync as Party parks the car.

Ghoul’s confidence is starting to quickly fade when Poison puts a hand on his knee and says his name softly. “Hey, are you sure you want to do this?”

No, not at all. But he’s already out and all dressed up. Besides, Poison is here to keep him company and guide him through the hard parts of social interaction. He nods firmly and Poison just smiles softly and kisses his forehead. “Okay, pretty boy. Let’s rock and roll, then.”

Party holds the car door open for him and Ghoul laughs as he climbs out and grabs his hand, twining their fingers together. As they enter the crowd, heads start to turn. Poison is used to this but Ghoul isn’t and it’s a little overwhelming, having all these eyes on him. But then he looks at him and the world is muted save for his colors.

Party Poison pulls Ghoul to an empty spot on the dance floor, ignoring the prying eyes and invasive whispers. People have always stared at him and he knows it, loves the attention and relishes in it. He likes to be gossiped about, made out to be a god for a night where everyone wants him but can’t have him.

Ghoul has never been a dancer. He’s too self-conscious and doesn’t like the hyper-awareness that comes with it. But tonight he feels like a different person, like the kind of guy that actually wants to go to parties and participate in (what’s left of) society. Also, it’s a good excuse to stay close to Poison, who is in his own world now, has his head thrown back and arms moving with the rhythm, his entire body rolling and falling back against the beat. He glows in the firelight, the flames dancing over his face, reflecting in the metal buttons on his jacket.

When the song ends, Party’s skin is slick and shiny with sweat and he grins at Ghoul as he tugs him away from the crowd. “Gonna go find Kobra and Jet. Make sure they’re not fucking dead.”

He follows him happily as he weaves through the crowd, waving or shouting hellos to the people he “knows.” “I don’t come out here very often so I don’t know half of these guys,” he confesses with a laugh. “But if I do know them, I probably don’t remember it. You only come out to Zone 5 if you want to get completely obliterated.”

They find Jet sitting alone by the fire on an overturned milk crate, nursing something bright green in a glass bottle. He seems relieved to see them and waves wearily. “Hey, Jet! You having fun?”

He rolls his eyes. “Fun is a very strong word… I’ve been doing my best to babysit and also keep my distance.” Jet jerks his thumb over to where Pony has Kobra pinned up against the hood of their car, their hand in his jeans as the two of them make out sloppily. He takes a swig from his bottle and then looks up in shock, finally noticing Ghoul standing beside Party, all decked out.

“Damn! You look hot! Since when did that happen?”

Ghoul flares at him and punches his shoulder a little too hard. “Hey! It was a compliment you fuckin’ bastard!”

“I gave him a makeover. Isn’t he just darling?” Party says with a goofy giggle, making eyes at Ghoul as they both sit down on the empty crates next to Jet.

Jet makes a retching noise. “I can’t handle all of this gay, mushy nonsense all the time. If it’s not you then it’s Kobra…”

“Well, if you want, you can join in the fun. I’m always down for a threesome, aren’t you Ghoulie?” he teases, looking at his boyfriend with big eyes and a smirk. Ghoul hates that he turns bright red.

“Yeah, no thanks. I’m not into unstable train wrecks.”

Poison makes a face of mock offense just as Pony saunters over and sits in his lap. He laughs and wraps his arms around their waist. “Whatcha doin’, Pony? Trying to make your boyfriend jealous?”

They laugh and throw their head back against Poison’s shoulder. “Honestly, it’d be kinda hot to have two guys fighting over me…”

“Right, because that’s never happened to you before.”

“But you two are siblings, that makes it hotter, adds more drama.”

“And we all know you get off on that,” Poison says, ruffling their hair fondly.

“Speaking of drama…” Pony lowers their voice. “Your ex-boyfriend is here, asking around about you.”

“Yeah? Which one? It’s not the guy who’s convinced he’s a vampire, is it?

“God, I wish. It’s Vic Valentine.”

Poison’s smirk slips as the color drains from his face. He definitely remembers this one. “I didn’t even know he was still alive. Thought that asshole would’ve gotten himself dusted by now.”

“Apparently he’s been living in a hovel by himself in Zone 6 or something? He tried to strike up a conversation to me but I make a rule not to talk to little bitches. Besides, if I had to look at his stupid fucking face for more than two seconds I was going to end up fighting him and this dress is way too cute to get blood all over it.”

Kobra comes back looking annoyed and holding two drinks, one of which he gives to his boyfriend. “Here you go, Babe. Sorry, it took me so long,” he said with a roll of his eyes.

“Did that dickhead harass you, too?” Poison says incredulously.

“Yeah, he was asking me all these weird questions about you. How you were doing, where you were, what your new boyfriend was like. I told him I’d kick his ass if he came anywhere hear you.”

Poison giggles at his little brother’s overprotectiveness as he grabs Jet’s bottle from his hand and takes a swig, much to his protest.

“Ew! What the hell is this shit?”

“It’s soda, you dumbass. I’m driving home. That’s the whole reason I’m here.” Poison sticks his tongue out at him.

“So who is this Vic guy, anyway? You’ve never told me about him,” Ghoul asks quietly as Pony claims Kobra as their seat and Party gets up to sit in his boyfriend’s lap.

Poison rolls his eyes. “One of the only guys I seriously dated for a while. He was always super possessive and controlling. Wouldn’t let me talk to certain people or go out without him. He also had absolutely no sense of boundaries, was constantly forcing me to do stuff with him and was always making really weird comments about my body. When I broke up with him he started telling everyone in the Zones very intimate details about our sex life, and suddenly I became the “weird tranny freak” who’d tricked him into sleeping with me. As if his penis just happened to accidentally fall into my vagina multiple times.” He’s fuming now and Ghoul just wraps a protective arm around his waist.

“Pony and I can go kick his ass again, Party. Clearly, he didn’t learn his goddamned lesson the first time,” Jet says with that fire in his eyes that always comes out when someone fucks with one of his brothers.

“Thank you, Jet. I appreciate the chivalry, but I’m not going to let it bother me. He wants to make me upset so he can have some sick sense of control back but he’s not gonna get it. Come on Ghoulie let’s go dance!”

Ghoul lets himself be pulled back on the dance floor as the song changes, to something abrasive and electronic. It’s the kind of thing that they’d play at a bar or a strip club, he thinks. It’s way too loud and kind of terrible, but when Poison pulls him in by the corners of his jacket, hips, mouths crashing together as they grind against each other, he decides it’s his new favorite song. He’s watched his boyfriend do this with other guys before, but never like this. He feels like he’s being marked, being claimed as Poison’s hands move down to cup his ass under the skirt he’s wearing.

Party knows the effect he’s having on Ghoul and he grins mischievously as he bites his boyfriend’s lip, moving his hips closer and shamelessly dry humping him in the middle of the crowd. They make out sloppily, the kisses getting dirtier by the minute. After a few more songs, Ghoul offers to go get them drinks as he catches his breath. Party just pouts but kisses his forehead and tells him to hurry back, then returns to dancing.

Ghoul is rummaging through a metal tin full of glass bottles and cans when he feels a presence come up next to him. He moves over to let the person have better access to the drinks, but they don’t move. When he stands up, he finds a scarily tall man staring at him.

The man flicks his dark red hair over his shoulder as he observes Ghoul cooly with one intense dark eye. When Ghoul makes eye contact with him, the man’s lips twist into a smirk. The scar that runs from the edge of his mouth down his neck makes what was probably an innocent gesture look sinister. And it takes Ghoul about five seconds to realize that this is the guy Poison was talking about.

“So, you’re the new guy keeping Party Poison’s bed warm, huh?”

Ghoul narrows his eyes but doesn’t say anything. “You’re awfully pretty but if I know Party you’re either fucking insane or you’ve got a huge fucking cock.”

Ghoul hates himself for blushing at that, but his face is already red from dancing so he hopes it’s not as obvious. “Well, I have no idea what he saw in you then, dickhead” he deadpans.

Vic puts a hand to his heart in faux offense. “Damn, you’re feisty! You must be real good in bed. Tell me, does Party still like being fucked like a woman or has he started taking it up the ass?”

Ghoul’s hands ball up into fists at his sides. “Well, wouldn’t you like to know? Clearly, you haven’t been getting any action, since you spend all of your time harassing people into talking about their sex lives in order to get your rocks off like some kind of socially inept weirdo.” Ghoul maintains his flat tone and neutral expression as he pops the caps off of two bottles with his pocket knife.

Valentine just chuckles and takes a step towards Ghoul, obviously trying to intimidate him. This guy has a few feet on him but that’s all he has. He’s gaunt and scrawny and Ghoul is already planning all the ways he’s going to bash his stupid fucking face in before he gives him a good reason.

“Right, if I remember anything about Party Poison it’s that you don’t get a sex life. He walks around in those short skirts and tight pants just to tease you but the minute you try to take them off, he’s like a chaste little school girl. It’s tragic really. He- she’s got such a nice body. For a trann-“

Yep, there it is! There really is not a feeling more satisfying than beating the absolute shit out of someone who deserves it, Ghoul decides as he tackles Valentine to the ground and starts punching that stupid fucking smirk off of his face. He manages to get a few good blows to Ghoul’s jaw and actually gives him a bloody nose. But this guy doesn’t have a chance against him but doesn’t want anyone else to know that. So he squirms and he manages to spit out a few nasty words just as a crowd starts to gather. It’s not a good party without one bloody fist fight or five, after all.

Ghoul pins Valentine down with one knee and he’s pinned to the ground with no chance of escape as Ghoul kicks his ass. He’s not talking anymore, surprisingly, when Ghoul stops hitting him as he applies more weight to his chest. One large hand wraps around his neck and he squeezes. Hard. Not enough to kill him, but enough to make him think that he’s going to.

With his hand wrapped around Valentine’s neck, Ghoul growls, “You leave my boyfriend and our crew alone, and keep his name out of your fucking mouth, you understand? Gossip travels fast around here so I’ll always find out. And when I do, I will not hesitate to hunt you down and make you beg me to slit your fucking throat.”

He looks eyes with Poison who is standing at the edge of the crowd as he drives the toe of his boot into Valentine’s ribs. He’s coughing blood up into the dirt as Ghoul walks over to his boyfriend and wraps an arm around his waist. They both head to the car, not saying anything. All of the fun feels like it’s been sucked out of their night and Ghoul is suddenly really tired.

Poison is quiet until they’re at the car and he pins Ghoul up against the side and starts feverishly making out with him.

“God, that was so fucking hot,” he breathes against Ghoul’s mouth. He’s suddenly hyper-aware of every touch- Poison’s hands on his waist, his thigh between his legs, his lips on his neck. “I didn’t even know you could do that.”

“What, you think I just stand around and look pretty?” He says with a smile.

“Usually, yeah!”

“Anyway I- I’m sorry I lost it back there. It’s not usually like me to start shit but that guy was just- just vile.”

“Yeah, that’s kind of Vic’s whole thing...”

“Are you like… okay? I know how it can be when you see an ex after a long time. Especially when they’re like that.”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Poison says dismissively as he crashes their mouths together again. They make out against the car for a few minutes before they pull back, panting.

“You’re deflecting, again,” Ghoul says once he catches his breath.

“Am not,” Party protests as he promptly starts to attack Ghoul’s neck. His mouth is always so soft and he knows just what to do to make Ghoul’s knees buckle. But he knows a distraction when he sees one.

“Poison, tell me what’s up with you,” he says firmly.

“Fine… Ghoulie, I want you to fuck me,” Party Poison says.

Ghoul manages to make a strangled choking sound before an actual coherent sentence can formulate on his tongue. “Seriously?! Here? In the car?”

Poison bites his lip and shakes his head. “On the hood of the car.”

He doesn’t want to admit it but he seriously contemplates it for a second. Party’s all flushed and sweaty from dancing, his hair pulled back and his eyes all wild. He’s beautiful, the kind of beautiful that makes Ghoul’s chest hurt. And he can’t lie and say that he hasn’t thought about sex with Party. (Constantly, in many different positions). But he loves this boy goddammit and he’s a fucking sap for him, even if he would never say that out loud.

Poison is trying to undo Ghoul’s belt buckle when he’s lifted up and sets him on the hood of the car. “Oh, we’re gonna play rough now, huh?” Party asks with a sexy smirk, spreading his legs a little too far so Ghoul can see up his skirt. Ghoul looks at Party sternly.

“I’m seriously worried about you, Party. Please just tell me what’s on your mind.”

Ghoul puts a gentle hand on his face and Party just sighs and smiles sadly, giving in. “Every time I see him, I try not to let him get to me and I- I don’t. He can’t hurt me anymore. He can’t have that power over me, I won’t give it to him. But he always goes after the people I care about now. And it… it makes me feel sick to my stomach to think that you guys have to deal with this creep because of me and I-“ he sighs again. “I also was thinking about how much he fucked up intimacy for me. I haven’t been with anyone since Vic and even though I joke and stuff I… I’m actually really scared.”

“So you hide this behind the guise of promiscuity?” Ghoul infers, though it’s more of a statement than a question.

“Thank you, Doctor Ghoul,” Poison teases as he kisses him softly.

“You know I… I don’t give a shit about the physical stuff. I want it, sure. But if you never want to have sex with me, I won’t complain. I just want you, I couldn’t care less about all that other shit.”

“Oh, I definitely am having sex with you just… not right now. You’re right I- I need to stop relying on it as a coping mechanism. Because I’m…” He sighs and concludes in a monotone voice: “worth more than that. Or whatever.”

Ghoul smiles. “Good.” After a beat he adds, “On a less serious note, were you serious about fucking on the car? Because I’m very much Not Against That.”

Party just giggles against his boyfriend’s mouth as Ghoul smoothes His dress down so it’s covering his legs properly. “I love you, Ghoulie,” he says softly.

“I love you, too, Baby.”

“Also, it’s probably better that we didn’t have sex now because I don’t have any condoms.” Ghoul just laughs against his shoulder, so full of love he’s drunk on it.