Can the Vegetarian Diet Save the Planet in the Long Run?

The vegetarian diet is defined as the uptake of foods mostly from plant origin (e.g. vegetables, fruits, seeds, whole grains, legumes, and nuts. It may also include milk and eggs depending on the type of vegetarian diet (Craig). There are many studies suggesting being vegetarian can save the planet in the long run. Future beliefs that converting to this type of diet can lessen animal killings for ethical concerns, reduce climate change, prevent noncommunicable diseases, and sustain the quality of life (Leitzmann).

Human population can be tripled in the next 50 years. Hence, the global economic issue with food supply for the next generation will be critically at risk (Vidal). By engaging ourselves to vegetarianism, we can prevent the risk because foods from plants are easier to cultivate compared with foods from animals. In the US, lands for agricultural crops were converted to livestock and poultry industries since many preferred meat for their diet. However, these industries have been destructing the planet by polluting the atmosphere, devastating the rainforests, and contaminating the aquatic ecosystems.

In addition, there is overheating of the planet due to the emission of greenhouse gases, such as methane and carbon dioxide from the chickens, pigs, cows, and sheep (Vidal). The wastes (manure and urine) of these animals were also polluting the underground waters by penetration of nitrogen, nitrates, and phosphorus to the soil seeping to the rivers. Ammonia was also produced from the livestock contributing to acid rain. These are some reasons for the factors aggravating climate change playing a role in global warming.

The effects of the livestock as mentioned above are the few shreds of evidence linked with the destruction of the planet. Therefore, replacing our diet with plant-based foods can save the planet in economic and environmental perspectives.

More essay samples you can find on the educational website answershark.com.