Status: In Progress

A Different World

Chapter 1

Warning: I'm not going to bash anyone Liason or Jasam related. However this isn't a Jasam Story....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The whole ride home Elizabeth couldn't believe what she had said to Nikolas. It was like she had been watching someone she didn't know anymore. As she got out of the car she watched Jason get Cam who was fast asleep in the back seat. Silently Elizabeth led the way to the front door unlocking it; then let Jason in watching him head upstairs to put Cam to bed. After a few minutes Elizabeth entered her home closing the door behind her. Without thinking about it Elizabeth found herself drawn to the picture of Jason the way he looked before.

“He's out for the night,” Jason said as he came down the stairs.

“That's good,” Elizabeth whispered almost as she turned to face him.

“What is it?” Jason asked knowing something was off.

“I've always defined myself by my relationships no matter who it was.....” Elizabeth frowned as she turned back to the picture taking it from the mantle.

“I think we both need a little time,” Jason agreed with her.

Slightly shaking her head Elizabeth found it hard as she really saw him for the first time.

“I need to stand on my own, and you have to go back to your home and life,” Elizabeth told him as she clutched the picture to her.

“Elizabeth,” Jason questioned her softly.

“Do you ever think about why you knew me? Why the name Jake meant something to you?” Elizabeth asked as she turned to face him again without answering him.

“Sure, from time to time,” Jason answered her.

“You left a family behind.... A wife and son who love you..” Elizabeth teared up as she spoke.

“What are you talking about?” Jason asked her seriously.

“This is you,” Elizabeth showed him a picture he'd seen more than once; as the tears trickled down her face.

“I cant' be.... If I was I'd feel it here,” Jason pointed to his heart.

“You and Sam went from being at odds to friends in a flash. Danny has felt something since before you were awake. Somehow your son knew who you were,” Elizabeth reasoned with him.

“How?” Jason stammered as he asked.

“Nikolas told me,” Elizabeth answered him honestly.

She could see the wheels in his mind spinning, and she knew this had to be hard for him to swallow. With a shaky breath Jason went to the couch taking a seat trying to gather himself.

“What now?” he asked not sure what came next.

“You need a DNA test to get yourself declared alive.... I can get Patrick to run the test for you,” Elizabeth wiped at her tears.

For a while they just remained still and silent not moving a muscle like stuck in a moment in time. When Elizabeth couldn't avoid putting it off any longer; she went to the front door opening up looking to Jason.

“Just go..... Please,”

Barely keeping it together Elizabeth tried to pull herself together. Slowly Jason got up from the couch walking over to the door not ready to leave. The pain in her eyes told him that he need to go for her sake, and Ric had put her through enough tonight without him adding to it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Walking into GH this time was different as he knew that it was an important part of his past. Lots of people had told him things about who he was suppose to be.... A lot of those stories surrounded this building or people who worked here. None of it had sparked a memory from his past or a familiar feeling. Quietly Jason got on the elevator pushing the button for the floor he needed. It wasn't a long ride before Jason was getting off the elevator heading down the corridor making his way to Patrick's office. Finally reaching his destination Jason knocked on the door hearing a come in from the other side.

“I hope I didn't,” Jason started to say.

“Actually I need the distraction.... Sam and I broke up,” Patrick admitted to the other man.

“Sorry, maybe I should come back,” Jason suggested feeling awkward.

“Please, being at work will help me a lot right now,” Patrick shook his head.

“Alright, I need my DNA ran against the hospital and criminal databases,” Jason told him; as Patrick motioned him to take a seat.

“You think you know who you are,” Patrick guessed as the other man took a seat.

“I just want it confirmed one way or the other. I don't want anyone to know until I know first,” Jason nodded slightly.

“Alright, I'll be right back with what I need to draw some blood for the test,” Patrick said as he excused himself from the room.

A few minutes later Patrick was back with the supplies which he laid out on the desk. Then he took the seat next to the other man, and with in a minute or two the blood was drawn.

“Painless,” Jason sighed as this was the easy part.

“I was a Phlebotomist in med school,” Patrick opened up a little bit.

“Don't let this out of your sight for a moment,” Jason said stressing how important this was.

“I'll be back as soon as the test results are in,” Patrick promised as he labeled the vile and cleaned up the desk.

“Right,” Jason whispered almost as Patrick left him alone in the office.

Alone in the office Jason wondered if maybe there was a chance Elizabeth was wrong; that Nikolas had been playing a cruel and mean joke on her that was far from funny. No, he had seen Nikolas with Elizabeth more than once before; he couldn't see Nikolas hurting Elizabeth for anything in the world. Jason didn't know what to do once he had proof of who he was. He'd still be in the dark without memories to connect him to his life and family. Yet he had a responsibility to his son if no one else in this town. There was a little boy who he had been taken from. His son..... Danny had tugged at his heart since the moment the little boy grabbed his leg inside these walls. Every time Jason saw Danny it was so easy and natural like breathing.... Never once had he dared to hope to think that one day there would be a child of his own. Now he had a little boy who looked so much like the man he was before.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Minutes turned into hours as Jason waited for the results of his DNA test. The waiting was a lot harder than he had bargain for. It felt like he was holding his breath waiting for everything he was told to be confirmed. Unable to just sit Jason walked back and forth across the office as the waiting was getting to him. Suddenly Jason heard the door open causing him to look to see Patrick coming in the room.

“Jason Morgan,” Patrick called him by his name.

“So I'm told,” Jason agreed with him.

“This proves it without a shadow of doubt,” Patrick handed him the test results.

“Yeah,” Jason sighed as he took the test and went taking a seat.

Silence filled the room as Patrick watch Jason digest the news; that he was the real one and only Jason Morgan. Patrick couldn't imagine how it felt knowing that he had been walking around in his own hometown all this time.

“This has to be overwhelming.... If you want I'll help you break the news,” Patrick offered softly breaking the ice.

“Could you just keep this to yourself for now? I need to do this myself,” Jason said thankful for the offer.

“Sure, I'm here as a friend or doctor,” Patrick replied as Jason stood up.

With a nod Jason left Patrick in the office; as he headed back to the elevator not sure where to go.

“Jake, are you okay?” came Monica's voice making Jason stop and turn to look her way.

“I....” Jason started to say; not sure what to say.

“You look a little lost,” Monica walked over to him.

“Lost, but found,” Jason joked halfheartedly.

“I could call Michael; if you need a friend,” Monica suggested as she reached out touching his shoulder.

“Things happen for a reason... I think I'm suppose to tell you this first,” Jason shook his head no.

“What is it?” Monica asked him softly.

“I found out who I am today, and Patrick just confirmed it with a DNA test,” Jason told her honestly.

“Wow, who are you,” Monica asked him.

“Take a look,” Jason replied in an almost whisper; as he held out the test to her.

Gingerly Monica took the paper from him, and opening it she starting to read the results.

“Oh my.... I don't......” Monica teared up as she looked at the man before her.

“Yeah, I know,” Jason agreed with the sentiment.

With a shaky hand Monica reached out to touch her son's cheek to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

“I'd hug you if you didn't mind,” Monica whispered almost.

“It's okay,” Jason replied softly.

“My baby boy....” Monica stammered as she hugged her son not wanting to ever let go.

Although wanting to hang on Monica let him go after a minute not wanting to make him uncomfortable.

“Sam? Danny?”

He knew the question was coming from the moment he let the secret out.

“I need at least tonight to just digest everything. Tomorrow I can go see them both,” Jason shrugged as he was nervous about seeing Sam and Danny.

He knew about the great love that Sam had with “Jason”.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not about to chance a run in with Carly Jason couldn't return to the MC. Yet he couldn't go to Elizabeth's either because she needed time just like he did. He wasn't ready to face the life he had before, so Jason found himself riding around on his bike all night. Hours ticked by as he rode as fast as he could until he couldn't think anymore. Sometime right before dawn Jason pulled over in the parking lot of a small country church. Killing the engine Jason kicked the kickstand down and got off his bike. With a deep breath Jason walked up to the doors of the old building. It surprised him when he found the door unlocked at this hour. Slowly going inside Jason closed the door behind him. Candles lit the room from each side of the rows of windows. The feeling seemed like something fitting of a wedding almost. Jason walked up the aisle between the pews about halfway before taking a seat on the left side. Not long passed before an older man dressed in blue jean overalls and a red and white plaid shirt came from a door behind the pulpit.

“Mornin, I'm Pastor Kyle Winters,” Pastor Winters introduced himself as he made his way over to the other man.

“Jason Morgan,” Jason said almost hesitantly.

“You look like you've been through the wringer, son,” Pastor Winters commented as he took a seat in the pew in front of Jason.

“It's just started,” Jason sighed as he looked to the older man.

“Well I'm a good listener; as long as you talk in my right ear,” Pastor Winters tried to lighten the younger man's mood.

“Soon I'm going to be between who I was and who I don't remember being. For over about a year I've lived and continue to live without memories of my past. Also the people who knew the old me thought I was dead for years,” Jason tried to explain to him.

“I have a feeling you have a lot of people who love you very much. Call it a gut feeling,” Pastor Winters said with a knowing look.

“Will they love the man I am now if I never remember. Will who I am be enough?” Jason questioned with a sigh.

“Those who really love you will,” Pastor Winters tried to reassure the man.

“I probably should be going,” Jason said as light started coming in from the outside.

“Do me a favor.... I live in the house next door; come have breakfast with an old man,” Pastor Winters invited Jason to his home.

“You don't have to,” Jason insisted thinking he was just being nice.

“I'm just a little bit lonely since my Becca passed. Usually someone wonders by about breakfast time, and like to have a little company every now and again. Plus it's nice to have someone who isn't studying me.... My church members mean well.... I'm thankful for them,” Pastor Winters smiled warmly.

“Maybe I could stay a while for breakfast I guess. Thank you,” Jason replied as they both stood to their feet.