Devputra

Prologue

The chill breeze caused the trees to sway. The moon was full but the canopies were thick. Darkness surrounded the floor of this ancient forest. If one didn't pay proper attention, it would be easy for the thorns of a poisonous plant to prick or a venomous snake to bite. In this death-promising floor of the forest hid a woman. Her soft skin was covered with cuts and bruises all over her body. Her neatly braided hair was now a clear mess. Her hazel eyes scanned the surroundings for a possible threat. At a distance, she could see the faint glow of a torch. She moved behind a thick bush, making sure that her jewellery didn't make any sound. Yes, this would give her the perfect cover. Now she could see men emerging out of the trees. The torches they held lit their way and gave the forest an eerie golden glow.

'Where did that woman go?'

'I don't know why Maharaja is obsessed with her. He has several gorgeous and talented women at his disposal.'

'The ex-queen of Devaloka is not just any other pretty woman. Her participation in court was highly appreciated. Indragupta might have been a great king but Rani Avantika was even better in ruling the kingdom. Maharaja always had an eye on her. He still does, and that is why if we return empty-handed, there won't be any hands to be empty.'

Avantika had to stay strong, even though her husband had been brutally killed. If not for herself, at least for the life inside her womb. The men may have been dangerous but Avantika is known to take risks. The wind was strong and caused enough rustling in order to cover the sound of her movement. She couldn't remain in the dark. It would only be a matter of hours before death would come searching for her in this dangerous forest. So she followed the men. She smiled at their stupidity. Is this the best of men Bhuvaneshwar had? Surely if she meant so much to him, he should have sent the best. He definitely had other plans. Devaloka was never his ambition. The power, though, would help increase their family business. The Aryas are known for trade. They are incredibly rich but that is never enough for them. They always want to be richer. Those scoundrels ought to know that the throne is not meant for businessmen, it is meant for talented warriors. She won't rest until she gets back what is rightfully her's. It was only a matter of time.

All of a sudden, there was silence. None of those men talked. Avantika couldn't see what was happening from where she was but there was light so they had to be there. She waited for some time but she sensed no movement. Eventually, she ran out of patience and risked a peek. All the men lay on the forest floor with their throats slit, blood oozing out of their wounds. She looked around to make sure there was no one and then walked up to the lifeless bodies of the soldiers that Bhuvaneshwar had sent. The cut was made at the perfect spot that would give these soldiers a quick and sure death. The torches stood on the ground on a heap of sand for support. This had to be the work of the Shani tribe. A tribe of highly skilled assassins that the entire kingdom feared. If they had sensed the presence of these soldiers, they ought to have known that she was there too. Why did they spare her?

That's when she sensed some movement. She turned around as swiftly as possible with a hand grabbing the hilt of the dagger hidden under the silk fabric of her saree. Three men wearing cloaks with a hood that masked their faces stood before her. All of them had a brooch that was shaped like a crow, the symbol of their tribe. The man at the centre was aiming an arrow at Avantika. She had nothing to fear except for the death of her unborn child in her womb but she didn't show it on her face. Instead, she smiled and kept her calm.

'Many people want me dead but I am sure that none have the courage to ask the Shanis for help. What is it that you want?' Avantika asked.

'You have witnessed a kill. We cannot spare your life.' The man aiming the arrow at her replied with a smile. He made it clear that he was the one leading the mission. He pulled his arrow further, preparing himself to make his next kill of the day. The two other men held onto the hilts of their respective swords, preparing themselves for a fight. It did not matter to them that she was a woman who was seven months pregnant, the Shanis never underestimate their opponents.

'I am well aware of your laws. The Palace Library has several ancient books that talk about your tribe and their practices. I have witnessed a kill but killing me is not the only option you have. You can also let me join your tribe and I will willingly do so.'

The Shani maybe assassins but they were also strict followers of their laws, they worshipped them. At that moment, Avantika was grateful to have spent some time reading about the Shanis in the palace when the murder of two merchants was being investigated. These men clearly did not have the power to accept a stranger into the tribe so they would have to take them to their leader. A plan was forming in her mind. If she gets accepted, she could affect the rule of Bhuvaneshwar and she knew exactly how to do it.

The men did not know how to respond to her demand.

'We need Pitaji's approval. Come with us.'

>>>o<<<