Forever Yours

14 May 1835

Dear Frederick,

I leave Langford two weeks from today and return to my dull life in the Capitol. From then on, I shall have little opportunity, if any, to escape it. My father allowed me to finish out this term at Langford Academy but I am doubtful he will let me return in the fall. I am not too torn apart by it. With you gone I’ve been forced to forge a friendship with Lucas McCarthy and Elliot Cobb. They give me some company at meal times, and they are helping me to distance myself with the nasty rumors that have spread since you left, but they will never live up to the friend I found in you. I can see very little reason to fight to return to this school now that you’re gone.

If you’re reading this, my love, please send word of how you’re doing. I gently remind you it has been two months since we parted and I am still yet to hear from you. I can understand your hesitance to reply. Our situation is rather precarious, and you would be wise to distance yourself from me. Nevertheless, I make my selfish request that, against your better judgement, you send reply. I live in constant agony not knowing how my most beloved is fairing in the wake of this scandal. Sin perhaps was the love we shared at Langford, and I will not endeavor to persuade you or anyone else otherwise. What I cannot silently accept as immoral is the friendship we shared, and the continuation of that friendship, if only via post.

I won’t be in Langford after the 28th, so you’ll have to send letters elsewhere. Once I’m back home I’ll write you with instructions on how to reach me.

Yours,
Robert