Forever Yours

26 March 1837

Dear Frederick,

Today marks two years since last we saw each other. In all that time my love for you has not waned in the slightest. These days, I may lessen my suffering by putting you out of mind, but there are still those occasions I cannot turn my thoughts from you. Today is one such occasion. As I wandered through the garden this afternoon, fond memories of our time together captured my mind.

Do you remember that frigid winter night on which we shared our first kiss? It was a Friday evening, and I had gone to visit my Aunt Evangeline for the weekend, bringing you along with me, as I knew in my absence you would spend the weekend in solitude. After a lively supper, you excused yourself, thoroughly worn out from the evening’s activity, and sat on the steps of the back porch smoking a cigar. I came and sat beside you. I rest my head against your shoulder, and in a moment of courage I don’t doubt you quickly came to regret, you leaned in close and kissed my lips. Then, once our lips had parted, before I could say a single word, you fled the scene! You refused to speak to me for the rest of the night and returned to the school the next morning before I had risen from bed. How amusing your embarrassment does seem now. Though at the time, it was most distressing. You dared to steal from my lips which had never kissed another, then left me with no explanation! I was forced to wonder if you shared those feelings I were developing for you or if perhaps the act had been done as some sort of poorly planned joke. I would have my answer soon enough.

Looking even further into the past I remember the very first time we met. It was at the start of the term, our last afternoon of freedom before classes began. You were just arriving and trudged through the courtyard pulling a heavy trunk behind you. I, meanwhile, was paraded around by the headmaster, who wished to give his esteemed new student a personal tour. I saw you trip over a tree root, landing flat on your face and I rushed over to lend a hand. And that was the first time those sharp green eyes of yours met my own; the first time I gazed upon your freckled face and sandy blonde hair.

Finding me to be in the company of the headmaster you were noticeably uneasy. You lingered only long enough to offer a brief word of thanks and answer my inquiry about your name before you ran off—this seems to be a habit of yours, my dear. So quickly did you depart, you failed to notice that you had left behind your pocket watch. For me, this was excellent news, because it gave me excuse to seek you out that night at supper.

The last night we spent together at the academy, you left that same pocket watch on my bedside table. I informed you of this as you rushed off the next morning, and in your hurry you insisted I may return it the next time we met. Every day since, I have carried that watch with me wherever I go, so that if I am ever so fortunate as to meet you again, I may return it to you as promised.

I will never forget that night and the many which preceded it. I shall not put the details of our sin in writing, but I am sure you may remember them as clearly and with the same fondness that I do.

Wherever you are, my love, I hope you may find the same comfort in these memories that I do. Though we may never know such pleasure again, no one may rob us of that which we have already enjoyed. Even the briefest of moments with you, my dearest Frederick, offers enough joy to last a lifetime.

Affectionately yours,
Robert