For the Rest of Our Lives

Ten (2003)

Summer approaches fast, and when school lets out Sally and I are cheering loudly. The next year we're going to be 11 and in 5th grade. The years after that would take us to another school building entirely, and that was a terrifying concept to us at the time.

"What do you think middle school and high school will be like?" Sally asks on the final bus ride home for the year. She has to talk a little more loudly than she normally would; the other children on the bus are loud and excitable. The year is done.

"I don't know," I say. "Unless it's like it is on TV. It sounds horrible."

"I'm ready for it," Sally says. "More time away from home."

Silence hangs between us then, for the rest of the ride home. I think on that a long while. More time away from home. I wonder if I would ever want more time away from home. But my family is complete; Sally's... Well.

The bus comes to a stop then, at the little stop on our block. We got off the bus, and walk with a small group home. Liam, Keegan, Alice, and Ron are with us. We're a rowdy bunch, and that's how we like it to be. Sally is smiling as long as we're all laughing and joking around.

"I'm scared," Keegan says suddenly. We all stop. Sally and I are balancing ourselves walking on the curb. Alice, Liam, and Ron are holding sticks- Liam and Ron dragging them along the ground.

"Why?" Alice breaks the silence.

"I'm going to a new school next year," he says quietly. We all gasp. He starts to turn as red as his hair. "I'm sorry I didn't say before. We're moving to another state..."

Alice starts crying. Sally and I jump off the curb, and Sally grabs my hand. I squeeze her hand tightly. I hope she and I never have to move away from each other.

Ron and Liam move in to hug Keegan, and he pats them both on the back. Alice joins in, and then after a while Sally and I do as well. We all stand there saying comforting words to Keegan. None of us have ever had to move before. The thought terrifies me; I can't imagine what is going through Keegan's head.

"I didn't even get to say bye to Ryan," Keegan whispers. He's crying too now. Ryan started homeschooling earlier in the year.

"Maybe you still can," Sally says. She grabs my hand and Keegan's hand. "Let's go to his house! Maybe his mom will let us see him!"

"Yeah!" We cheer as a group.

And suddenly we're running the way to Ryan's house, smiling through tears. Ryan's mom answers the door, and says he can come play for a while. Keegan breaks the news to Ryan and then we spend the rest of the afternoon playing in Ryan's back yard.