For the Rest of Our Lives

Twenty Four (2008)

Sally comes over Sunday, and I'm so excited to see her that I completely forget to tell her my big news. Sally is over the moon to see me as well. She runs down the stone path toward my house the second she's out of her aunt's car, and I'm up on my feet running toward her as well. She throws her arms around me and heat pools in my chest.

"Luna!" she yells, her voice so loud it echoes through the neighbourhood. We're both laughing now as I hold onto her, rocking her back and forth. But she's so tall now that I'm wondering who is really doing the rocking here. She draws back and holds my face in her hands.

"Hi," I say. My grin is so bright and reflected back at me in her green eyes. She's smiling too, and there is a dim light in her eyes. Dim, but it is definitely a light.

"I missed you!" she says as she rests her forehead against mine.

"I missed you too," I say.

"Come on, let's go play video games," she says. She draws back and grabs my hand, turning and practically dragging me up the rest of the path to my house.

"You girls have fun! I'll be back to pick you up later, Sally!" her aunt calls after us.

"Bye, aunt Dorothea!" Sally calls over her shoulder. I hear the car drive off right as Sally's opening the door to my house.

"Sally!" Nathan calls from somewhere within. "You're here!"

We've only just got the front door shut when Nathan comes running on up to us, and Sally catches him easily in her arms. Once more a bit of light returns to Sally's eyes. My heart feels warmer.

"Hey there, buddy," Sally says. Nathan draws back from her and they're both grinning at each other.

"I missed you Sally!" he says. He turns to look at me and shoots me a wink. "What game are we going to play today?" Sally raises a brow and looks at me; she caught the wink.

"I don't know, that's probably up to Luna," she says.

"Zombies!" Nathan says, before turning and running to the living room. Sally straightens back up and laughs.

"Okay, kiddo." Sally turns back to me again. "Zombies?"

"Yeah, there's no arguing against it today," I say with a shrug. "He's obsessed with them lately."

"What was the wink about?" she says quietly. I take in a breath. Now or never?

"I don't know," I say instead. I shrug again, Sally shrugs, and we make our way to the living room together. My heart is pounding in my ears.
♠ ♠ ♠
BORNS - Electric Love (Oliver Remix) is the song I'm listening to while writing chapter 29.