For the Rest of Our Lives

Four (1999)

Summer has finally arrived. Next year Sally and I will be in first grade. It's Sally's birthday this weekend, and my family is decorating the house and yard for her seeing as her father doesn't have anything planned.

I wait for Sally in the living room, right by the front door. I swing my legs back and forth in the air, since my feet still don't reach the floor. I hold a rice crispy treat in one hand and a glass of orange juice in the other.

There are cartoons being displayed across the tv screen, but I can hardly focus on the plot for any of them. I can't wait for Sally to arrive. I can't wait for her to see the way my parents decorated the place for her. She's going to love it; the decorations are ocean themed, and we both love anything ocean themed.

Hours pass and Sally still hasn't arrived. My mother has made me lunch, and I've eaten it already. I wish Sally could have been there to eat with me. I wonder why she hasn't come yet, and wonder if she'll be coming at all. My mother assures me that everything will be okay no matter what happens.

In that moment my mother and father exchange a look. My father nods, and my mother bites back a smile. She leans down in front of me and places her hands on the chair arms.

"So, Luna," she says. "Your father and I have some very big news to share with you. You're going to have a little brother or sister."

"What!?" I exclaim, bringing my hands up to my mouth. This news is wild. Wilder than the time they announced we were going on vacation. I have no idea how to process it or how to feel about it, but I settle on feeling excited. I won't be lonely anymore when Sally isn't around.

"Yes! How do you feel, knowing you're going to be a big sister," she says. She's still smiling widely. My father is smiling as well.

I can't help but smile as well, hiding it behind my clasped hands. What do I say to them?

"I'm so excited!" I say. "You don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet?"

"No, not yet," my mother says, smiling still. She pulls me close and rocks with me when I reach out for her.

"Oh my god!" I say. "I'm going to be a big sister!"

Sally never comes over that day. But I'm too lost in the news of the sibling on the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Seeing as I have thirteen parts already completed on Wattpad, I've decided I'll bring a few more over here for now and then attempt to switch to a regular update schedule.