For the Rest of Our Lives

Six (2000)

The weekend my brother is born, I'm left to stay at Sally's house with her and her mom. My dad told me that my mom's water broke, and they have to go to the hospital so they can get my brother out of her stomach. I think about how much that must hurt to just take a baby out of someone's stomach. And I begin to worry for my mom.

"My mommy's going to be okay, right Mrs. Danver?" I ask her. She looks down at me with her mouth agape for a brief moment, and then she smiles and laughs. There's a faint bruise on her arm when she brushes her blonde hair back from her face.

"Oh, of course, my dear," she says quietly. "Your mommy's going to be just fine. She's going to push that little baby boy out, and then your mommy and daddy are going to come back home to you. And you're going to be a big sister. Are you excited?"

"I guess," I say. "What do you mean she's going to push him out? Is that going to kill him?" Mrs. Danver places her hand over her mouth, covering up a huge grin and a snort.

"No, sweetie," she says with laughter in her voice. "Of course not. You'll understand when you're older." She pats me on the top of my head, then looks over at Sally. "You two have fun now. I'm going to go and make some lunch. It's lucky your father is away right now."

Mrs. Danver seems to shrink into herself a bit, shivering and rubbing her hands up and down her arms. I look between her and Sally, but Sally is just staring blankly up at her mom.

"He wouldn't be letting me in the kitchen," Mrs. Danver whispers. "Okay! I'll be back." And then she disappears from the living room into the kitchen.

"Is your mommy okay?" I ask Sally. Sally looks at me for a moment.

"Yeah, she's just fine," Sally says with a nod. She looks down at the table, where colouring books lay spread out before us. She picks up a crayon and starts colouring- very neatly- in the image of a tomato drawing printed on the page.

I watch for a minute, wondering if she really meant it. I want to ask her more about her daddy, but it seems like a forbidden subject. I sigh and pick up a crayon as well. Only I'm not neat like Sally is; I'm very rough with the crayons, and don't stay inside the lines. Sally scolds me for it and tries for a bit to teach me how to 'colour properly', but I just don't get it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Constantly reading and rereading the chapters I have up on wattpad are great in assisting me in catching spelling and tense errors. I'm not used to writing in present tense. I would also like to point out that this style of story is completely different to what I typically write. It's great that someone is enjoying it.