For the Rest of Our Lives

Seven (2000)

My brother has been in this world for a good several months now. While my life has been going fairly well, Sally's just seems to keep getting darker. This is the year Sally's mom dies.

Mom says that the police told her Sally's mom fell down the stairs. But my mom doesn't believe it for a second; she says that Darrel Danver is a cold blooded murder- whatever that means. My dad scolds her for speaking like that in front of me. She tells him she doesn't care; let the whole world hear it. But no one else seems suspicious.

My mom takes Sally and I to the funeral. My dad stays at home with Nathan, my little brother. There is a small gathering of people around, but Sally's daddy isn't anywhere to be seen. She grips my hand tightly, her face stoic, but I know that on the inside she must be hurting a lot.

It starts off sunny outside, but soon enough clouds are rolling in and covering up the sun. It happens quickly, and a light drizzle starts. My mom holds up the umbrella she brought over Sally and I. I thought she was silly for bringing it, but now I understand that adults must have some kind of weather sensing magic.

Sally squeezes my hand tighter, her eyes widening as we watch her mother's casket lowered into the ground. Sally's aunt, Dorothea, is standing beside us and breaks out into tears. She cries loudly, drawing Sally away from me and into her arms. That's when Sally starts to cry too. She clings to her aunt, and my mom puts her arm around my shoulders. She gives my shoulder a squeeze, and I look up at her. My mom is watching Sally and her aunt with tears in her own eyes.

I remember my mom had a sister once. She doesn't talk about her much, but she's been dead a long while, she says. I start to wonder what death is like. I'm told there's a heaven and god is there waiting for everyone who dies. Some people tell me that we're all his angels, and he misses us very much, and has a special time he picks for every one of us to return home. I think it's all a load of crap. I learned that phrase from the TV a couple months back.

We stand there as it drizzles until my mom tells Sally and her aunt they can stay at our place for a while. Sally's aunt agrees.