For the Rest of Our Lives

Eight (2001)

It's been a rough year for Sally. After her mother passed the light in her eyes has decreased even more. I start to really take the time to enjoy the moments when she forgets everything and starts shining again. Her aunt starts fighting for custody of her.

My brother is walking now, and thinks he's talking but he's just babbling. It's funny though, and Sally and I decide that he's cute after all. He's not gross like the other boys- except when mom has to change his diapers.

Sally and I study together a lot, when her father isn't around. Her father is starting to be around less and less often. This makes Sally relax a little more. But when he is around, she's shut down and quiet. She tells me not to ask.

I hold her hand and nod. We continue to study together, while my mom and dad coo at my brother in the other room.

"Keegan and Ryan are starting to get taller," I point out. "They're taller than me now."

"Even I'm taller than you now," Sally grins. My mouth falls open, and she ruffles my hair.

"Shut up, literally everyone's taller than me now except Nathan," I say. "And he can't even talk! It's not fair."

"Life isn't fair," Sally says. I look up at her. "My aunt says it a lot."

"She still trying to get you to live with her?" I ask.

"Yeah," Sally says. "I don't know why I just can't already. I don't wanna be around my daddy any more." She covers her mouth and looks at me briefly after that sentence escapes her. Then she refocuses on the schoolwork laid out before us. "Forget I said that."

"Okay," I agree. Part of me doesn't think I should forget. The other part of me wants to forget just to be respectful of her wishes. My mom has been teaching me about respect lately. I haven't been bad; she just thinks it's a good thing for me to learn at my age.

Later that night, Sally and I are laying back in the grass and staring up at the stars. Silence stretches between us, almost as far as the void full of stars above us. I want to break it- but I don't know what to say.

Sally stretches her arms out to her sides. I stretch my arms out too, and starts to smile.

"Wanna go catch some lightning bugs?" she asks, turning her head so she can look at me. I grin back at her.

"Of course," I say. "I wonder if our fingers will glow if we smash their butts!" Sally and I burst into laughter as we get to our feet on the grass.

We run back indoors, sneak an empty jar from the bin in the kitchen, and then rush back outside. The capturing of lighting bugs begins. We only catch three before we're called back inside; Sally's aunt is here to pick her up. I wish she'd get to spend the night with me instead.
♠ ♠ ♠
My goal for this story- as the chapters are really short- is to spin out about 2-10 chapters every weekend. After all, I did squeeze out 11 over last weekend.