Sequel: Battle Symphony
Status: This story is complete! If you liked it, be sure and read the next installment! (Coming soon)

Breaking the Habit

These Things I Wish I Didn't Know

-Michelle-
The next morning, we were cleared to go home.
Chester carried the car seat with the baby, while his other arm was around my waist, holding me upright while I walked down the hall.
“You okay baby?” he asked.
“I told you I’m fine babe, you need to focus on Brynlee.” I replied.
“She’s asleep, Michelle. She’s fine.” He kissed my hair.

I tried not to think too much into it, but Chester had been acting different since he came back to the hospital yesterday, overly affectionate and concerned, more so than he had been for most of both pregnancies thus far.
I’d been racking my brain, trying to figure out what the deal could be, but between the baby and all the excitement, I was exhausted.

In the car, I sat in the front seat with him, while the baby slept in the back.
“Chester, are you okay? You seem, different.” I commented, lighting a cigarette.
“No, I’m fine baby. Why do you ask?” He merely glanced away from the road.
“You’re just not acting like your usual self today.” I told him.
“What do you mean?” he smiled.
“Something’s off with you. I can’t put my finger on it, but something is different.” I glanced over my shoulder at the sleeping baby.
“I’m happy, babe. Our family is finally complete. No need to get weirded out on me. I’m just happy for us, that’s all.” He squeezed my hand reassuringly.
“I’m just ready to be home, so we can get in the swing of this parenting thing.” I said.
“We’ve got another thirty minutes, love.” he replied.
“Is your family going to come visit when we get settled?” I asked.
He hesitated, shaking his head, “No, they had to head home. Peter had a work emergency, and Christy had to get back to her kids.” He said.
“That’s too bad, I looked forward to getting to know all of them better.” I said.
“They said they’d come visit again as soon as they could.” Chester took the cigarette from me, and took a drag, “These will kill you, you know.”
I laughed and took it back, “So will a lot of things, but I’ll take my chances.”
He stopped at a red light, and leaned over to kiss me, “Just don’t go dying on me any time soon.” he whispered.
I smiled against his lips, “I won’t, I promise.”

We got home and he took the baby in the house, putting her in the crib before coming back to help me.
“Baby, I can walk, thank you.” I put my arm around his shoulders.
“I know, but I want to help. Brynn is already in the crib, she didn’t even wake up when I moved her.” He opened the front door and helped me inside.
I headed for the couch, but he grabbed my hand, “Baby, why don’t you go lie down? Try and get some sleep while the baby sleeps.” he said.
I nodded, “True. If I don’t, I may never sleep again.” I chuckled.
“I’m just going to clean up the house a little bit while you’re both sleeping. I’ll be quiet I swear.” he kissed my forehead and smiled.
“Okay, baby.” I smiled back.

-Chester-
She went down the hall to the bedroom and closed the door.
I started in the kitchen, washing the dishes and taking out the trash.
While I was folding clothes, someone knocked on the front door.

I walked into the hallway and opened the door, “Hey Mike, Kayla.” I smiled.
“Hey, how are you guys settling in? Where’s Michelle and the baby?” Kayla asked.
“We’re settling in okay, they’re both in the bedroom asleep.” I told her.
“Well, how are you doing then?” She asked, setting Milo down in the floor.
“I’m fine, just trying to clean the place up a little bit.” I returned to folding clothes.
“You sure? You look beat.” Mike said.
“Oh I am exhausted, but it’s worth it.” I smiled.
“Did you enjoy your visit with your family?” Mike asked.
I put down the shirt I was folding, “Mike, I understand what you were trying to do, and I appreciate it, but there’s a reason I haven’t talked to them in so long. My dad is pushy, vindictive and condescending, and I don’t really want him in mine or my daughter’s lives. He tried to convince me to leave Michelle because of everything that’s happened, telling me what a bad person she is and everything. Michelle has made mistakes, lord knows so have I, but we’ve dealt with it, and are moving on with our lives and we don’t need him to do so.” I said.
“I’m sorry Chester, I didn’t know. I thought it would be good for both of you to see them.” Mike said.
“It would’ve been, had my dad minded his own business. If it had just been Pete and Christy, it would have been more pleasant.” I sat on the couch.
“Does Michelle know about any of this?” he asked carefully.
“No, I told her they had to go home early, I didn’t want her to know that my dad doesn’t like her.” I said.
“Hey hey gang!” Chauntelle called walking in.
“Hey.” I smiled.
She hugged me, “Where’s my sister?”
“She and the baby are sleeping.” I told her.
“I should probably go wake her up, seeing as how we’ve got company.” I shrugged.
“No, no. Let her sleep, poor thing is exhausted. We just wanted to stop by and check in on you guys.” Mike said.
“She’d want to see everyone, really.” I stood, heading for the kitchen.
Chauntelle followed me, “You got coffee?” she asked.
“I’ll start some.” I smiled at her.
I wanted to kiss her, but I knew I couldn’t with everyone around.
“Does anyone know?” She leaned on the counter next to me.
I shook my head, “Nope. Nobody knows a thing.” I glanced up at her.
“My sister ask any questions?” I asked.
“No, like I said, she thought I was with my family.” I started the coffee pot.
“We should do that again sometime.” She said, smirking.
“What about Michelle?” I asked, looking toward the hallway.
“There are ways to work around my sister, trust me. You already know that as soon as she can, she’s going to start spreading her legs for him again.” She nodded toward the living room.
“You really think so?” I sat at the table.
“Chester, he’s in love with her, and she obviously has feelings for him too, or they wouldn’t have been together after she left you. I mean, she admitted that you were bigger, and why in the hell would anyone downsize for someone they didn’t have feelings for?” She asked.
I chuckled, “Maybe you’re right, but I still think she did it just for the sex. She couldn’t get it from me, so she had to get it somewhere, and when she left me, she knew he was a safe bet, that he’d give her anything she wanted because he was in love with her. I don’t think she’s in love with him, because when they were together, she was cheating on him with me.” I said.
Chauntelle glanced over her shoulder to make sure we were alone, and she kissed me, hard.
“Stop coming up with reasons not to do it, and just go with the primal urge.” she whispered.
I heard the bedroom door open, and I stepped away from her, turning to the sink.
“Hi sweetheart, Hi Chaun.” Michelle said, walking in.
“Hi sis, how’d you sleep?” She asked.
“Not long enough.” Michelle sat down at the table.
“Baby awake?” I asked.
She shook her head, “Not yet. Shouldn’t be too much longer before she’s hungry again though.” She replied.
“Hey there she is.” Mike walked into the kitchen and leaned down to hug Michelle.
He kissed her cheek, and Chauntelle gave me a look.
“Hi sweetie.” Michelle smiled at him.
“Brynn still asleep?” he asked, sitting beside her.
“Yes, but she’ll be hungry again any minute now.” Michelle answered.
“How are you feeling?” He reaches out and tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear.
“Tired, sore, but I’m okay.” Michelle shrugs.
Chauntelle nudged me with her elbow and I looked at her.
“Look at the way he’s sitting, his body language. He’s doing everything he can to be as close to her as possible. And she’s letting him.” She whispered.
“Chaun, he’s just being nice to her, he’s always like that.” I said.
She gave me a look, and looked back at them.
Mike was talking to her, and she was just smiling at him.
Suddenly, Brynlee’s cry cut through the quiet, and Michele stood, “I’m going to feed her, then I’ll bring her out to see everyone once she’s changed.”
“You need help?” I offered.
She smiled, “No baby, I can handle it. But if I do, I’ll call for you.” She turned and walked down the hall.
“So, you still got a thing for my sister or something? Because you two were awful close just then.” Chauntelle said.
“Chauntelle Elizabeth!” I said.
“What?? You saw it too.” She shrugged.
“Oh no, no. Of course not. I was just talking to her. It’s not like that anymore. We’ve moved past all of that.” Mike said.
“Could have fooled me, the way you were smiling like a fool, and playing with her hair.” Chauntelle gave him a look.
“Her hair was in her face. I just moved it. It’s nothing like you think, Chauntelle. Chester knows, don’t you?” He looked at me.
I nodded, “It’s as innocent as can be, Chaun. I promise.”
“My ass. He’s low-key flirting with her right in front of your face, and you’re playing stupid. You let him get away with it and Michelle is going to think it’s okay. She’s going to hurt you again.” She crossed her arms.
“Everyone stop trying to look out for me. I can look out for myself, thank all of you very much.” I snapped.
“Fine, get your heart broken again. But don’t say I didn’t try to fucking warn you.” Chauntelle replied.
The loudness attracted Michelle’s attention, and she came into the kitchen.
“What in the fuck is going on in here?” She was holding the baby, bouncing her.
“Nothing. People can’t seem to mind their damn business that’s all. Nothing you should concern yourself with.” I turned to the fridge to get a beer.
“I heard my name, therefore, I am involved somehow. What is going on?” Michelle gave me a look of determination.
“I just thought that you and Mike were getting awful close earlier when you were at the table together. Didn’t want him getting any ideas about trying to make a move on you again.” Chauntelle said.
“Oh please Chaun. It is nothing like that. He’s being friendly, and that’s all there is to it.” Michelle handed the baby to Kayla, who’d been silently standing just out of sight, listening.
“They all start out friendly, and then you end up on your back with your legs open. But for you, that’s just another Saturday.” She snapped.
“Oh really? Is that why you fucked my husband on the couch yesterday while I was in the hospital tending to his newborn daughter and your newborn niece?!” Michelle gave both of us a dirty look.
“What?! You know about that?” I spun on my heels to look at her.
She rolled her eyes, “Yeah, I know about that. What you didn’t realize, is that your brother and sister came back up here after you left, and talked to me, said they didn’t know where you were. So I gave them the address and sent them to check on you. Peter walked up to the door and saw you plowing my sister on the couch. They came back and told me everything he saw. I chose not to say anything, because I don’t really have much room to talk, but I’m speaking out now, because YOU,” she pointed at Chauntelle, “Think it’s okay to degrade and insult me for being a slut, but you are no better.” She has tears on her face.
“Michelle, I’m sorry.” I pleaded.
“Sorry?! You fucked my SISTER the day I gave birth to our DAUGHTER!!” She screamed.
I fucking lost my cool, “Only because YOU FUCKED MY BEST FRIEND THE DAY AFTER WE GOT MARRIED!!” I got in her face.
“Both if you knock it off! Quit fucking yelling in front of these kids.” Mike stepped between us.
Michelle looked at Milo and Brynlee, Who was staring at her curiously.
“Well then I guess it’s time for the truth to come out then.” She smiled at the baby.
“What the hell are you talking about?” Chauntelle asked.
Michelle looked at me, “I lied, Chester. I told you what you wanted to hear.” She shrugged.
“Which is what??” I asked, throwing my hands up.
Silently, she turned and went down the hall.
We all looked at each other, confused.
Michelle returned with something in her hands, “I did what I had to do for us.” She handed it to me.
It was a Manila envelope, with a paper inside.
I pulled the paper out, scanning the page.
My eyes grew, and I looked at her, “The baby isn’t mine.” I said shakily.
Everyone’s eyes grew and they looked at her.
“Why the fuck did you lie?!” I cried.
“Because I love you! Because I wanted us to be together, and I knew if I told you the truth, you wouldn’t want me. He had Kayla, and without you, I had no one.” She admitted.
“Maybe If you hadn’t left me and ran off to fuck him, you wouldn’t have had to fucking lie about the baby being mine.” I snapped.
“YOU agreed with me that it was for the best! And never mind the fact that I was STILL FUCKING YOU the whole time!” She shoved me.
“No shoving! This is not going to get physical.” Mike said.
“I should get a free shot to just slap the fuck out of this bitch. You do things with no regard for anyone else’s feelings or best interest at heart. You do everything for yourself. You’re a selfish bitch, Michelle.” I told her.
“I’m selfish!? You kept your addiction from me, you kept using, knowing that it could destroy our relationship, and then have the nerve to feel sorry for yourself when it DID ruin it. You left to get help after I left you for three months..”
“You turned around and cheated on me that same fucking day! Not to mention, YOU shot heroin while you were pregnant with our daughter!!” I shouted.
“The daughter that YOU KILLED!!” She was in my face now.
That set me off, and before I could think twice, I backhanded her across the face, sending her stumbling backwards to the floor.
“ENOUGH!” Mike pushes me back and helped her up.
“Enough out of both of you. What is the point of fighting about this? It’s done and over with now. You..” He turns to me, angrily, “You raise your hand to her again, and so help me God, I will kick your ass. You..” He then turned to Michelle, “Stop picking fights and getting in his face. You two fight like a couple of fucking five year olds! Grow the fuck up! You’ve both made mistakes, and said things you didn’t mean. Now we’re leaving the two of you to discuss this like adults. Kayla and I are taking Brynn, because I don’t really trust the two of you with her right now. We’ll be back in a couple of hours to see how it’s going. Meanwhile, you two either fucking work it out or separate for good, because you can’t keep doing this shit to each other.” He turned and went into the bedroom to get Brynlee’s diaper bag.
“We’ll be back when she gets hungry again.” With that, they and Chauntelle left.

I looked at Michelle, sitting at the table.
“Were you EVER going to tell me that Brynlee wasn’t mine?” I asked.
“Not unless I absolutely had to.” She answered, wiping her eyes.
“Did Mike know?” I asked.
She shakes her head, “No. he found out just now like you and everyone else.” She said.
“I want to say I can’t believe you, but honestly I can. This sounds just like something you’d do.” I sat across from her.
“Shut up. I’m a bad person, we’ve established this. Let’s move on to the important thing here.” She said.
“And that is?” I asked.
“This marriage.”
“This is not a marriage, it’s a fucking disaster.” I replied.
She rolled her eyes, “So it’s unanimous.”
“What is?” I asked.
She looked at me, “Divorce.”
Her face looked pained, and as soon as she said it, my anger dissipated and I felt tears forming.
“No no, I didn’t say that.” I shook my head.
“Chester that’s obviously where this is headed anyway.” She sniffled.
I hated seeing her cry, and she knew it.
“It doesn’t have to end that way. It doesn’t have to end at all.” I told her.
“Chester, you had revenge sex with my sister, there’s no going back from that.” She said.
“I don’t have feelings for her. It was exactly that. I’m sorry. I never should’ve sunk so low to get even.” I looked back at her again.
“You’re right. That’s low for you. You are not this person, Chester. I’ve made you into someone you’re not because of what I’ve done. This isn’t healthy.” She shakes her head.
“I can be the man I was. You just have to be the woman I married.” I told her.
“And what of Brynlee? Now that you know the truth, and the way it came out, you’re never going to be able to forgive me and be okay with raising someone else’s daughter.” She said.
“Yes I can. I’ve already forgiven you. I forgave you a long time ago. It’s myself I’m having trouble with.” I looked down at the table.
“You don’t have to forgive yourself. You acted out of spite. I started this whole thing, and I think it may be time I finish it.” She sniffled.
“Michelle, don’t.” I started.
“Look, obviously we are not compatible. We’ve both had sex with someone else, and I had another man’s baby. There’s no blurred lines here, it’s all black and white. This is not working.” She looked down.
“We’ve made mistakes, nothing we can’t move past.” I replied.
I really didn’t know why I was fighting her so hard on this, because I really had done what I did out of spite, because I wanted to hurt her like she hurt me.
Part of me wanted nothing more than for this whole charade to be over, but the other part wanted nothing more than for her to stay.
I wiped the tears away, and avoided her eyes.
“Chester, you are miserable. Hurt beyond repair by me. But here you are begging me to stay. This whole thing is backwards.” She said touching my hand.
I glanced and saw her wedding ring, and the tears started again.
“I married you for a damn reason. And I love you for the same reason. I don’t want to give up on this just yet. I’ve got too much invested in you. I’m too attached.” I said.
“You have to let go.”
“We can be who we were before the affair. Before we lost Bailee, before I overdosed. Those people are still in us, Michelle.” I looked up at her.
“Chester, no they’re not. They’re gone and have been for a long time.” She replied, gently squeezing my hand.
“Then we can be better versions of ourselves. Michelle, I am NOT letting go. Not yet. Please.” I pleaded with her, not sure if it would even make any difference at this point.
She sighed, “Where would we go from here?” She whispered.
I finally looked up, “We do what we have to do to get past all of this and make it work.” I said.
“Which is?” She asked.
“I don’t know yet. But when I figure it out, I’ll get back to you.” I chuckled.
Michelle smiled her beautiful smile, and chuckled too, “You do that.”
She scooted her chair closer, putting her arm around my shoulders, “You know I DO still love you, honey. Very much. I did what I did for you, if anything. I know you said you were okay with the possibility of the baby being Mike’s, but I guess I had the feeling that it would crush you to find out that she wasn’t yours after all. You were there for me for the entirety of my pregnancy, you took care of me. It just didn’t seem fair to you to go through all of that and come up empty handed. I lied to you because I didn’t want to see you hurt again. I love you too much, and I’ve hurt you too many times to take something this important away from you. And I never should’ve told you the truth the way that chose to do it. I should’ve broken it to you gently, and I am so, SO sorry babe.” She laid her head on my shoulder.
“I shouldn’t have done what I did either. I shouldn’t have wanted to hurt you as bad as I did. I went about it wrong. I’M sorry, Michelle.” I whispered.
She kissed my cheek, “I love you.”
I smiled, “I love you too. And no matter what, I love Brynlee, too.” I told her.
“Are you sure this isn’t going to change anything between us?” She asked.
“No baby. I love her just as much now as I did the moment she was born. Just because I didn’t create her, doesn’t mean that I don’t love her. She’s your daughter, and part of you, so I love her by default.” I said.

The front door opened and I heard the baby crying.
Michelle got up quickly, and rushed to her baby, leaving me sitting at the table.
“Well, you’re both alive, sober, and nothing’s destroyed. I trust that means it went well.” Mike said.
“Yeah, it was fine.” I replied.
He sat down, “Well, what happened?” he asked.
I looked up, “A lot of arguing, discussing and begging.” I replied, pouring a cup of coffee.
“And? What did the two of you decide?” he asked.
I looked over at him, “We’re going to try and be better people, for each other, and make this work. God willing that’s enough, anyway. How about you? How are you taking the news?” I asked, offering him coffee.
He nodded and I poured him a cup.
“Well, at first it was disbelief, confusion, and a little anger. But now I’m just grateful for her, and happy to know that she’ll be raised in good hands, by parents who love her.” he said.
“You don’t want to change her name and raise her?” I asked.
He shakes his head, “She did what she did because she didn’t want to take her away from you. She wanted you to be Brynn’s father, and I accept that. I’m 100% on board with it. Michelle is a lot of things, Chester. One thing she isn’t, is stupid. She knew what she was doing when she lied, and she had a good reason to do it.” He said.
“What about you? How do you feel about Michelle?” I asked.
He sighed, “Chester, you know exactly how I feel about her. Those feelings haven’t and will never change. I just know now that she’s yours and I have no right to steal her away by expressing the feelings I have for her. She knows how I feel, and I know how she feels, and we agree that there’s nothing between us, and it’s better we leave the past where it lies. She’s got you, and she loves you.” He said.
“I love her too. More than anything in the world.” I said.
“Did you really sleep with Chauntelle?” he asked, catching me off guard.
I looked out the window, “Yeah, I did.” I whispered.
“Why would you do something like that?” he asked.
“I was hell bent on revenge, getting her back for what you and her did to me. I mean, yeah I enjoyed the sex, but it didn’t mean anything to me.” I sighed.
“You sound like Michelle now.” He said.
“I’m serious. Chauntelle and I knew what we were doing when we did it. We knew that it was revenge, nothing more. Sure, she wants it to be something more, but it’s not going to be.” I said.
“You’d better set the record straight with Chauntelle before it really does become a problem. You don’t need any more trouble.” Mike said.

Michelle walked in holding the baby, whispering softly to her.
“She okay?” I asked.
She smiled, “Yeah, she’s fine. Just hungry.” she said, looking back down at the baby.
“She get her tummy full?” I asked, looking down at the baby.
“Yeah, she’s been changed too, wanna hold her?” She offered.
I looked at the baby, who was staring intently at me, and nodded, “Yeah, sure.”
She handed her to me, tiny and frail, and I smiled, “Hi Brynn. Hi princess.” I whispered.
Michelle looked at Mike, “So, now we have to decide-”
“It’s been decided, love.” Mike interrupted her.
She looked at me.
“Brynn is ours, Michelle. He wants us to raise her, like this night never happened. We’re going to be her parents. She’ll never know what happened between you and Mike.” I said.
She opened her mouth to speak, when Chauntelle walked in, giving me a look.
Michelle closed her mouth and looked at me too.
“Tonight never happened. That goes for EVERYTHING that was said here.” I said to everyone.
Chauntelle looked at Michelle, “You win again. You’ve always gotten everything you wanted, and apparently men aren’t an exception.” she snapped.
“He’s MY FUCKING HUSBAND, Chauntelle. He loves me, and I love him.” She snapped.
“He didn’t love you when he was fucking me. He said I was better than you.” Chauntelle cried, stepping toward Michelle.
“Now wait a minute, I didn’t say those exact words. I said you’re a better person than she is, which we ALL know to be true.” I interjected.
“Your stupid ass thought it meant something to him, you thought YOU meant something to him.” Michelle stepped toward her, and I knew that if something wasn’t done, they were going to fight.
“He never would’ve cheated on you if you hadn’t done it first. If you weren’t such a slut like mom-” Michelle shut her up by decking her in the mouth, sending Chauntelle backwards over the table and into the floor.
“I am NOTHING LIKE MOM! I may be a shitty person with fucked up priorities, but I am not an evil fucking monster. I sleep around, so what? You’re no better than me, having sex with my husband while I was in the hospital recovering from childbirth. If I’m a slut, then so are you, Chauntelle.” She shoved the table over onto its side, barely missing Chauntelle’s bleeding face.
“Mom should’ve just aborted you.” Chauntelle coughed, wiping the blood off her lips.
“Well she didn’t. I’m here and he’s mine. Come near him again, and I’ll do worse than bust your fucking lip.” Michelle turned to me, and took the baby, walking out of the room.
“For the record,” Mike looked at me, “THIS is what I meant when I said you needed to set the record straight before it became a real problem.” he knelt down and helped Chauntelle up, handing her a dish towel for her mouth.
“So that’s it? You’re just going to run back to her and let her hurt you??” Chauntelle asked.
“Chauntelle, shut up.” Mike shook his head.
“Get her out of here. Brynn and Michelle are fine.” I told him.
He helped Chauntelle out the door to the car.

I went down the hall to the bedroom, where Michelle was nursing Brynlee again.
“You okay?” I asked, closing the door.
She nodded, not looking up, “I’m fine babe. That was your fault, you know.” she said.
“I know.” I sat next to her.
“You opened this can of worms.” She looked at me this time.
“I know. I ruined your relationship with your sister. I’m sorry.” I said.
“I haven’t hit her that hard since we were kids, and she stole my favorite barbie doll. Even then, I don’t think I hit her that fucking hard.” She said.
“Yeah, I was going to tell you, you have one hell of a right hook, baby.” I chuckled.
“That just means, don’t fuck with me.” She smiled.
“I’ll keep that in mind.” I laughed.
Brynlee fell asleep, and she put her in the crib.
“I’m going to cook us something to eat, wanna help?” She slipped her arms around my waist, kissing my cheek.
“Yeah.” I smiled.

-Michelle-
We were standing in the kitchen together, me cutting vegetables while he was washing dishes.
“So, we’re a happy little family?” I asked.
He looked up, smiled and then looked back down, “Yeah. We’re going to be.” he said.
“We aren’t already?” I asked.
He shrugged, “I think the trauma of everything is still too new to really forget. But we’ll get there.” he leans over and kisses me.

Someone knocked on the door, and I turned to get it, but Chester stopped me, “After the past 24 hours event’s, you’d better let me get that, while you come up with an alibi.” he dried his hands and went into the living room.
I giggled to myself, and turned back to chopping celery.
I heard my father’s voice, “Where is she?”
“Kitchen, come on in.” Chester’s footsteps drew closer and I found myself gripping the knife handle tighter.
“Michelle Marie, we have got to talk.” My dad’s voice took me back to being a little girl again, who’d gotten caught stealing cookies or sneaking out of the house.
I looked up at him, “About what?”
He gave me a look, “About your sister’s busted lip and missing tooth.” he crossed his arms.
“You didn’t hear what she said to me, dad. She had it coming.” I remarked, tossing the celery into the frying pan.
“Michelle, I know that you’d never do something like that to your sister unprovoked. I came here to get YOUR side of the story.” he said.
I sighed, “She said that mom should’ve aborted me, and that I was just like her.” I whispered almost inaudibly.
He dropped his hands, and his eyes grew, “She said what?” he asked in disbelief.
“She did say that, me and two other people heard it, Jack.” Chester said, defending me.
“All because of what? Why would she say something so terrible?” He put his hand on my shoulder.
“She’s mad at me, because..” I trailed off, unsure of how to explain the situation.
“Because she wanted Chester for herself, and he chose me.” I finished, putting the knife down.
“What? Wanted him for herself?” He asked.
I looked at Chester, and he took the reigns, “Jack. The day that Brynlee was born, Michelle sent me home to grab a couple of things, and while I was here, Chauntelle showed up, and we started talking about the whole paternity situation and everything, and I talked myself into thinking that I needed to get revenge on Michelle for cheating on me with Mike the day after our wedding, so I uh..I had sex with Chauntelle. Because of that, she got this idea that we were going to be together, but when I told her that I still loved Michelle, and she blew up at Michelle, not counting on the fact that Michelle hits like Apollo Creed.” Chester explained.
Dad didn’t speak, he just stared at us.
“I know dad. We just keep complicating things more.” I finally said.
He sat at the table, “Michelle, you are nothing like your mother, and despite what she said, we are all very happy that you’re alive, and that you were born. But sweetheart, in the past year, you have made so many messes and caused so much trouble, that I’m starting to wonder if I should’ve just sent you to military school.” he chuckled.
I smiled, “Dad, this will be the last mess I make. The two of us are going to get our shit together once and for all, for our daughter.” I glanced at Chester.
“That’s another thing-” Dad pointed at me, “Chauntelle said that Brynlee wasn’t Chester’s baby.”
I sighed and looked at Chester, “No, biologically she’s not Chester’s, but Mike said he wants him to raise her as his, so we can be a family.” I explained.
He shakes his head, “My daughter, my daughter. I just want you to be happy. I want my kids to be happy.” he said.
I turned to stir the food.
“Chester, I do understand the idea of revenge and all that, but did it have to be my other daughter? You couldn’t have found someone else to sleep with?” he asked.
“DAD!” I cried.
“What?! It’s an honest question.” dad said.
“Truth of it is, Jack, that I chose Chauntelle because I knew it would hurt Michelle more if it was someone she was close to, especially her sister. Looking back I never should’ve done it to begin with, but I did, and now I have to face the consequences. I’m planning on going to talk to Chauntelle face to face about this, and tell her how I really feel about her.” He said.
“You’re not going alone.” I put my fists on my hips.
“Well YOU are not going with me. After last night, I don’t think you need to go, this time you might inflict permanent damage.” He mocked me by putting his fists on his hips too.
“I’ll go with him, nothing will happen with me there.” Dad said.
I looked at both of them, “Fine. If I don’t hear anything from either of you in an hour, I’m coming over.” I turned back to the food.
“That’s a deal. I’ll get my shoes.” Chester walked down the hall.

My dad hugged me, “Michelle, I love you. And I’m sorry for what she said to you. It doesn’t matter how angry she was, she had no right to say something that awful to you. You’re a little misguided and confused, but you really are a good person deep down. Chester sees that, and that’s why he’s still here. What he did was a momentary lapse of judgment, but I can see that he’s a good person too. You love each other, and you love that little girl. Just clean up this mess and don’t make any more, okay?”
I sniffled, “We won’t dad. We’re going to do better FOR Brynlee.” I whispered.
Speaking of Brynlee, I heard her fussing in the bedroom, and Chester say, “Hi princess, what’s the matter?”
I smiled, “Dad, I don’t think you’ve been properly introduced to your granddaughter…” Chester walked in holding the fussy baby, “This is Brynlee Faith Bennington.” I smiled, taking her.
Dad smiled, and I saw a tear on his face, “She’s beautiful, Michelle.”
Brynlee gazed up at him intently.
“Hello sweet girl, I’m your grandpa.” he whispered, gingerly taking her out of my arms.
Chester put his arm around me and kissed me.
“Oh you’re tiny, just like your mother was when she was born.” Dad cooed, kissing the baby’s hair.
He sniffled and looked up at me, “You did good, Mickey Mouse, she’s perfect.” he said.
I smiled, “I tried daddy. I knew that I had to do the best I could, for Bailee.” I whispered.
He looked back at the baby, “Well, you made her very proud of her mama.” He smiled.
Brynlee started to fuss again, so I took her back, “I’m going to feed her and change her diaper.” I said.
“We’re gonna get going, but I’ll call you once everything is sorted out.” Chester kissed me.
“Okay babe. Just remember, I’m not afraid to punch her again.” I said.
“Michelle.” Dad warned.
“Love you guys, go on.” I turned and walked down the hall to the bedroom.

I sat on the bed, and slipped my strap off, allowing the baby to latch on.
She looked up at me while she ate, and I smiled, “I don’t care who made you, baby. You saved my life, and I love you so much.” I whispered, kissing her hair.