Status: Most recent update: August 31st, 2019 (Two updates this weekend!)

Haner to Save the Day

Is It Butterflies? Maybe Daggers?

‘It’s been two and a half weeks,’ Veronica calculated in her head. Two and a half weeks of flirting and purposefully seeing each other in the hallways at school and still Evan hadn’t asked her out on a date. She wondered whether she did anything wrong or whether he wanted her to make the first move. She hadn’t been in this situation before with anyone; it was slowly beginning to eat her alive.

Sighing, Veronica closed her locker door and screamed, seeing Evan standing there with a beautiful smile on his face. “Jesus!” she gasped, touching her heart.

Evan’s eyes flickered with worry. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“I didn’t want to live for long anyway,” she mumbled.

“Seriously I’m sorry. I have to ask you something though,” Evan began, moving a little closer to her personal space. “I wanted to ask you out on a date.”

Her cheeks instantly flushed pink as her lip quivered. She had been waiting centuries for this and somehow, now that it happened, she couldn’t reply. All she could do was smile and nod, doing her best to contain her sheer excitement.

Smoothly, Evan held Veronica’s chin softly in his fingers. “Then I will see you tonight for dinner. I’ll pick you up with a bouquet of flowers.” And just like that, he walked away leaving her stunned.

With a tiny squeal, Veronica ran to Biology, almost knocking Nick out of his seat once she sat down.

“What’s up with you?” Nick questioned. She was grinning like the Cheshire Cat laced with super high energy he was used to from Jimmy. He was starting to worry someone laced drugs in her food.

“I’m going on my first date tonight! I’m really nervous and excited and I can’t stop talking when I’m like this. I need help and I’m running of breath.”

Nick laughed and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “First, relax. We can help out if you want it.”

“Please!”

After school, everyone, including Brian and Jimmy, participated in Veronica’s date dilemma. The twins might have been happy to help, but the other two friends were confused. Boys never helped decide what a girl should wear. What if they said something wrong? Jimmy did not want to get double slapped by Jo and Veronica.

While the boys and Jack waited down in the living room, Veronica and Jo ransacked her entire closet to see what would be “first date worthy.” Through the hurricane of clothes scattered all over her room, Veronica sighed in defeat. She didn’t see anything she liked enough for Evan.

Jo scanned over the mess of articles of fabric on the floor, the bed, and lamps. There had to be something cute enough. “Wait!” Jo exclaimed. “I have something. Be right back.” Racing downstairs, Jo ran home next door to her bedroom, grabbing the dress hanging in her closet before doubling back.

“Are you done yet?” Jimmy groaned, playing a rhythm on his thighs.

“Shut up almost!” Jo replied at the foot of the stairs. Catching her breath, she presented her outfit to Veronica.

“You want me to wear a dress?” Veronica asked incredulously. She could tolerate a lot of things, especially when her mother made her wear professional clothing to their work parties, but anything without legs was a huge no-no. She would prefer wearing a pantsuit made from a potato sack.

Jo stared at her friend. “You wanted something cute and this is it. Shut up and put it on or I’ll do it for you.”

15 minutes later, Veronica walked reluctantly down the stairs into the living room. She despised that she had to be cautious walking around now. What if she had to run away from a kidnapper? She would look like an idiot running in a dress. Continuing to grumble to herself, she stopped by the TV and looked up at the boys.

“I like it!” Jimmy declared, fist pumping the air.

Brian squinted his eyes before softening them. “You look like a true Cali girl.”

Nick punched his arm, knowing that could upset her. “Ignore him. You look great. I didn’t know you liked yellow and flowers.”

“I don’t,” Veronica grimaced. “Your sister made wear me it.”

“Because it’s cute!” Jo sang, following behind. “So we have two hours to kill. What are we doing?”

“Wait. What did your parents say when you told them?” Jimmy asked while playing with Jack’s ears as his tongue lolled back and forth.

All the color drained from Veronica’s face. She was so distracted with her date with Evan she had forgotten to ask her parents for permission. What if they told her no? She couldn’t possibly deny Evan; he would hate her forever and never speak to her again. Suddenly, she felt really warm; she couldn’t have that happen with Evan.

Ignoring everyone’s calls, she practically sprinted to the house phone. Trembling, she dialed her mom’s work number. The phone rang four times before heading to voicemail. Groaning, Veronica hung up and dialed her dad’s number. She absentmindedly played with the phone cord, hoping it would help calm her nerves.

“Peter speaking.”

“Hi Daddy,” Veronica nearly whispered.

Hi my sweet daughter. Is everything okay?” replied Peter.

Veronica nodded before shaking her head. Her dad couldn’t see her. “So, uh, can I go out to dinner with a friend?

Peter smiled. He could always read his daughter like a worn out book. “You mean date? And yes you can, but I want to know more about him when you get home little lady.

“Really? Thanks Daddy! Bye!”

Two hours later, Evan waited patiently outside Veronica’s door with a bouquet of roses in hand. He didn’t know her favorite color when the florist asked; instead he opted on an array of red, white, pink, and purple. He hoped she liked one of those colors.

The front door opened swiftly with a whoosh sound. At the same time, Evan could feel the wind knocked out of him. Veronica was standing in front of him, her usual black hair slightly wavy. She had a little makeup on, but nothing overbearing. What surprised him the most was the yellow dress with a white floral pattern. He knew she always wore pants or shorts, but the dress looked so good.

“You look beautiful,” Evan complimented, while giving her the roses.

Turning slightly pink, she thanked him and excused herself to put the flowers in water. She almost knocked Jimmy to the floor with how fast she darted to the kitchen.

“Oh my god sorry!”

Jimmy placed his hands on her shoulders. “Seeing you like this is hilarious.”

“Shut up…Jimmy I’ve never been on a date. What if it goes bad? How do I make it go well? What if it’s a disaster? How am I supposed to escape?” Veronica began becoming shriller with every question. Jack whined and hid his face in between the couch cushions.

Jimmy almost laughed again but refrained himself. Seeing Veronica come undone was the most amusing thing he had witnessed in a long time, but he didn’t want to upset her before her big date. “You have to relax,” he said. “Do you want us to follow you and wait?”

She paused before shaking her head. “No that’s crazy.”

“Sure is.”

“Wait why did you let me keep going?”

“You had to hear it for yourself. Now can you go? He’s probably about to pass out from waiting so long.”

Nodding, Veronica walked toward the front and door, looking back at her friends. They all waved bye and shouted, ‘good luck.’ She could do this; she knew it.

Evan smiled once Veronica walked out. They walked together to his car, a cherry red Mustang with a convertible top. Veronica almost gasped at how nice the car was. She didn’t know what to anticipate, but something so expensive like that did not cross her mind.

Wordlessly, Evan walked two steps ahead to open the door for her. She was surprised by the gesture. Jimmy always did that for her when they went anywhere in Brian’s car, but she thought it was because Brian didn’t want anyone to hurt his “baby.”

After she sat comfortably in her seat, Evan jogged to the driver side. “Do you want me to keep the top down?” he asked.

She shrugged. “Whatever is fine.” He nodded, choosing to activate the hood so it wouldn’t ruin her hair.

About 20 minutes later, they arrived at a fancy sushi restaurant. They were immediately seated when they entered the establishment, sitting next to the window with a perfect view of the beach across the pier.

Evan opened his menu, clearing his throat. “I’ll order for you.”

Veronica raised her eyebrow. “I’ve had sushi before. I know what to order.”

Evan laughed nervously. “I’m sorry. I’m used to people never having sushi before.”

She smiled lightly. “It’s okay.”

It was another uncomfortable silence as Evan and Veronica waited for their food. For her, she was nervous and didn’t want to say the wrong thing. For him, he didn’t know how to speak to her. She seemed so different to all the other girls he knew, he didn’t know what the right way was to approach her. But clearly, he had to take initiative.

“So, what’s your favorite thing to do around here?” Evan pressed, hoping that would lighten the tension.

“I don’t know. I’m not from around here.”

“What do you mean?”

“I moved here from New Jersey in the summer. So I’m not sure what are good places to go.”

“What’s it like there?”

Veronica thought about it before replying. “There’s a lot of traffic all the time. But the food is always good even if it’s bad.”

Evan nodded. “Is the food bad here?”

She shook her head. “No it’s pretty good. The only thing I wish you guys had was disco fries.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s fries with gravy and mozzarella.”

Before he was able to ask his next question, the waiter came back with their plates of food. He watched as Veronica prepared herself for the meal so meticulously. Taking the napkin, she folded it into a triangle and placed it on the laptop. Precisely, she poured the soy sauce into her bowl and mixed wasabi into the liquid until it turned to a dark green color. Finally, she gently placed her chopsticks on top of her soy sauce bowl and shyly connected eye contact with Evan. He smiled and gestured for her to begin her meal.

By the end of the night, Veronica couldn’t contain her laughter. Evan was a great storyteller, spending most of their dinner telling her stories from his youth and the stupid mischief he and his brothers got caught in. No one aside from Jimmy could make her feel so carefree; but Evan made her feel that way for different reasons. Evan was so relaxed and easygoing, she wanted to be able to reach that level of chill.

The night was winding down as they reached the driveway to her home. Veronica exhaled slightly, not realizing she was holding her breath. The panic began to creep in like a chill down her spine. No one told her how dates were supposed to end. She couldn’t expect a kiss; that was too forward. Should she shake his hand? Should she wave goodbye and start walking?

“What are you thinking about?” Evan asked, snapping her out of her dilemma.

“Oh nothing,” Veronica mumbled.

“Mm. Can I kiss you?”

“Oh what? I mean-”

“Shush. Stop thinking,” Evan whispered as he closed the space between them and kissed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo we all knew this would happen right?