Status: Most recent update: August 31st, 2019 (Two updates this weekend!)

Haner to Save the Day

Fake Badassery

School started in August. What was this nonsense? If Veronica was still back home, she would have had two more weeks to stay up late like a rebel and sleep all day like a lazy ass. Alas, she had to get up and prepare herself for the Jumpstart program. While taking a semi-cold shower, Veronica decided to criticize the program until it died from a heart attack, then she would visit its grave, dig up the body to stab it with a knife. This was probably a tad bit dramatic. But in complete honesty, the program was absolutely flawed. The purpose was for the upperclassmen to guide the underclassmen around the school, so no one would need a compass or smoke signals to figure out which class was where. In theory, this wasn’t a bad idea except the upperclassmen always thought they had better things to do rather than show the new students their classes. The last time Veronica went to the Jumpstart program, her tour guide ditched her for his friends and said, “You’ll survive.” What an asshole.

Since her horrible first memory of high school, Veronica attempted to use up all her freedom days before having to head back to Hell. She prepared herself so well every summer, soaking up days at the beach and playing volleyball with her friends. Her routine was a bit warped this time, and she hated it. She knew she lived five minutes away from the beach, however, her anger with her sister and parents overpowered her every move and thought. She feared not being in control of her life, the one sure thing that truly belonged to her.

Nevertheless, when Veronica popped into the school auditorium at Ocean View High School, she was less than impressed. The principal gave an unnecessary speech along the lines of unity and aiding peers in need; it was the usual boring crap that no one wanted to hear.

After the monotonous lecture, everyone was expected to pair up like a very chaotic buddy system and venture onward throughout the school. Even though Veronica didn’t want to find herself a partner, she seemed to have no choice as pairs of people began to descent to the gym. In her mind, she freaked and panicked; her face turned pinkish and felt hot while her heart beat faster. In times of pressure, she executed the only plausible solution she could think of: radiate an “I don’t care” attitude.

“Yeah right,” Veronica scoffed to herself as she remained in her seat. She would rather get lost hundreds of times in school instead of having someone show her around. But then again...when she was a freshman, she suffered through an entire week of trying to find her damned classes. It was a miracle the dean of students didn’t throw 50 million detentions at her. That was definitely not something to be proud of.

She was in a weird predicament. If she left school grounds and went home, her parents would scold her until her ancestors could hear it. Veronica contradicted herself and concluded to explore. She would never admit it, but as much as she didn’t like school, she didn’t like looking like a fool even more. Jumping out of her seat, she decided to walk around the area just to acquaint herself. There wasn’t anything majorly fantastic about her new home away from home. The building itself seemed to burst with sunlight. It could have been from all the windows and the super bright yellow walls. California seemed too cheery for no reason.

Veronica turned right into a hallway with more lockers; again, there was nothing special going on. But, it was of course about that time for something totally random to happen. It occurred in the version of a tall guy walking out of an empty classroom. The millisecond he noticed Veronica, she froze on the spot while he simply smiled. Everything would have been peachy keen except the guy walked up to her, looked down upon her, and asked, “What kind of Asian are you?”

Her face scrunched up in confusion. She gave him a quick once over. He was lanky, really pale for someone who lived in California, a few tattoos on both arms, and his black hair looked like he had gotten electrocuted. Normally, she would have felt offended with that question, but she was too fascinated by the stranger in front of her. She opened her mouth and pathetically uttered, “The good kind?”

Nooo. Like Korean, Chinese, Thai-”

“Oh, I’m Vietnamese.”

“Wow good for you! I’m Jimmy!”

“Veronica. Nice t-”

“You’re so tiny! I could fit you in my pocket and call you my imaginary friend.”

And thus, began their glorious friendship.